Naturally, I had to look it up. | Syracusefan.com

Naturally, I had to look it up.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Dino Babers has said a few times, (most recently on his last radio show), that teams that get kickoff returns for touchdowns tend, more often than not, to lose those games whereas teams that get punt returns for touchdowns tend to win them. he invited Matt Park to "look it up".

I decided to. First I looked the stats on NCAA.com. Unfortunately the rankings of kick-off and punt returners doesn't say how many touchdowns the returners scored. But the team listings for kickoff and punt returns do.

I then used SportsFeference.com, (which has been behaving rather strangely, failing to download certain things - but I was able to figure ways to get around it), to determine which players on those teams had returned kicks for scores. I then used the "Game Log" for those players to determine which game that occurred in.

Unfortunately, a fair number of what the NCAA counts as "punt returns" for touchdowns are actually blocked punts returned for touchdowns and Sports Reference doesn't. Dino had said that if you block a kick, you also usually win. For those teams I used ESPN to look at the team's schedules and looked on the scores to get their "Gamecast" page which shows how the scores were made. I checked either their wins or their losses, which ever they had fewer of.

Anyway, here are the results:

- Teams that returned kick-offs for touchdowns were 20-13 in those games. They didn't "usually lose".

-Teams that returned punts for touchdowns, (or blocked them and scooped them up or fell on them for touchdowns were 31-8.

Still Dino seems to be learning in the right direction. It does seem better to score off a punt than a kickoff. I wonder if that could have something to do with the fact that good teams return more punts and bad teams return more kickoffs and that good teams tend to defeat bad teams. :oops: :rolleyes: :cool:

Dino Babers has said a few times, (most recently on his last radio show), that teams that get kickoff returns for touchdowns tend, more often than not, to lose those games whereas teams that get punt returns for touchdowns tend to win them. he invited Matt Park to "look it up".

I decided to. First I looked the stats on NCAA.com. Unfortunately the rankings of kick-off and punt returners doesn't say how many touchdowns the returners scored. But the team listings for kickoff and punt returns do.

I then used SportsFeference.com, (which has been behaving rather strangely, failing to download certain things - but I was able to figure ways to get around it), to determine which players on those teams had returned kicks for scores. I then used the "Game Log" for those players to determine which game that occurred in.

Unfortunately, a fair number of what the NCAA counts as "punt returns" for touchdowns are actually blocked punts returned for touchdowns and Sports Reference doesn't. Dino had said that if you block a kick, you also usually win. For those teams I used ESPN to look at the team's schedules and looked on the scores to get their "Gamecast" page which shows how the scores were made. I checked either their wins or their losses, which ever they had fewer of.

- Teams that returned kick-offs for touchdowns were 20-13 in those games. They didn't "usually lose".

-Teams that returned punts for touchdowns, (or blocked them and scooped them up or fell on them for touchdowns were 31-8.

Still Dino seems to be learning in the right direction. It does seem better to score off a punt than a kickoff. I wonder if that could have something to do with the fact that good teams return more punts and bad teams return more kickoffs and that good teams tend to defeat bad teams. :oops: :rolleyes: :cool:
I am curious, if you eliminate opening half kickoff returns (these did not follow a TD by the opposition), does that change the record in any significant way?

Some of that could probably just be attributed to games where the talent gap is significant.

I wonder if that could have something to do with the fact that good teams return more punts and bad teams return more kickoffs and that good teams tend to defeat bad teams. :oops: :rolleyes: :cool:

I think you hit the 'A Bridge Too Far' closing argument of his thesis right there.

5a6e4ac4-fe93-4c87-807a-afb062773653_text.gif

Please present him with this data during the next coach’s show. I bet he will challenge you to a board game.

Basic logic:

Punts always occur after your defense stops the opponent.

KIck Offs overwhelmingly occur after your defense allows a score.

Therefore, punt returns would be more valuable in a game and more likely to lead to a win.

apologies if I missed it but how many years did you go back. 20-13 doesn't seem like a lot of data.

thanks for the analysis.

apologies if I missed it but how many years did you go back. 20-13 doesn't seem like a lot of data.

thanks for the analysis.

Those are from this year. If you want to check out other years, be my guest.

Basic logic:

Punts always occur after your defense stops the opponent.

KIck Offs overwhelmingly occur after your defense allows a score.

Therefore, punt returns would be more valuable in a game and more likely to lead to a win.

The touchdowns have the same value. The circumstances of scoring them do not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom