National Relevancy | Syracusefan.com

National Relevancy

Cuse4Life

Walk On
I was thinking about this the other day and thought I would try and see what people think and how we could get something going to create Syracuse to be relevant across the country. I feel like everyone loves documentaries where they go inside the program. A bunch of high profile programs have done them in the past and they are alway sponsored by Netflix or Amazon Prime or ESPN(+).

With all the broadcasters and high profile sports people that are Cuse alums, is there anyway we could try and get something going that would echo across the country and try and drum up some interest to future prospects?

I'm sure Dino and the coaches would love something like this...it gets prospects an inside look at how the program is moving, access to the assistant coaches to get seen by AD's and other coaches to work their way up, the athletes will get exposure and possibly help their draft status and all in all it just helps the program nationally, and if not nationally then definitely locally in the Northeast.

Obviously, this is not easy, but was just thinking maybe John Wildhack could hook us up with ESPN people and make this something of an 8 part series or something sweet like that!

You can all rip me apart for this, but just a thought to help!

I had a similar thought after watching the amazon show about michigan. They will only do it for national brands that are competing for championships. As interesting as that would be for a rebuild season, its just way too risky for a network to invest in.

I had a similar thought after watching the amazon show about michigan. They will only do it for national brands that are competing for championships. As interesting as that would be for a rebuild season, its just way too risky for a network to invest in.
Yeah. Other than fans of Syracuse, I can't imagine there would be much interest. It would be like if I heard ther was a documentary about Pitt football. They play big boy football, they have history, but ultimately, I would have no interest in watching it. I will admit however, that I watched the Florida State, and Michigan docs the last couple years, just because I find it interesting to see how the blue bloods live.

Noone ever heard of emcc juco, before last chance u... I enjoyed the Michigan doc... I liked seeing the banner we didn't steal...;)

Stuff like that is good as long as you're winning. Doing something like that would be perfect after an 8 win season.

Syracuse is most definitely a national brand. I don’t think there are any worries there. There will be weekends in the college football and basketball seasons where we will get some of the highest ratings.

The problem is trying to convince blue blood recruits of this in basketball (ahem Bazely) and football. All they associate with Syracuse is cold and snow. It’s bottom line why we can’t compete with Duke and North Carolina for recruits in basketball (and there’s every other reason why we should) and are only slowly moving up recruiting rankings in football.

I am convinced that if you just took SU a little farther south, like to Harrisburg PA and kept all the things Syracuse had to offer it would be a completely different ballgame. Sorry. I know this is an impossibility and a non-starter, but Syracuse will always have to compete with its weather stigma. And that’s the bottom line in every one of these conversations

Syracuse is most definitely a national brand. I don’t think there are any worries there. There will be weekends in the college football and basketball seasons where we will get some of the highest ratings.

The problem is trying to convince blue blood recruits of this in basketball (ahem Bazely) and football. All they associate with Syracuse is cold and snow. It’s bottom line why we can’t compete with Duke and North Carolina for recruits in basketball (and there’s every other reason why we should) and are only slowly moving up recruiting rankings in football.

I am convinced that if you just took SU a little farther south, like to Harrisburg PA and kept all the things Syracuse had to offer it would be a completely different ballgame. Sorry. I know this is an impossibility and a non-starter, but Syracuse will always have to compete with its weather stigma. And that’s the bottom line in every one of these conversations
The worst offenders with propagating this are SU fans. Southern kids know it's colder and snowier but they don't think it's any different than NYC unless they visit during a snow storm. If we embraced it like a badge of honor the way the south embraces their humidity, it may become an afterthought.

Babers would be engaging enough...

But, if you think the guy that won't let reporters at his practice for more than 10 minutes, is going to invite them into his, and his players, home? You crazy. There's not enough $$ on one side, or enough narcissism, on the other.

How about winning games!! That’s how you become relevant.
Seriously... That. Is. All. It. Takes. Enough with these redundant posts. No offence to the OP.

I was thinking about this the other day and thought I would try and see what people think and how we could get something going to create Syracuse to be relevant across the country. I feel like everyone loves documentaries where they go inside the program. A bunch of high profile programs have done them in the past and they are alway sponsored by Netflix or Amazon Prime or ESPN(+).

With all the broadcasters and high profile sports people that are Cuse alums, is there anyway we could try and get something going that would echo across the country and try and drum up some interest to future prospects?

I'm sure Dino and the coaches would love something like this...it gets prospects an inside look at how the program is moving, access to the assistant coaches to get seen by AD's and other coaches to work their way up, the athletes will get exposure and possibly help their draft status and all in all it just helps the program nationally, and if not nationally then definitely locally in the Northeast.

Obviously, this is not easy, but was just thinking maybe John Wildhack could hook us up with ESPN people and make this something of an 8 part series or something sweet like that!

You can all rip me apart for this, but just a thought to help!
Just win

Syracuse was approached about doing a Michigan-like series. They turned it down. Don’t sense Barbers wants camera crews sitting on his shoulders.

I'll take 4 seasons over 1 or 2 any day of the week.

Was grinning ear to ear while I strapped on the cross country boards the last week of April this year after we got an inch. While you saps watch your life tick away sitting in your air conditionong...you're doing it wrong.

This national relevance thing will disappear after 2 winning sea sons in a row. We will be in the 15 -20 ranking soon enough. Occasionally hit top ten or maybe playoffs. We can doooo it as they say on the Waterboy. Dome will start to fill up again and it will be rockin. Offense will start it rollin but when the defense comes around, we will be tough. Shoot, Clemson pulled themselves out of a mediocre team to what they are now and yes I know they are crazy about the fooseball but some of us are here too, just less of us.

I think the original point was that it would be cool to have some cuse football media/documentaries..

Besides that they'd never allow it, I think it could just as easily hurt the brand, with a bad year. I think there would be a market for it, but too risky.

I believe dino was approached about an opportunity after the vt win.

Its not his style and I admire that. This team should worry about performing before cameras and the baggage that comes with that.

Not to take away from the OP’s post. Its a cool idea but better suited for the NFL and flashy coaches. We’re a no non sense program and I think we’ll operate fine tuned because of that.

I'll take 4 seasons over 1 or 2 any day of the week.

Was grinning ear to ear while I strapped on the cross country boards the last week of April this year after we got an inch. While you saps watch your life tick away sitting in your air conditionong...you're doing it wrong.
Who's sitting in their air conditioning? The heat never keeps me from going outside.

Last edited:
But the cold does?
Loved snow as a kid. I hate it as an adult. I get no joy from snowmobiling, skiing, snowboarding, etc. I'd rather be wearing shorts playing basketball or volleyball in 90 degree heat. 80's are ideal but 90's are fine too. I can't do it like I used to, but that's more about age and fitness. 10 years ago I played volleyball every week for about 3 hrs at a time in temps as high as the upper 90's, may have even hit 100 a time or two.

Loved snow as a kid. I hate it as an adult. I get no joy from snowmobiling, skiing, snowboarding, etc. I'd rather be wearing shorts playing basketball or volleyball in 90 degree heat. 80's are ideal but 90's are fine too. I can't do it like I used to, but that's more about age and fitness. 10 years ago I played volleyball every week for about 3 hrs at a time in temps as high as the upper 90's, may have even hit 100 a time or two.
See I can’t take the heat and I love snowmobiling as it gets me to the adirondacks. Love it there. 3-4 ft of snow is perfect for me. It’s so peaceful comin down and laying on the trees. Now that last month snow crap I didn’t like cause it’s useless.

Yeah i dont think we can presuppose what Dino would like. He is a tough read. Sometimes he does major promotional things but then sometimes he does stuff like cancelling the spring game which seems to make little sense but he clearly has reasons. He has a very specific path he wants to take insofar as growth.

See I can’t take the heat and I love snowmobiling as it gets me to the adirondacks. Love it there. 3-4 ft of snow is perfect for me. It’s so peaceful comin down and laying on the trees. Now that last month snow crap I didn’t like cause it’s useless.
Absolutely, to each there own. I don't see anyone that dislikes the heat as a "sap" anymore than I think people that dislike the cold are. Fwiw, I can tolerate cold. I just don't like it. I hate wearing layers and often don't wear a coat until the temps are below 40.

I can't stand the cold. But New York State is home. And if there are two benefits to winter it's 1) skiing and snowboarding, and 2) a deeper appreciation for the months of May - September

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom