Navy Game Thread... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Navy Game Thread...

According to the stats the one area where we under performed was faceoffs. Anyone who watched the game see what went on there? Phaup appears to be way off in his last two games. Their guy came in at under 50%

According to the stats the one area where we under performed was faceoffs. Anyone who watched the game see what went on there? Phaup appears to be way off in his last two games. Their guy came in at under 50%

I was at the game and yes Phaup won 50% of his draws, Varello was not as hot as he had been the past few games. I was actually at the Navy/Army game the week before and the Navy fogo dominated in that contest, so while he has been under 50% for the season he's either improving or had some better luck lately.
As for Phaup perhaps he is wearing down some? Again this past week if it became a scrum he seems to take a beating physically. I think the wing play is one area this team can continue to improve. Just my opinion but when they're not winning them cleanly to me the wings often look out of position or they're not reacting as quick as the other team. I did notice against Navy that they went away from the double poles on the wings early in the game, if they had been doing that the past few games I missed it.

I was at the game and yes Phaup won 50% of his draws, Varello was not as hot as he had been the past few games. I was actually at the Navy/Army game the week before and the Navy fogo dominated in that contest, so while he has been under 50% for the season he's either improving or had some better luck lately.
As for Phaup perhaps he is wearing down some? Again this past week if it became a scrum he seems to take a beating physically. I think the wing play is one area this team can continue to improve. Just my opinion but when they're not winning them cleanly to me the wings often look out of position or they're not reacting as quick as the other team. I did notice against Navy that they went away from the double poles on the wings early in the game, if they had been doing that the past few games I missed it.

Thanks! That is good to hear that Phaup was at least 50% and it was not another UNC game where he lost the clamps by a ton and Varello bailed him out. Would not be surprised at all if he is feeling some fatigue. He has taken some beatings in a few games that have sidelined him occasionally. Chances are we will go with Varello a lot against UNC since it went so well last time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom