NCAA OT rules change for 2019 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA OT rules change for 2019

so could you drop kick a XP and win if the other team misses its 2 pt conversion?

Stupid. What are we trying to do here? Protect our 22 year-old athletes? How does this do that - by guaranteeing they don't have to run 20 yards downfield? Or are we trying to protect the ESPN/ABC/CBS/etc. game windows?

Again, stupid. Legislation for the sake of legislation, with no real purpose that I can determine.

/baseless rant

I know, I know, there have been only a minuscule percentage of games that have gone 5 or more OT's. But this is what they are spending their time on...
1556058094310.gif

Stupid. What are we trying to do here? Protect our 22 year-old athletes? How does this do that - by guaranteeing they don't have to run 20 yards downfield? Or protect the ESPN/ABC/CBS/etc. game windows?

Again, stupid. Legislation for the sake of legislation, with no real purpose that I can determine.

/baseless rant

I know, I know, there have been only a minuscule percentage of games that have gone 5 or more OT's. But this is what they are spending their time on... View attachment 160905

Who doesn't love a 7 OT game starting at 10:30PM on FS1?

I think they went the wrong way on this. The ball should be moved back for all OTs, maybe to the 40 or 50, so that a team has to show at least a little offense to get in fieldgoal range. I think eliminating the gimme fieldgoals would help end a few more of these games in the first OT.

Last edited:
Put the "foot" back in football. alternating FG's to win the game, progressively getting deeper and deeper. Start at 25, then move back 5 yards. Full team, full rush.

I think they went the wrong way on this. The ball should be moved back for all OTs, maybe tomthe 40 or 50, so that a team has to show at least a little offense to get in fieldgoal range. I think eliminating the gimme fieldgoals would help end a few more of these games in the first OT.
This is the solution. Start the possession at the 50 and you would see a lot less multiple OTs.
It would force a team to gain 2 first downs to feel they could be in FG range.

College OT is fine. How many 5 OT games were there in the last 10 years? Under 20?

32% of overtime games have multiple overtimes. That seems like a lot to me.

If you think so. I think a smaller percentage of games should go past one overtime.

The rule change only applies to games going 5OT or more ... I'm with you - I think your 32% stat is pretty crazy - but almost none get to 5OT

Honestly, they should have announced they were flipping a coin once they get to 5th OT.

The rule change only applies to games going 5OT or more ... I'm with you - I think your 32% stat is pretty crazy - but almost none get to 5OT
Right. That's why I prefer moving the ball back right from the start. I think it would end more games in the first overtime.

How about playing only 3 and then declaring it a tie in regular season games? A definitive outcome is really only needed in conference championship and playoff games.

Put the "foot" back in football. alternating FG's to win the game, progressively getting deeper and deeper. Start at 25, then move back 5 yards. Full team, full rush.
After the 1st possession, make each team have to score a td, and 2 point conversion.

It's football not futball. That gave me visions of penalty kicks to win a soccer game.

It's football not futball. That gave me visions of penalty kicks to win a soccer game.
I agree. I always felt football needed waaaaay more kicking, and less actual football.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom