NCAA Early Recruiting Vote Passes | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Early Recruiting Vote Passes

Great article. Interesting to see Galloway's comments about where he was as a sophomore.

Also noteworthy is that the lacrosse participation rate has leveled off. It was bound to happen due to the lack of expansion at the collegiate level but I'm surprised it's happened this soon.

Lacrosse is not a hard sport to pick up. I know times have changed but I'm sure a physically gifted sophomore in high school could still pick up the sport and be exceptional.

There are a few guys in my town's youth program who try to make it into hockey (start em early, make it close to year round, add a travel option).

I'm hoping they lose interest after their kids age out in a few years because they've already turned off a large number of families in our town who would have their kids try the sport.

Completely agree with the delaying the process until a recruit is 16/17 years old, has matured a little more mature physically & emotionally, and has become a better player. Wonder what this vote will mean to current 2019 & 2020 verbal commits?

Completely agree with the delaying the process until a recruit is 16/17 years old, has matured a little more mature physically & emotionally, and has become a better player. Wonder what this vote will mean to current 2019 & 2020 verbal commits?
It won't effect the 19s, they will be Juniors next fall and most 18 & 19 classes are pretty full. Most aggressive coaches are hammering away at 21s (and some 22s) to try to lock them up before this regulation passes. It will be interesting to see how coaches handle revisiting some kids they may have missed.

"A verbal commitment is worth less than the paper it's written on."

"A verbal commitment is worth less than the paper it's written on."
Agreed but you rarely hear about schools backing out of those agreements with the player. You only hear about the players changing their plans.

Wow this is a major development. This will change things for years to come.

Well glad we got the 2020 kids we did while we had the chance. Interesting developments for sure. I can see a lot of positives for this but also some negatives for a school like SU. Without ER we might now have Matt Magnan and Griffin Cook coming our way in 2018.

Well glad we got the 2020 kids we did while we had the chance. Interesting developments for sure. I can see a lot of positives for this but also some negatives for a school like SU. Without ER we might now have Matt Magnan and Griffin Cook coming our way in 2018.
How does this ruling impact the 2019/2020 kids that have already committed?

any way they can roll this out to Hoops and FBall?
Every NCAA sport sets its own rules on recruiting. There's nothing to stop a coach/administrator/faculty rep in any sport from proposing a rule like this if it isn't already in place.