NCAA investigating Arizona / Sean Miller | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigating Arizona / Sean Miller

So are we to assume the legal investigation is wrapping up with the whopping toll of 3 o 4 assistant coaches, or just the AZ part?

So are we to assume the legal investigation is wrapping up with the whopping toll of 3 o 4 assistant coaches, or just the AZ part?
I'm not assuming anything when it comes to the NCAA. They're inconsistent, slow, etc.

Pete Thamel and Dan Wetzel have a tremendous piece on the problem Miller and Arizona have going forward.

Wetzel is the best in the business reporting on sports / legal issues. It’s a great read...but long.

Last edited:
The legal investigation only found grounds to accuse assistants in wiretaps, etc., otherwise they would have had no compunctions whatever against charging head coaches, administrators, whomever. The FBI has finally given its permission to the NCAA to proceed with its administrative investigations and, apparently, has turned over all the materials (like the wiretap transcripts) that were part of the public record over to the NCAA for its use.

The NCAA has not been dragging its feet on this because until all the trials were over and the FBI gave them permission and, more importantly, the materials they had no evidence they could use against anyone that would stand up to any sort of scrutiny. And, before you start talking about $$$$, the NCAA's contract with CBS runs through 2024. No school's presence or absence from the tournament will come into play until about 2022 or 2023 when negotiations for the new one begin. I seriously doubt that the contract will be worth less than what is paid now only because {fill in the name of an accused school} won't be part of the tournament for 3 or years of a decade-long contract. (This last one was for 14 years.) That is the only contract that is of concern to India-noplace since they get $0.00 from any sport's regular season.

Last edited:
Who are the other schools?
Without resorting to Google, I remember mentions of Louisville and Miami and the Miami mentions were of Larranaga's being directly involved.

I remember that about a year ago Wetzel predicted that 20 Power 5 coaches (or 1/3 of P5 coaches) were in danger of losing their jobs because of the scandal.

Teams identified in FBI probe

The list of schools identified in the FBI probe, as reported by Yahoo! Sports, is divided into three distinctions: players who received impermissible benefits and preferential treatment, players identified in expense reports by former ASM employee Christian Dawkins and players who met with Dawkins.
-- Some schools appear in multiple categories.

Potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families (including schools that had players who received $10,000 or more in questionable benefits):
Duke
North Carolina
Texas
Kentucky
Michigan State
USC
Alabama
NC State
Seton Hall
LSU
Maryland
Washington

Schools named in Dawkins' expense reports (seeking reimbursement for thousands of dollars he reported as being paid to college and high school players and their families):
South Carolina
Louisville
Utah
Xavier
Wichita State
Clemson
Kansas
Michigan State
USC
Texas

Schools that had a player or player's family listed as meeting with Dawkins:
Alabama
Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
Iowa State
Duke
Kentucky
North Carolina
Creighton
Texas
Virginia

Schools with active players implicated:
Alabama (Collin Sexton)
Duke (Wendell Carter)
Kentucky (Kevin Knox)
Michigan State (Miles Bridges)
South Carolina (Brian Bowen)
Texas (Eric Davis Jr.)
USC (Bennie Boatwright)

Schools with former players implicated:
Clemson
Creighton
Iowa State
Kansas
Louisville
LSU
Maryland
NC State
North Carolina
Notre Dame
San Diego State
Seton Hall
Utah
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Washington
Wichita State
Xavier

I know in advance that the NCAA will F this up, but its about time that this rogue program gets some rocks overturned to expose the blatant cheating.

Report: Arizona, Sean Miller under NCAA inquiry

Espn ran that story about him being caught on wires. Miller denied but espn refused to retract. However, miller never sued for defamation. Will be interesting to see what evidence the feds have on him. The ncaa could ask miller questions about stuff that isnt necessarily admissions to cheating but miller could be punished for lying nonetheless. Also, richardson recently pleaded. Maybe more evidence will be turned over or has been recently.

With all this stuff swirling around the UA program, how in the H*** do they still have the #1 recruiting class?

I spend a lot of time in Tucson. It's a beautiful place. But it has 3% African American population. They haven't won an NC in over 20 years. And the Pac 12 is a train wreck. What gives?

I spend a lot of time in Tucson. It's a beautiful place. But it has 3% African American population. What gives?
What does the black population have to do with anything? If that was the case Temple would be getting all the best recruits.

