NBA Draft - Initial Big Board Rankings (ie - not a mock draft) | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft - Initial Big Board Rankings (ie - not a mock draft)

MikeSU02

Living Legend

Really well done by Kevin O'Connor. They always do a good job with graphics and allowing the user to scale the info up and down.

I really love Chet, but worry about hanging weight on his frame.

Out of his top 30 (again, not mock, just rank on talent), 4 are not playing college ball.

PS - Mods, thought this could go here because it's not a mock and more of a commentary on college guys, a lot who are in the dance.

Really well done by Kevin O'Connor. They always do a good job with graphics and allowing the user to scale the info up and down.

Out of his top 30 (again, not mock, just rank on talent), 4 are not playing college ball.

PS - Mods, thought this could go here because it's not a mock and more of a commentary on college guys, a lot who are in the dance.

I really struggle with how this class is going to turn out. A number of very talented guys but there is a lower floor on a lot of the high ceiling guys too.

Holmgren is fascinating. I feel like he would get broken in two in the league and yet Brandon Ingram has done ok...

I really struggle with how this class is going to turn out. A number of very talented guys but there is a lower floor on a lot of the high ceiling guys too.

Holmgren is fascinating. I feel like he would get broken in two in the league and yet Brandon Ingram has done ok...

Yeah, really torn. I was listening to a pod this morning and someone said that Chet would likely be taken by a GM that has job security, but a GM that is worrying about his job will prob take Paolo because he's the most day one ready, but limited upside. But at least it saves your job for another year.

He said someone like Presti can take Chet.

Of course, I am probably wrong for saying this, but I think a lot of the college guys in this year's draft, more than in a lot of other years, have a lot of questions. Some might evolve in a few years, but I don't see a lot of sure-fire stars. Of course, guys like, Mathurin, at #13, could always evolve, like a Donovan Mitchell did, who was selected at #13.

Of course, I am probably wrong for saying this, but I think a lot of the college guys in this year's draft, more than in a lot of other years, have a lot of questions. Some might evolve in a few years, but I don't see a lot of sure-fire stars. Of course, guys like, Mathurin, at #13, could always evolve, like a Donovan Mitchell did, who was selected at #13.

I am with you on this. This class has loads of questions and could see it as a massively weak or underperforming class when looking back in a few years.

I am with you on this. This class has loads of questions and could see it as a massively weak or underperforming class when looking back in a few years.
I'm not sold on Holmgren or Griffin. I like Keegan Murray, but he seems like more of a role player. Same with Sochan from Baylor. He's not even averaging 9 points a game and not even predicted as a lottery pick. One could argue that another year of college could benefit him.

Not a year to have a top 5 as I don't think anyone enters with no weaknesses. As with most years, I still think if teams had a chance to pass on participating entirely, they would.

I think people wondered the same thing about Kevin Durant before his draft. I'm not saying Holmgren is as good, but I don't think strength is as important as it used to be.

Yeah, really torn. I was listening to a pod this morning and someone said that Chet would likely be taken by a GM that has job security, but a GM that is worrying about his job will prob take Paolo because he's the most day one ready, but limited upside. But at least it saves your job for another year.

He said someone like Presti can take Chet.
OKC should absolutely look for a guy like Holmgren.

My thinking on the draft is that you have to take the perspective that inevitably each class is going to have really productive players that perform to or beyond their draft slot, and you just have to do your due diligence to find that guy and benefit from promo production during the rookie deal, and hopefully with enough additional upside that the 2nd contract holds a ton of value too.

Well presented list, as you said easy read and good information.

Not much of a difference between his big board and mock draft I have seen.
Obviously players are not matched to teams which would move players around a bit and there are some personal assessments, but the correlation between the two types of lists is very high.

Last edited:
I think Holmgren will be great. It’s Paolo that I assume has high bust potential.

Duke has a had such a high bust ratio with its forwards / bigs in recent years.

Bagley
Okafor
Parker

Zion may well be the exception (although the injuries are a major concern), but he was a next level prospect as well.

This season really didn't go well for Patrick Baldwin. 12 points a game, 34% FG in a poor league.

Maybe going to Milwaukee wasn't the greatest thing for him. At the same time he may have been exposed even more at another school.

Tshwiebe is a crazy rebounder though.

That's a skill that usually translates.
But in the league his only skill set woild most likely be his rebounding. Most teams aren’t taking that low of ceiling in the 1st round

But in the league his only skill set woild most likely be his rebounding. Most teams aren’t taking that low of ceiling in the 1st round
Eh, we'll see.

Lot of time for movement and teams talking themselves into dudes.

Chet has unreal body control for a guy his size and his game isn’t predicted on brawn … maybe if he were facing the Anthony Mason era knicks would I be worried .. but not now

I'm not sold on Holmgren or Griffin. I like Keegan Murray, but he seems like more of a role player. Same with Sochan from Baylor. He's not even averaging 9 points a game and not even predicted as a lottery pick. One could argue that another year of college could benefit him.
How many ppg did Scottie Barnes average at FSU?

Great example. Less than half his games, he scored less than ten and he still got recognized for his success. Kind of like the question of who was the last person to hold MJ under 20 points. We all know the answer to that.

His job is just basketball player. Kind of like Draymond, but I don’t know that he’ll be as good as a defender. Loved watching him play last year.