NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Were a shot away from the ECF last year so were to scared to split it up. Should reach that point this summer if they go out in round 2 again. I'd deal Embiid if I had to move 1. Simmons skill set and effort level are more trustworthy as a building block for me. What do you trade Embiid for? Crazy to think about what a good trade package is for him. McCollum/Nurkic?

I honestly have no idea what kind of package either of them would bring back. Embiid is incredible when he's healthy but health has been a gigantic question mark for him. Simmons is good when Embiid isn't next to him, but I'm still not all that sure a team built around him as the star can be a contender for anything meaningful; he's just so limited in the halfcourt still.

I do not at all envy the position Philly is in right now, especially considering all the lumps they took to get to this point.

That isn't a bad package.
I would kick around Porzingis and Jokic as well. See if either Dallas or Denver would be interested.
Jokic probably less but I think Embiid is better than Jokic.
Aldridge from SA isn't enough.
Boston needs a big but Philly wouldn't trade Embiid for Tatum or Brown.
Aldridge is old and a FA this summer. To succeed with Simmons they need to surround him with 4 shooters to keep the lane open and would need a solid 5 just for 20 mins a game or for certain matchups so doesn't need to be a star level guy. An Embiid/Towns swap would have been interesting prior to the Russell trade. Bam/Herro/Salary for Embiid make any sense if the Heat are willing to give up their '21 cap space.

If Tristan Thompson gets bought out by the Cavs (he seems a bit unwilling right now), he would seem like a good fit for the Celtics,

Would like to bring him home to Toronto as an insurance big, but seems like he would get a bigger role with Boston.
Can you resist being bought out? Here is your money, now go away.

Could have sworn I read that Memphis is going to buy him out but I could be mistaken
You heard right. While I don’t think the Clippers will be interested, I think Waiters is a better option than Collison at this point. More intriguing anyway.

They wish it were a Shaq-Kobe problem. Those two worked fine together; they just each wanted to be the guy. This is more like a rich man's version of the Monroe/Drummond/Josh Smith Pistons team; Embiid & Simmons are certainly better players than the Pistons guys but are equally a terrible fit together. They should have broken them up a while ago IMO.

I get why they keep wanting to make it work; they are both really talented players, but I agree more with you than I don't.

I don't know if I said it here, but I said to some friends for sure last year that Philly is one more relatively early playoff loss from seriously considering breaking the two of them up. This trade probably doesn't happen, but something built around Simmons for CJ McCollum or something

Can you resist being bought out? Here is your money, now go away.

Yes. The point of the buy-out would be to give the guy some, but not all, of his remaining money and he goes somewhere else. They could just outright release him maybe?

Yes. The point of the buy-out would be to give the guy some, but not all, of his remaining money and he goes somewhere else. They could just outright release him maybe?
Right, but if you just pay it off, especially if it's the last year, that's it, right.

Right, but if you just pay it off, especially if it's the last year, that's it, right.

If they just cut him, yes.

The idea of the buyout is you give the guy less than all the money he's owed, then he has a chance to make some of that up on another team. (or maybe he'll take a little less money to play on a good team)

Seems like Thompson doesn't want a buyout cause he doesn't want to lose potential bird rights in a sign and trade this summer. But I think they could just cut him? But maybe Cleveland doesn't see any benefit to cutting him and not saving any money and wants to keep open the chance to sign and trade him in the summer

Sounds like Bucks are adding Marvin Williams to the squad

Seems like a really good add for them. I know they were taking some heat for not making any trades at the deadline, but Williams is a guy who can close some games for them

If they just cut him, yes.

The idea of the buyout is you give the guy less than all the money he's owed, then he has a chance to make some of that up on another team. (or maybe he'll take a little less money to play on a good team)

Seems like Thompson doesn't want a buyout cause he doesn't want to lose potential bird rights in a sign and trade this summer. But I think they could just cut him? But maybe Cleveland doesn't see any benefit to cutting him and not saving any money and wants to keep open the chance to sign and trade him in the summer

Seems like a really good add for them. I know they were taking some heat for not making any trades at the deadline, but Williams is a guy who can close some games for them
Yeah, from what I've heard Williams has always been a good locker room guy. He'll figure out his role and be thrilled to play on a team that matters. Looks like it could be a sneaky great thing for everybody.

I think the argument that they should have called goaltending then reviewed it is a bit flawed.. If they call goaltending on the D then review it, what is the recourse if it wasnt? The shot didnt go in so would they reward a basket that didn't happen?

I think the argument that they should have called goaltending then reviewed it is a bit flawed.. If they call goaltending on the D then review it, what is the recourse if it wasnt? The shot didnt go in so would they reward a basket that didn't happen?

Usually they will do a jump ball, unless one team clearly got the rebound?

The fine will be worth every penny.

Did Portland already use its one replay? Adam Silver should give Dame a mulligan on a fine. Never seen him so emotional. He was justified.

Brutal call.

2X DPOY + home cooking.

You see the totally legitimate block he had against I forget who it was a few Saturday nights ago? (I'm sure you did) Watched the game at Turningstone, had some money on the Jazz. Unbelievable block. Made me some money. Love that guy

You see the totally legitimate block he had against I forget who it was a few Saturday nights ago? (I'm sure you did) Watched the game at Turningstone, had some money on the Jazz. Unbelievable block. Made me some money. Love that guy
I actually watch the Jazz very little. My YouTubeTV doesn't carry the channel their games are on.

I was half watching the game and immediately knew it was a goaltender . Not sure how three refs whose entire jobs involve seeing crap didn’t see it and in fact told Lillard it was clearly not a goaltend

1581218186457.png

Raptors win their 14th game in a row and are now 39-14,
3rd best record in the league.

Does it make sense that the Rockets, Jazz, Nuggets, 76ers, Heat, and Celtics, all have better odds to win the NBA Title than the Raps? I could well be biased but it seems off.

Not that it really matters. I would be very surprised if the champs were any team other than LA / Milwaukee.

Not a large payoff but I was thinking of the following:

Putting a $100 down on each of the Lakers / Milwaukee / Clippers. If any of the three win I would make at least $60, or $110 for any of the LA teams. In essence I am getting about -330 odds for one of the three winning the title. Seems like good value.

Does Golden St rise right back to one of the bigger favourites in the league next year? Or has the core slipped too much?

Curry, Green, Thompson and Wiggins as the core. (Wiggins may do better in a less demanding role)
A 2020 lottery pick and a likely 2021 lottery pick to keep or trade to build roster depth that they have lost.

I think with they might use those two picks too improve themselves now rather than drafting players.

Does Golden St rise right back to one of the bigger favourites in the league next year? Or has the core slipped too much?

Curry, Green, Thompson and Wiggins as the core. (Wiggins may do better in a less demanding role)
A 2020 lottery pick and a likely 2021 lottery pick to keep or trade to build roster depth that they have lost.

I think with they might use those two picks too improve themselves now rather than drafting players.

I think they will be at least near the top? Clippers and Lakers should both be good next year too, unless Lebron gets old. Even though I don't love the Wiggins deal.
I can definitely see them using maybe the Minnesota pick they have plus the big trade exception to bring another guy in this summer

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom