NCAA rules Memphis F/C James Wiseman ineligible | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA rules Memphis F/C James Wiseman ineligible

Memphis not playing. Peep the shirts

So they have a clear and obvious major recruiting violation involving the likely #1 draft pick and get called out by the NCAA and now they are the poster child of being victimized?

For 1/100th of this malfeasance Syracuse was held in a pit in the NCAA's basement for 10 years while Buffalo Bobby Cremins yelled down "IT PUTS THE LOTION ON THE SKIN!!"

Tark the Shark won in court didn't he?
Not like you think he did. The Supreme Court upheld the NCAA's right to investigate schools, which was his main suit against them. Tarkanian much later got an out-of-court settlement from the NCAA for "harassment".
Seriously I hope this is what breaks the NCAA.
I, too, eagerly await an era and organization in which the SEC and Big XII set the recruitment rules.
Also Epstein didn't kill himself
Sure you didn't miss a conspiracy theory or two?

The NCAA has no teeth when it comes to investigation. They can't wiretap, can't put witnesses under oath, can't get ISPs to serve up emails text etc...they can't even get a pro to show up for a "friendly" chat like Derrick Rose.

I think they mostly are reactive to someone whistle blowing right? They don't go around digging on their own.

Because he didn't go to Kentucky.

As an alumnus Penny is a booster for the program in the NCAAs eyes.
I don't think that's how it works if you're the coach. Otherwise, he'd be prohibited from contacting recruits at all.

The NCAA has no teeth when it comes to investigation. They can't wiretap, can't put witnesses under oath, can't get ISPs to serve up emails text etc...they can't even get a pro to show up for a "friendly" chat like Derrick Rose.

I think they mostly are reactive to someone whistle blowing right? They don't go around digging on their own.
Exactly. They have no capability or authority to initiate an investigation on their own. Unless somebody turns in a school, they are powerless even in cases of blatant cheating. Something to think about, the UNC stuff would still be going on if Marvin Austin hadn't talked to the newspapers about it. They didn't get punished, but it at least ended the program.

I don't think that's how it works if you're the coach. Otherwise, he'd be prohibited from contacting recruits at all.
The stuff happened before he became the coach at Memphis. IIRC he was a HS coach and bought the house so Wiseman would be in his school's district and play for him. Since he was a HS coach, and not a coach at Memphis at the time, he would be still considered a booster as far as the recruiting rules are concerned.

The NCAA punishes private schools harsher than public schools. I know Memphis is public.
Their entire existence of the status quo is the schools accepting NCAA jurisdiction and not fighting them in federal/state court.
How Michigan State doesn’t get shut down for all the crap Larry Nassir did and Penn State got away with covering up Sandusky with Joe Paterno doing the bare minimum to avoid a criminal charge.
Such a joke the NCAA is and yet we lost 12 scholarships because Terrence Roberts and another basketball player got paid a couple of hundred to thousand dollars for a no show job at the YMCA, a tutor helped a ESL player write a paper and we didn’t call parents after their kids failed a self imposed drug test.

Screw the NCAA.

The stuff happened before he became the coach at Memphis. IIRC he was a HS coach and bought the house so Wiseman would be in his school's district and play for him. Since he was a HS coach, and not a coach at Memphis at the time, he would be still considered a booster as far as the recruiting rules are concerned.
When did he get recruited to play at Memphis? Before or after Penny got hired? If before, then I agree. If after, then I think he only violated Tennessee's high school rules with regards to recruiting (assuming they have rules for that in Tennessee).
If Smith wasn't recruiting him to Memphis and Penny wasn't steering him to Smith, then it's a high school issue because Penny was the high school coach and hadn't yet been hired by Memphis. Penny would probably argue that he moved the family without knowing at the time he would be hired to coach Memphis. The fact that he was a high school coach really muddies the water.
I agree that it smells to the heavens, though.

The NCAA punishes private schools harsher than public schools. I know Memphis is public.
Their entire existence of the status quo is the schools accepting NCAA jurisdiction and not fighting them in federal/state court.
How Michigan State doesn’t get shut down for all the crap Larry Nassir did and Penn State got away with covering up Sandusky with Joe Paterno doing the bare minimum to avoid a criminal charge.
Such a joke the NCAA is and yet we lost 12 scholarships because Terrence Roberts and another basketball player got paid a couple of hundred to thousand dollars for a no show job at the YMCA, a tutor helped a ESL player write a paper and we didn’t call parents after their kids failed a self imposed drug test.

Screw the NCAA.

Would they have found any violations if we didn't "self report"?

When did he get recruited to play at Memphis? Before or after Penny got hired? If before, then I agree. If after, then I think he only violated Tennessee's high school rules with regards to recruiting (assuming they have rules for that in Tennessee).
If Smith wasn't recruiting him to Memphis and Penny wasn't steering him to Smith, then it's a high school issue because Penny was the high school coach and hadn't yet been hired by Memphis. Penny would probably argue that he moved the family without knowing at the time he would be hired to coach Memphis. The fact that he was a high school coach really muddies the water.
Supposedly the Tenn HS athletic authorities are doing something over the recruitment to play for him in HS. IDK if he had an offer from Memphis before Hardaway became coach. I can only assume that a player that good playing in the local area would be a big recruiting target.

Would they have found any violations if we didn't "self report"?
Probably not, but you can never be 100% sure that someone else wouldn't turn you in. And if that happens, the punishment is definitely worse.

Funny Kansas just gets a commitment from a 5 star guard today. Business as usual...nothing to see here
And they knew that, which is why they went ahead with their midnight madness with Snoop, and they knew everything that was going to happen at the show too. It's ridiculous. All the blue bloods know they only get punished if they cooperate after they've been caught.
The NCAA loves Duke because they self report minuscule, inconsequential violations and they conduct quick, "independent" investigations for bigger violations that miraculously always clear them. This allows the NCAA to claim everything was properly vetted and on the up and up.
UNC and PSU sue or threaten to. ND is more discreet with their coercion from big money boosters and catholic mafia that makes things disappear.
The SEC is just too important to the NCAA to come after their big programs (but they gladly sacrifice a Mississippi school from time to time).
It's all of us other programs that have to watch out.

none of that matters. The only thing that matters is that he is and has been a booster since long before anyone knew wiseman. Penny played for Memphis and donated a large sum of money ($1m?). Melo is a booster of SU. If he paid for IJ’s parents to move to Syracuse, that’s a violation.

This whole thing is BS. No matter what anyone thinks about the rules, the rule in place right now makes it a major violation. Memphis should be hammered and Wiseman officially be declared ineligible.

none of that matters. The only thing that matters is that he is and has been a booster since long before anyone knew wiseman. Penny played for Memphis and donated a large sum of money ($1m?). Melo is a booster of SU. If he paid for IJ’s parents to move to Syracuse, that’s a violation.

This whole thing is BS. No matter what anyone thinks about the rules, the rule in place right now makes it a major violation. Memphis should be hammered and Wiseman officially be declared ineligible.
I think it might matter. I understand the NCAA definition of a booster. Your example of Carmelo/IJ would be a very different case, as it differs in some important details, such as, Carmelo wasn't a high school coach in the Syracuse area having recruited iJ to play for him at the high school level and Carmelo isn't now the head coach at SU.
I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. I think he is crooked too, but thinking something and proving it are different things. I don't think this case is as clear as you make it. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he only cheated to get him to his high school team, they really clicked together and then when Penny got hired at Memphis, he wanted to continue to play for him. He was likely headed to UK before Penny got the Memphis job - a fact doesn't support the illegal booster activity theory.
Also, under your Penny as a booster no matter any other circumstances view, Penny wouldn't be able to recruit any players to Memphis with whom he had prior contact in his role as a highschool coach or for any other reason, like a camp or instructional session. Given he was a highly successful player, he probably encountered thousands of kids in that way. I'm not sure the NCAA doesn't make allowances for these situations.

I think it might matter. I understand the NCAA definition of a booster. Your example of Carmelo/IJ would be a very different case, as it differs in some important details, such as, Carmelo wasn't a high school coach in the Syracuse area having recruited iJ to play for him at the high school level and Carmelo isn't now the head coach at SU.
I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. I think he is crooked too, but thinking something and proving it are different things. I don't think this case is as clear as you make it. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he only cheated to get him to his high school team, they really clicked together and then when Penny got hired at Memphis, he wanted to continue to play for him. He was likely headed to UK before Penny got the Memphis job - a fact doesn't support the illegal booster activity theory.
Also, under your Penny as a booster no matter any other circumstances view, Penny wouldn't be able to recruit any players to Memphis with whom he had prior contact in his role as a highschool coach or for any other reason, like a camp or instructional session. Given he was a highly successful player, he probably encountered thousands of kids in that way. I'm not sure the NCAA doesn't make allowances for these situations.

a booster is a booster is a booster. You’re trying to confuse the situation.

Penny was a booster at the time because he’s an alum who gave a huge gift to the school like 10 years ago. It’s been mentioned in other articles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom