NC State Football offering every Scholarship player NIL money starting in 2023 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Football offering every Scholarship player NIL money starting in 2023

UBSU

Walk On
Pack the Wolves NIL collective announced last week that everyone on football scholarship will have a minimum salary next year of $25K, basically—“to keep up with other power-conference programs, or at least try to keep up. Not just for recruiting, but also for retaining players already on the roster who are worthy of attractive offers elsewhere.”

Football student-athletes will go out into the community monthly with the opportunity to earn $25,000 or more annually. These engagements can be charitable appearances working with youth in the community, partnering with the businesses or brands who have contributed to the football program.

Figures to be over $2M investment per year.

Pack the Wolves NIL collective announced last week that everyone on football scholarship will have a minimum salary next year of $25K, basically—“to keep up with other power-conference programs, or at least try to keep up. Not just for recruiting, but also for retaining players already on the roster who are worthy of attractive offers elsewhere.”

Football student-athletes will go out into the community monthly with the opportunity to earn $25,000 or more annually. These engagements can be charitable appearances working with youth in the community, partnering with the businesses or brands who have contributed to the football program.

The same thing SU got sanctioned for, only a lot less money involved in that case.

I believe JB lost wins over players working at the YMCA in Oneida (for reffing games etc) - in total all the players who worked there was $8,000.
We’re both right. GRob had so few wins to vacate they get lost in the shuffle.

We’re both right. GRob had so few wins to vacate they get lost in the shuffle.
His team won at ND.
Hopefully, Dino (or his successor) will do the same.

Slippery slope… just like with facilities, we will always be a step behind most of our counterparts.

The salaries will continue to get higher, loyalty will drop to nil (pun intended) and fans will slowly start to fade away.

Heard it hear first!

This is a loser that won't help them a bit. The great players are going to get and need a lot more than 25K. For some guys, this is way over paying.

His team won at ND.
Hopefully, Dino (or his successor) will do the same.
With Adrian Dantley’s son at qb. My friend’s son was at ND; I got 5 of their game day t-shirts (they had a lot left over)!

This is a loser that won't help them a bit. The great players are going to get and need a lot more than 25K. For some guys, this is way over paying.
i was thinking the same thing. That amount won't stop the poaching of their top guys and will probably help guys who aren't worth it.

What a joke this is becoming from its inception.
And the most unfortunate part of it is that, despite people caving into the trend ("just pay them"), NCAA athletics are not compensatory, nor have S-A's ever been deemed "employees". Even under the most recent SCOTUS decision, written by a dye-hard Friedmanite, college football and basketball remain amateur athletics - kids primarily getting an education and secondarily playing a sport they love. Yes colleges, and the NCAA for that matter, derive a lot of revenue from it. But this is (as SCOTUS notes) precisely because amateur sports are so popular. While a few (SEC) schools have turned their sports programs into industrial enterprises, they are all at their core educational NFP's - meaning that they either use the money to support other sports and educational programs or they return it to the member schools (like the NCAA does). These facts seem to be lost on a lot of people who cite "NCAA profit" as an excuse.

And I'll throw in some more food for thought. Not only does NIL - as currently constituted - have no place in undergraduate athletics (with very few exceptions), the number of players that actually have NIL value is quite small. The value is in the team brand. If you imagine a kid not playing for a team, other than a model or a star that blows up in the media (Zion), what's the actual commercial value of his NIL? Probably zero. From the beginning (in Florida, of course), "NIL" was really about fat-cat boosters using state laws to skirt NCAA benefits rules and buy players. That is pay-for-play. It's not right and will never fit ... outside of a G'-League or a pro franchise. The only way it could ever work is to allow kids to earn money for outside part-time work - by the hour doing ads or promotions ... not getting filthy booster money for committing to a school. We just found out what it's like to be on the "business" end of that. Horrible.

Last edited:
How many schools can survive when money becomes the real driving force to where players are playing even more than it is now. The field was already tilted and now it will become even more so to the pt that the kids will have even less ability and chances to win. facilities can help 100s of players money helps the individuals.

Something to discuss with Adam Weitsman.

Idk if I was Adam, I’d do something similar but it would only apply to starters. We can always find depth in the portal, create more competition, and I’d get more bang for my buck.

This is so wrong in so many ways. To me, it isn't what NIL was intended for. Players should benefit from sales of jerseys etc with their likeness etc. Every kid believes he is NFL bound. In reality, few will make it. Right now players get their education paid for. Hopefully, they benefit from what SU has to offer and they are just keeping their heads above water until the NFL comes calling. So Players get their schooling paid for, their living costs paid for and a lot get Pell grants.

Now, NC State players will get an additional $25,000. A large percentage of them will blow it and when their NFL dreams don't work out they will have to earn a living with out a degree. Even in today's age, having $25 K of extra money is mind boggling. Does the average SyracuseFan reader have an extra $25 K coming in?

The average player is going to find that he is better off in college than working. I think I'm going to be more of a SU soccer fan in the future