With all this stuff swirling around the UA program, how in the H*** do they still have the #1 recruiting class?

I spend a lot of time in Tucson. It's a beautiful place. But it has 3% African American population. They haven't won an NC in over 20 years. And the Pac 12 is a train wreck. What gives?
Not meant as a joke but the coeds are top shelf and don't need to wear 12 layers five months a year. In fact they wear a 1/2 a layer. Plus everything is beautiful down there.

I remember that about a year ago Wetzel predicted that 20 Power 5 coaches (or 1/3 of P5 coaches) were in danger of losing their jobs because of the scandal.

Teams identified in FBI probe

The list of schools identified in the FBI probe, as reported by Yahoo! Sports, is divided into three distinctions: players who received impermissible benefits and preferential treatment, players identified in expense reports by former ASM employee Christian Dawkins and players who met with Dawkins.
-- Some schools appear in multiple categories.

Potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families (including schools that had players who received $10,000 or more in questionable benefits):
Duke
North Carolina
Texas
Kentucky
Michigan State
USC
Alabama
NC State
Seton Hall
LSU
Maryland
Washington

Schools named in Dawkins' expense reports (seeking reimbursement for thousands of dollars he reported as being paid to college and high school players and their families):
South Carolina
Louisville
Utah
Xavier
Wichita State
Clemson
Kansas
Michigan State
USC
Texas

Schools that had a player or player's family listed as meeting with Dawkins:
Alabama
Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
Iowa State
Duke
Kentucky
North Carolina
Creighton
Texas
Virginia

Schools with active players implicated:
Alabama (Collin s e xton)
Duke (Wendell Carter)
Kentucky (Kevin Knox)
Michigan State (Miles Bridges)
South Carolina (Brian Bowen)
Texas (Eric Davis Jr.)
USC (Bennie Boatwright)

Schools with former players implicated:
Clemson
Creighton
Iowa State
Kansas
Louisville
LSU
Maryland
NC State
North Carolina
Notre Dame
San Diego State
Seton Hall
Utah
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Washington
Wichita State
Xavier
Wow - this is an impressive list. In terms of enforcement, I almost worry it is too many schools. How are they going to have the resources to investigate it all? If all our guilty, it will damage college basketball, is the NCAA going to go that far? If it were a handful of schools that were the most egregious offenders, then they could focus more on those. And it would be realistic to sacrifice a couple of programs for the sake of teh sport. I'll nominate Duke and Kentucky as those schools :)

Same question goes for Louisville.

Where the has this been??! I want all those coaches that sit on a throne of lies to go down! The programs too!

Last edited:
From the Thamel/Wetzel/Forde article on yahoo sports: "Arizona administrators, along with the nearly dozen other programs that could find NCAA scrutiny, have to go through the tricky calculus of figuring out whether they want to risk anything incriminating emerging or be proactive. Arizona has hired extensive outside legal help to investigate Miller’s role, including hiring Paul Kelly of the Boston-based law firm Jackson Lewis to investigate. Arizona has reportedly paid more than $1 million for 3,100 hours of legal work overall for the case, according to the Arizona Republic. Regents chair Ron Shoopman was quoted in the Arizona Republic in November saying the school was “aggressively pursuing the facts” in the case.

Arizona’s board has met twice in executive session to discuss Miller’s future, including as recently as Jan. 24, to discuss “legal advice” regarding “University of Arizona Men’s Basketball.
”"

All you need to know about Universities and college sports is that Arizona felt it necessary to spend in excess of $1,000,000 on an investigation of Sean Miller and have its board of Regents have at least two meeting dedicated to discussing Miller and he is still employed?

And it really hasn't even gotten interesting yet. What does that say about where their priorities lie? Aren't they an academic institution? Do they spend that much money and effort on academic pursuits?

Clearly $$$ gives...

At UA hoops moves the needle more than anywhere else in the country - save maybe KU, UK and Duke. Alums definitely believe they are a perennial top 5 program. And the boosters (at least the ones I know or know of) are rabid.

It can be a little culty down there. Not much else going on. Especially since Tucson lost spring training.

Without resorting to Google, I remember mentions of Louisville and Miami and the Miami mentions were of Larranaga's being directly involved.

Funny that the Yahoo article listing schools above doesn’t include Miami at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom