NCAA Relocating 2021 Men’s Basketball Championship Sites to Indiana | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Relocating 2021 Men’s Basketball Championship Sites to Indiana

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee announced today the relocation of 13 predetermined preliminary round sites for the 2021 Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.

In recent weeks, the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee has engaged in a thorough contingency planning process to determine the most effective way to conduct a safe and healthy March Madness for all participants for the 2021 championship. Through these discussions, it became apparent to the committee that conducting the championship at 13 preliminary round sites spread throughout the country would be very difficult to execute in the current pandemic environment. The committee has decided the championship should be held in a single geographic area to enhance the safety and well-being of the event.

As a result, NCAA staff are in preliminary talks with the State of Indiana and the city of Indianapolis to potentially host the 68-team tournament around the metropolitan area during the coordinated dates in March and April. Indianapolis was already slated to host the Men’s Final Four from April 3-5, 2021.

1605544846838.png

This idea makes sense. Just wondering how many arenas they have in Indy to play all the games or what the set up will be

This idea makes sense. Just wondering how many arenas they have in Indy to play all the games or what the set up will be

You need 4 sites minimum. 8 would be better to account for practice time.

4 quadruple headers on Thursday & Friday

4 double headers on Saturday & Sunday.

Question is, does Indy have enough hotel space to accommodate 64 teams for the 1st two days.

You need 4 sites minimum. 8 would be better to account for practice time.

4 quadruple headers on Thursday & Friday

4 double headers on Saturday & Sunday.

Question is, does Indy have enough hotel space to accommodate 64 teams for the 1st two days.

Assuming no fans are allowed they should have plenty of room. Even if fans are allowed at 50% still plenty of room.

That makes sense. They are a bit of a drive from each other, but you are looking at that no matter where you do it I think.

I read Indianapolis has over 7,000 hotel rooms so no issue there. Also they can construct courts at the convention centers for practice like TBT.

Lucas Oil, Pacers, Hinkle, IUPUI, and several large HS's can host. If extended to 60mins drive you get Purdue, IU, Indiana State, Ball St etc. Indy is a good choice.

Assembly Hall in Bloomington is only 45 miles south...but a major complication is that the main artery between them will be closed for all of 2021 due to I69 construction. The circuitous alternative route will make this more like a 90 min drive.

I read Indianapolis has over 7,000 hotel rooms so no issue there. Also they can construct courts at the convention centers for practice like TBT.

Lucas Oil, Pacers, Hinkle, IUPUI, and several large HS's can host. If extended to 60mins drive you get Purdue, IU, Indiana State, Ball St etc. Indy is a good choice.
So for the first weekend you’d be looking at 68 teams. Have to wonder if they’d be looking to use dorms that first weekend if the campuses are shut. Just not sure how the logistics of all this works.

So for the first weekend you’d be looking at 68 teams. Have to wonder if they’d be looking to use dorms that first weekend if the campuses are shut. Just not sure how the logistics of all this works.

Probably not ideal but if you for play at Purdue or IU they can bus from Indianapolis to the game and back. But I think if you used four venues they can hold four games each day? 12pm 3pm 6pm 9pm and some variation of that.

Indianapolis Venues: Hinkle, Pacers Arena, Farmers Coliseum (IUPUI), and Lucas Oil Stadium or one of the mega HS arenas (5k+)
Secondary Venues: Purdue, Indiana, Ball St, Indiana St. Those are all about an hour and change from Indy.

Lol- someone doesn't want to get stuck playing outside one of the Carolinas or VA the whole tournament. Way too unfair for the tobacco roaders...
If I were in charge of the NCAA I would do this for college hoops 2020-2021.

I don’t know how many teams their are but if they want to play in a pandemic season play less games but a World Cup style schedule.

It would be like WCQ you play 10 teams home and home. 20 game season.

Top 2 teams qualify remaining 8 do play in conference tournament style tournament. Play in tournament for an additional spot.

These schedules are going to be ridiculous this year with cancellations.

You conferences and regional games to fill out groups.

This season is weird already.
Then you sent group winners , 2nd place teams and 3rd place conference tournament winners teams to the tournament bubble in Indianapolis.

The draw would be amazing to watch.

this is a really smart plan, and the idea of tourney games in a big HS gym for one of the sites is kind of great. we have no clue as far as fans/hotels etc. A vaccine will be hitting a pretty decent chunk of the population by then more than likely, but it's a two dose vaccine, this is indoors not outdoors etc. could be partial attendance by then, but who the hell knows?

Interesting. Guess that will probably solidify the date and it won't be pushed back to get more games in unless Indianapolis and tv broadcast partners agreed to have a few windows open to play the games

You need to play 16 1st round games on Thursday, and 16 1st round games on Friday.

That's 4 quadruple-headers at 4 different arenas. Which is really no different then what they do now. Only this year, all 4 arenas will be in Indiana instead of being spread across the country.

Games on CBS, TBS, TNT, and TruTv. Each network gets 4 windows each day. Same as usual.

As long as there's enough hotel space to handle 64 teams, it'll work.

Distance from Lucas Oil to Mackey is 69.2 miles. Distance from Lucas Oil to Assembly Hall is 53.6 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom