NCAA legislation | Syracusefan.com

NCAA legislation

“Hey, Billy Bob!
Come play for us and Joe’s Cars will pay you $50,000 per year if you appear in just one advertisement for them.”

“That’s nice coach, but State has a similar opportunity that pays $75,000, and Burger Bob’s will have a burger named for me for another $25,000. How badly do you want me?”

“Hey, Billy Bob!
Come play for us and Joe’s Cars will pay you $50,000 per year if you appear in just one advertisement for them.”

“That’s nice coach, but State has a similar opportunity that pays $75,000, and Burger Bob’s will have a burger named for me for another $25,000. How badly do you want me?”
That would be perfect. The kids will finally start to get what they deserve.

Anyone who thinks this will change the balance of powers, I respectfully disagree.

Here is look into the future. The schools who will have the best “profit from name use” deals are the same schools who already dominate the top recruiting rankings. The spoiler is that all that money that will flow directly to the kids is currently flowing to “nap rooms”, “indoor put put” and other ridiculous amenitities/facilities. Not to mention boosters paying for $10+ million coaching/staff salaries.

I am all for the kids getting perks if their fans want to pay. This will just be another avenue for the fans to show their support.

That would be perfect. The kids will finally start to get what they deserve.

Anyone who thinks this will change the balance of powers, I respectfully disagree.

Here is look into the future. The schools who will have the best “profit from name use” deals are the same schools who already dominate the top recruiting rankings. The spoiler is that all that money that will flow directly to the kids is currently flowing to “nap rooms”, “indoor put put” and other ridiculous amenitities/facilities. Not to mention boosters paying for $10+ million coaching/staff salaries.

I am all for the kids getting perks if their fans want to pay. This will just be another avenue for the fans to show their support.

A ruling allowing players to get paid for name use will completely ruin the game and drive a huge wedge between the haves and have nots.

And believe me, Syracuse will be a have not.

Big booster schools with alumns that donate will get even more recruits and 5 star kids than they do now.

It's crazy to advocate for this.

Equal stipends and COA are fine but when u dont put limits on things, stuff will get completely out of control and it will get abused.

paying kids is great for the kids, terrible for the sport, which in the long run means bad for the kids.. in bball you will end up with 10 teams getting everyone and the rest hoping to compete for scraps..

in fball it will be 5-7 teams.

if parity goes down, so does the popularity of the sport and thus less people care and pay for the kids name..

its the sport that has created the scholarships not the kids.

A ruling allowing players to get paid for name use will completely ruin the game and drive a huge wedge between the haves and have nots.

And believe me, Syracuse will be a have not.

Big booster schools with alumns that donate will get even more recruits and 5 star kids than they do now.

It's crazy to advocate for this.

Equal stipends and COA are fine but when u dont put limits on things, stuff will get completely out of control and it will get abused.
Even the former head of the NCAA, who came up with the term "student athlete", admits that the NCAA is a plantation system...

The Alston case may blow the lid off "amatuerism", in this multi-billion $$ industry, anyway. Waiting for the final ruling.

This bill is allowing players to profit off of their likeness, as they might anywhere else in a free society. Not to be paid by the schools.

There are numerous ways to balance competition.

As you say, it could affect competition, just like in the real world.

Even the former head of the NCAA, who came up with the term "student athlete", admits that the NCAA is a plantation system...

The Alston case may blow the lid off "amatuerism", in this multi-billion $$ industry, anyway. Waiting for the final ruling.

This bill is allowing players to profit off of their likeness, as they might anywhere else in a free society. Not to be paid by the schools.

Then the NCAA would have to put a cap on recruiting in some way or it will end up hopelessly unbalanced.

Because you cant legally cap compensation for someone's likeness I would guess.

The pro leagues all have a salary cap to keep competition somewhat equal.

How would something like that be accomplished in college when it is an individual being compensated and not by the league or college?

Boosters would make a mockery of this.

Man I hope so...its all I can do to keep my old version working still. lol
Hah! There's a cult around that game, with folks updating rosters every year. Wanna play as Dungey, in the camping world game? Go right ahead..

I'm guessing most kids would agree to it for the price of a free game - just so they could play as themselves.(on a current system)

Then the NCAA would have to put a cap on recruiting in some way or it will end up hopelessly unbalanced.

How would something like that be accomplished in college when it is an individual being compensated and not by the league or college?

Bag men and sneaker companies have been paying players for years.

There have been models where just compensating athletes from the Y-O-Y increase in revenue wouldn't affect title iX. As conferences equally share the wealth, any compensation could be balanced between the haves, and have nots.

Endorsements, not so much.

Something is going to give, regardless, IMO. IIRC, the NCAA believes it will lose the Alston case

Last edited:
What happens when next 5 star recruit is given 100k contract by Joe’s Auto World and the kid isn’t good enough to get off the scout team? Then what?

How long will the gravey train last and what happens to the staff for not playing the kid?

How great would Jalen Carey’s name be up on Fucillos billboard? Im sure that would generate a lot of traffic/sales. Not very well spent money. Are we thinking 1 year deals?

Hah! There's a cult around that game, with folks updating rosters every year. Wanna play as Dungey, in the camping world game? Go right ahead..

I'm guessing most kids would agree to it for the price of a free game - just so they could play as themselves.(on a current system)
Oh yah. I get the new rosters every year. Lol. Play itbyear round until the next ones come out.

Could add an economic component to the scholarship. Max earnings on scholarship are X. If you make more than that, no scholarship, and must pay for school

Could add an economic component to the scholarship. Max earnings on scholarship are X. If you make more than that, no scholarship, and must pay for school
Yepp. Luxury tax? If it happens, they'll have to figure something out.

Pro leagues have drafts and salary caps, and negotiated collective bargaining.
I can see boosters just telling the 5 star recruits I'll pay you 50K a year for your likeness and we'll figure out later the least amount of work you'll need to do for that money. This precedence solves nothing. Just throw money at kids for no show jobs, sorry for their likeness'.

The
Pro leagues have drafts and salary caps, and negotiated collective bargaining.
I can see boosters just telling the 5 star recruits I'll pay you 50K a year for your likeness and we'll figure out later the least amount of work you'll need to do for that money. This precedence solves nothing. Just throw money at kids for no show jobs, sorry for their likeness'.
They do that already. Even sneaker companies do - but were fools enough to get caught.

“Hey, Billy Bob!

Wasn't there a certain car dealership, in certain central NY city, that gave certain players, free use/ownership of vehicles? I'm certain someone told me that. (Dunno if true)

While everyone seems to be concentrating on the school A vs. school B stuff, what folks may not be considering is how the dynamics within the team could be poisoned by the money. I'm sure there are cliques and resentments at present, how much worse could they become when money enters the picture?

While everyone seems to be concentrating on the school A vs. school B stuff, what folks may not be considering is how the dynamics within the team could be poisoned by the money. I'm sure there are cliques and resentments at present, how much worse could they become when money enters the picture?
I'd have to think it'd be like any company that pays it's employees different wages, based on what they bring to the table.

Ruling for Alston vs. NCAA is expected any day. At least one P5 commissioner anonymously said the NCAA will lose. If they don't, a bill in Washington may be close behind. At some point, the model will change.

Each player at Texas brings in about $1.5 mil, year. If you were to use the NFL model, all 85 kids would be worth $700K, average. I'd never advocate for paying them that, I like the Title IX model. With the #'s being so crazy, I just think something has to give.

I was an @$$holio when I had $100 at 20 years old... if you’d given me $50k, good chance I’d be dead.

Within the team, I honestly just think it’d fueled the fire. And you’d have things happen that happen around money.

Honestly, doesn’t matter the company/team or age imo. I struggle to see a model where the compensation isn’t equal. If there was, there’d be complete anarchy for the first couple years until it was accepted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom