NCAA rules Memphis F/C James Wiseman ineligible | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA rules Memphis F/C James Wiseman ineligible

The NCAA has improperly benefited its way into destroying my 30 plus year love of college hoops. When all the California Unis start paying kids the NCAA will die. We are witnessing the death throes of college athletes as amateurs

Last edited:
Memphis is going to war with the NCAA.
I wish Memphis well but they aren’t a blue blood.

This won’t end well for Penny.

Ok, but seriously, how does this restraining order magically make it so he can play?

Who is the restraining order against?

And restraining against what?
The way these usually run is that it is a restraining order against the NCAA from preventing the player from participating by enforcing sanctions against the school. The school/player usually wins at the lower court level because the trial judge is sympathetic to the school/player over the NCAA and, if the trial judge rules against the school/player, they go to different trial judges until they get the restraining order (AKA judge shopping). The school/player usually loses at the appeals court level and the school is whacked for using an ineligible player, as threatened in the Tweet Alsacs posted.
This is why Congress needs to specify which Federal court will hear lawsuits against which sports governing body. If the district of Federal courts in Illinois that includes Chicago (just to pick a place) was designated as the only court that could hear cases against the NCAA, there would be far fewer of these baloney orders issued. And, yes, the Constitution gives Congress the authority to specify where these cases can be heard.

The way these usually run is that it is a restraining order against the NCAA from preventing the player from participating by enforcing sanctions against the school. The school/player usually wins at the lower court level because the trial judge is sympathetic to the school/player over the NCAA and, if the trial judge rules against the school/player, they go to different trial judges until they get the restraining order (AKA judge shopping). The school/player usually loses at the appeals court level and the school is whacked for using an ineligible player, as threatened in the Tweet Alsacs posted.
This is why Congress needs to specify which Federal court will hear lawsuits against which sports governing body. If the district of Federal courts in Illinois that includes Chicago (just to pick a place) was designated as the only court that could hear cases against the NCAA, there would be far fewer of these baloney orders issued. And, yes, the Constitution gives Congress the authority to specify where these cases can be heard.
Awesome. Great explanation.

The fact this can be done still makes no sense to me.

Also, Southerland should have gotten a restraining order.

Awesome. Great explanation.

The fact this can be done still makes no sense to me.

Also, Southerland should have gotten a restraining order.
I just found out on our board that it was a Shelby County (Memphis is the county seat) and not a Federal judge that issued the order. That will really make the NCAA come down on them like a ton of bricks once Memphis/Weitsman loses the appeal.

I just found out on our board that it was a Shelby County (Memphis is the county seat) and not a Federal judge that issued the order. That will really make the NCAA come down on them like a ton of bricks once Memphis/Weitsman loses the appeal.

Weitsmans our guy. Wiseman is the guy who is ineligible and ultimately going to cost Memphis whatever games he plays in.

I really don't understand why the colleges can't be an official minor league for the pros. No one is cheering for these kids because they also take classes at these schools.
I disagree.

Not like it's any different then stuff Duke has done tho. NCAA hits who they want. Nothing to see with Zion last year.

Agree 100%. The NCAA's enforcement of the rules is arbitrary, capricious, and not tied to precedent in terms of penalties. They also seem to situationally decide who to go after, and who to look the other way for the same infractions.

Last edited:
Because he didn't go to Kentucky.

As an alumnus Penny is a booster for the program in the NCAAs eyes.

Because he didn't go to Kentucky.

As an alumnus Penny is a booster for the program in the NCAAs eyes.

and was pretty clearly already in cahoots with memphis at the time

"At the same time, Hardaway was winning championship after championship at East High after importing the No. 1 player in the country, James Wiseman, from nearby Nashville. Memphis fans were clamoring for the Tigers to hire Hardaway and Hardaway wanted the job. After just two seasons, Memphis leadership had no choice but to eat $10 million in salary to fire Smith.

There was the only one candidate for the job.

“Memphis did not fire Tubby Smith to conduct a coaching search,” Parrish said. “They fired Tubby Smith to hire Penny Hardaway.”

Hardaway’s credentials went beyond his reputation as a beloved former player and winner at the high school level. His biggest allure might have been his connections within the national recruiting scene."

I really don't understand why the colleges can't be an official minor league for the pros. No one is cheering for these kids because they also take classes at these schools.

pro sports arent allowed to tamper either. there are rules at any level that would prevent and/or punish what penny did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom