NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018 | Syracusefan.com

NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018

Orlando and Chicago have leaked out word that they'll match any contract Aaron Gordon and Zach LaVine receive, even if they're max contracts.

If I were in LeBron's shoes, the three teams I'd be considering this offseason would be the Lakers, Rockets, and Spurs.

Why would a team want to help the Rockets get Lebron? That would mean taking on Anderson’s salary wouldn’t it? Cleveland isn’t going to do that.

Orlando and Chicago have leaked out word that they'll match any contract Aaron Gordon and Zach LaVine receive, even if they're max contracts.
Smart posturing. Likely an attempt to lower their value.

The class this year heading into their second contracts is kinda going to get hosed I suspect.

Why would a team want to help the Rockets get Lebron? That would mean taking on Anderson’s salary wouldn’t it? Cleveland isn’t going to do that.

The same was said about the Warriors back when they signed Durant and had to find a taker for Andrew Bogut to complete the move. If the Rockets are willing to offer enough assets attached to Anderson, someone will take him. It'll be tough to find someone willing to completely absorb that cap hit, but it's possible that they can swap Ryan for a smaller cap hit and then stretch that player, reducing the new cap hit even more.

The same was said about the Warriors back when they signed Durant and had to find a taker for Andrew Bogut to complete the move. If the Rockets are willing to offer enough assets attached to Anderson, someone will take him. It'll be tough to find someone willing to completely absorb that cap hit, but it's possible that they can swap Ryan for a smaller cap hit and then stretch that player, reducing the new cap hit even more.
It's so funny to me. I try to walk the line between "These are smart people, they know what they're doing" and then have to reconcile that with some of the insane contracts they've handed to players that can't possibly be worth that kind of cash.

The smoothing proposal wasn't about helping the players, it was about front offices being protected from themselves.

A third team might like to take on the contract to dump it, creating cap space for the following year.

As far as LeBron's destination goes, I think it's clear that he's done in Cleveland. There is not enough left there to keep him, and he doesn't trust the owner or management.

Philly has the cap space, but their young talent doesn't mesh with LeBron that well, in my opinion. Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz both need the ball in their hands (if Fultz is even on the team next year). Simmons becomes kind of the odd man out if LBJ arrives.

If Bron does to Houston, where I think he would like to land, he is going to want a sign-and-trade deal, and a max deal, which then would cost Houston about 4 players off their current roster to get under the cap. They would have to reconstruct their bench, and be able to bring in a couple guys who can shoot the three and defend multiple positions. Good luck with that. They just did that to get Chris Paul. If they do it again, there's no guarantee they will be able to find good enough role players for cheap.

The Lakers have the cap room to sign 2 max players. They may dump Julius Randle, who was turning into a pretty good player, so that would hurt, but the LA market, a player's coach in Walton, a run-and-gun PG in Ball. They have some good young talent. The key here would be who is the second big star they could attract? It would have to be a big man, ideally who can also shoot the three.

Finally, you have to think about San Antonio. Their situation is a mess. LaMarcus Aldridge had a great year for them and was 2nd Team All-NBA. Then you have Kawhi Leonard. Will he be back or has he burned his bridges with the team? You've got a lot of old players on this team, Manu Ginobli, Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, Rudy Gay. Some (or most) of them have got to go. Can you build an offense of Aldrige (PF), Leonard (SF), James (G), a big man to defend the rim, and a quality to PG, so LeBron doesn't have to run the offense all the time. There would be a lot of work to do, but Popovich is a great coach, and they are a very professionally run organization, which I think will appeal greatly to James in his decision.

This should be fascinating to watch.

As far as LeBron's destination goes, I think it's clear that he's done in Cleveland. There is not enough left there to keep him, and he doesn't trust the owner or management.

Philly has the cap space, but their young talent doesn't mesh with LeBron that well, in my opinion. Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz both need the ball in their hands (if Fultz is even on the team next year). Simmons becomes kind of the odd man out if LBJ arrives.

If Bron does to Houston, where I think he would like to land, he is going to want a sign-and-trade deal, and a max deal, which then would cost Houston about 4 players off their current roster to get under the cap. They would have to reconstruct their bench, and be able to bring in a couple guys who can shoot the three and defend multiple positions. Good luck with that. They just did that to get Chris Paul. If they do it again, there's no guarantee they will be able to find good enough role players for cheap.

The Lakers have the cap room to sign 2 max players. They may dump Julius Randle, who was turning into a pretty good player, so that would hurt, but the LA market, a player's coach in Walton, a run-and-gun PG in Ball. They have some good young talent. The key here would be who is the second big star they could attract? It would have to be a big man, ideally who can also shoot the three.

Finally, you have to think about San Antonio. Their situation is a mess. LaMarcus Aldridge had a great year for them and was 2nd Team All-NBA. Then you have Kawhi Leonard. Will he be back or has he burned his bridges with the team? You've got a lot of old players on this team, Manu Ginobli, Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, Rudy Gay. Some (or most) of them have got to go. Can you build an offense of Aldrige (PF), Leonard (SF), James (G), a big man to defend the rim, and a quality to PG, so LeBron doesn't have to run the offense all the time. There would be a lot of work to do, but Popovich is a great coach, and they are a very professionally run organization, which I think will appeal greatly to James in his decision.

I'm not sure what LeBron does moves the needle that much.

Does him leaving create a new contender? I'm not certain it does.

Does him staying mean Cleveland remains a contender? I'm not sure it does.

San Antonio's situation looks a lot better if Kawhi Is signing the supermax, which is now looking more and more likely.

LA gives him the flexibility to pick his teammates and run the show and be near his business empire.

SAS gives him stability, talent and one of the best coaches of all time. If they roll out a lineup of DJM, Danny, Kawhi, Bron and LMA - that is an awesome defensive lineup with three guys that have been

They'd prob have to get rid of Patty and Pau, but SAS, imo, is going to have a legit shot at LeBron.

Houston... I can see it, but I just don't know what Hou is going to look like with CP3's contract coming up plus some of the other guys.

HOOOOOOO BOY.

This ends with GSW having to pick between Draymond and KD (pending KD's contract this year), right?

HOOOOOOO BOY.

This ends with GSW having to pick between Draymond and KD (pending KD's contract this year), right?

As far as the supermax goes, yes. The owners could theoretically decide that they're making enough money to suck it up and pay a ludicrous luxury tax to keep the core 4 together but we'll see; not many owners would be willing to do it. I'd be pretty shocked if Draymond is the one that they choose to give the supermax to...hell, he might not even be eligible for it when it's all said and done.

That is crazy - they aren't max players and are not difference makers. NBA teams kill themselves with these kind of decisions.

As far as the supermax goes, yes. The owners could theoretically decide that they're making enough money to suck it up and pay a ludicrous luxury tax to keep the core 4 together but we'll see; not many owners would be willing to do it. I'd be pretty shocked if Draymond is the one that they choose to give the supermax to...hell, he might not even be eligible for it when it's all said and done.

That's gotta be what the Warriors are hoping for. Isn't it kind of weird how much influence the award voters can have in the NBA?

That is crazy - they aren't max players and are not difference makers. NBA teams kill themselves with these kind of decisions.

Gordon and Lavine will not get close to max offers. There are not enough teams with cap space right now. In 2016 they would have got more. That was the crazy offseason.

Last edited:
The NBA needs about 12 more teams and a tournament instead of multiple 7-game playoff series.

The reason these guys are getting huge deals is that there is more money and too few roster spots.

Come on Lebron. Toronto is the one of the better situations in the East. We would even dump Demar if you like. A good young bench to work with. You like the city, like many players you do come here in the summer. Plus no Trump.

Last edited:
It seems weird to me that you would give a supermax deal to Draymond Green.
I can get his thinking.

He's got three rings.

He already took a pay cut once.

I'm not sure he's really worth that. It's not totally fair, but how good is he, versus how much did he fit perfectly with what the Warriors became?

I can get his thinking.

He's got three rings.

He already took a pay cut once.

I'm not sure he's really worth that. It's not totally fair, but how good is he, versus how much did he fit perfectly with what the Warriors became?

I in no way blame the guy, get all the money he can (plus, by the time he's up for it, he might have 4 or 5 rings). And after seeing the shirt he wore at the parade, he may even be winning me over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom