NCAA Board of Governors moves toward allowing student-athlete compensation for endorsements and promotions: | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Board of Governors moves toward allowing student-athlete compensation for endorsements and promotions:

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

At its meeting this week, the Board of Governors supported rule changes to allow student-athletes to receive compensation for third-party endorsements both related to and separate from athletics. It also supports compensation for other student-athlete opportunities, such as social media, businesses they have started and personal appearances within the guiding principles originally outlined by the board in October.

While student-athletes would be permitted to identify themselves by sport and school, the use of conference and school logos, trademarks or other involvement would not be allowed. The board emphasized that at no point should a university or college pay student-athletes for name, image and likeness activities.

The board’s recommendations now will move to the rules-making structure in each of the NCAA’s three divisions for further consideration. The divisions are expected to adopt new name, image and likeness rules by January to take effect at the start of the 2021-22 academic year.

At its meeting this week, the Board of Governors supported rule changes to allow student-athletes to receive compensation for third-party endorsements both related to and separate from athletics. It also supports compensation for other student-athlete opportunities, such as social media, businesses they have started and personal appearances within the guiding principles originally outlined by the board in October.

While student-athletes would be permitted to identify themselves by sport and school, the use of conference and school logos, trademarks or other involvement would not be allowed. The board emphasized that at no point should a university or college pay student-athletes for name, image and likeness activities.

The board’s recommendations now will move to the rules-making structure in each of the NCAA’s three divisions for further consideration. The divisions are expected to adopt new name, image and likeness rules by January to take effect at the start of the 2021-22 academic year.

It is a start. It also ensures no more college video games if likeness is not tied to the schools. At least if I am reading that right...

The gap between the big athletic factory schools with fanatical boosters and everyone else just got a lot bigger.
Which is why I think it's time for the NCAA to create a new "Premier" division. For football, mainly Power 5 conferences with perhaps a few others joining the ranks. For basketball, the Power Five plus conferences like the Big East and American - and some other conferences on that level. Let them do unionize, do endorsements, and take money from boosters. Ease transfer and practice restrictions. Figure out how academics play a role. As for the rest of the school, they keep having athletic scholarships but let them focus on academics, amateurism, and to some extent parity.

The gap between the big athletic factory schools with fanatical boosters and everyone else just got a lot bigger.
Boosters who want to pay players are already doing it. If anything this helps to level the playing field

Car dealerships can now pay players over and under the table

One step forward, two steps back

Boosters who want to pay players are already doing it. If anything this helps to level the playing field
It's also good for players that can help teams win but may not be that marketable. If JB likes a guy that rebounds and blocks shots but might not sell many sneakers, he can hit up a booster to sponsor the kid.

I think this is a monumental bad decision on the part of the NCAA. I know why they did it, with the challenge from the G league an all, and the ramifications that posed to the NCAA.
I think the better course would have been to allow Athletes to promote themselves but limit each player to no more than $10,000.00 (you insert the amount) a season. Any additional money the players account earned would be split 50/50 with the school and the athlete. With the 50% going into a escrow account to be paid once the Athlete goes pro, or has completed his/her college education. The other 50% that would go to the athletes school would be mandated to a scholarship fund for exceptional needs students, and for that use only.
Just a thought, I'm sure there are countless reasons why this approach was not chosen.

Car dealerships can now pay players over and under the table
There is no cap on the amount players can be paid by businesses. The football recruiting bidding battles between Alabama and LSU boosters is going to be epic.

Let the bidding begin ... ! Unleash the dogs of war !
This is the end of the game I so dearly loved !

I think this is a monumental bad decision on the part of the NCAA. I know why they did it, with the challenge from the G league an all, and the ramifications that posed to the NCAA.
I think the better course would have been to allow Athletes to promote themselves but limit each player to no more than $10,000.00 (you insert the amount) a season. Any additional money the players account earned would be split 50/50 with the school and the athlete. With the 50% going into a escrow account to be paid once the Athlete goes pro, or has completed his/her college education. The other 50% that would go to the athletes school would be mandated to a scholarship fund for exceptional needs students, and for that use only.
Just a thought, I'm sure there are countless reasons why this approach was not chosen.
I’m against the limits. If someone is offering to pay the kid, it’s not going to cost me anything. And the school won’t have to raise tuition or cut programs. I’m less concerned about parity then the athletes getting what they are entitled to

Last edited:
Syracuse will not have the means to compete with schools from large mega metropolitan areas. The audience available to say a business in Chicago is worth so much more than CNY. Hence the money/players will flow more freely in large media markets, which Syracuse is not ! Perhaps some schools will have donors with mega businesses and the school spirit to match, but that does not sound like Syracuse to me, I hope I'm wrong !
I see money, not basketball moving to the forefront.

Syracuse will not have the means to compete with schools from large mega metropolitan areas. The audience available to say a business in Chicago is worth so much more than CNY. Hence the money/players will flow more freely in large media markets, which Syracuse is not ! Perhaps some schools will have donors with mega businesses and the school spirit to match, but that does not sound like Syracuse to me, I hope I'm wrong !
I see money, not basketball moving to the forefront.

There will be more money to be made in Tuscaloosa and Lexington than Chicago or New York.

There will be more money to be made in Tuscaloosa and Lexington than Chicago or New York.
Perhaps you are right, but that only amplifies my point !
The bidding wars will be epic !!!!

Nobody cares about college sports in large cities. You’re basically saying Georgia Tech and BC suddenly have a HUGE advantage in the ACC. I’m not seeing it. People as usual are SCARED of change.

Nobody cares about college sports in large cities. You’re basically saying Georgia Tech and BC suddenly have a HUGE advantage in the ACC. I’m not seeing it. People as usual are SCARED of change.
I spoke of media market size, demographics in advertising are king, don't know how much you know about this subject , I made my living understanding and utilizing demographics. Perhaps you are right, still I would like to see the sample size you took to reach your conclusion !
No disrespect intended, but in my experience broad statements tend to be based on opinion rather than facts.

This might spread out the talent. One great player will have more options at one school versus 5-6 great players at one.

this...our assistants need to be on their game and change with the times when it comes to bringing in guys like Dior. SELL them on the opportunities. Some coaches/recruiters will thrive and others wont. Not like it's much different then it is now but we have a lot to offer to these kids.

This is too great not to share.

download.jpeg