NCAA rules Memphis F/C James Wiseman ineligible | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA rules Memphis F/C James Wiseman ineligible

I mean, are we forgetting that this was a pretty clear cut recruiting violation.

this kid was all in on Kentucky. Suddenly Penny pays for his family to move and he picks Memphis?

that’s a pretty cut and dry violation and not a ticky tack call like most other infractions the NCAA calls out.

I mean, are we forgetting that this was a pretty clear cut recruiting violation.

this kid was all in on Kentucky. Suddenly Penny pays for his family to move and he picks Memphis?

that’s a pretty cut and dry violation and not a ticky tack call like most other infractions the NCAA calls out.

Sorry but I don’t feel sorry for Kentucky or any of these blue blood programs that have cheated

if Cal or K did this the NCAA wouldn’t care. That’s kind of the point.

Is that the case or are they just smarter about covering what they do and not allowing their transgressions to be exposed? Rumors don’t cut it.

Our penalties arose out of us self reporting violations. How many times has the NCAA been successful in uncovering and punishing something that didn’t land on their doorstep in a neat package with a bow tied to it?

I firmly believe that Kansas, AZ, Louisville et al will eventually be penalized under the current system because their transgressions were clearly exposed through other inquiries or admissions. It make take a few years to get to the end, but the only thing that will save them is if the NCAA blows itself up first.

Last edited:
Yup. College basketball and football is like the Wild West.

In regards to the Wild West..."You ain't seen nothing yet." Just watch how 'Wild' it becomes once these "student athletes" get compensated for NIL.

Is that the case or are they just smarter about covering what they do and not allowing their transgressions to be exposed? Rumors don’t cut it.

Our penalties arose out of us self reporting violations. How many times has the NCAA been successful in uncovering and punishing something that didn’t land on their doorstep in a neat package with a bow tied to it?

I firmly believe that Kansas, AZ, Louisville et al will eventually be penalized under the current system because their transgressions were clearly exposed through other inquiries or admissions. It make take a few years to get to the end, but the only thing that will save them is if the NCAA blows itself up first.

I don’t. I think it’s more likely they change the rules so they don’t have to punish them.

The way these usually run is that it is a restraining order against the NCAA from preventing the player from participating by enforcing sanctions against the school. The school/player usually wins at the lower court level because the trial judge is sympathetic to the school/player over the NCAA and, if the trial judge rules against the school/player, they go to different trial judges until they get the restraining order (AKA judge shopping). The school/player usually loses at the appeals court level and the school is whacked for using an ineligible player, as threatened in the Tweet Alsacs posted.
This is why Congress needs to specify which Federal court will hear lawsuits against which sports governing body. If the district of Federal courts in Illinois that includes Chicago (just to pick a place) was designated as the only court that could hear cases against the NCAA, there would be far fewer of these baloney orders issued. And, yes, the Constitution gives Congress the authority to specify where these cases can be heard.

Pretty sure this is incorrect

Just let these kids go pro after high school, NBA people. This is what happens when you force a top 2-3 pick(if he were in this prior draft) to go to college.
the nba offered $100k g-league deals beginning this year to kids like wiseman, but there were no takers

Seriously I hope this is what breaks the NCAA.
gotta disagree with you here. penny has done the impossible - put me on the side of the ncaa (in this case at least)
PessimisticCompleteCuckoo-max-1mb.gif

Also Epstein didn't kill himself
but i'm with you on this one

Let him go out of high school to the NBA.
it can't happen without the players association concurrence. the g-league offer is a stop gap move until the next cba

if Cal or K did this the NCAA wouldn’t care. That’s kind of the point.

I honestly do not believe this, and I'm very skeptical of the NCAA in general.

At the end of the day, schools like Kentucky and Duke cover their tracks and make it difficult for the NCAA (which is a poorly-run organization) to follow the money and find violations.

Penny almost literally handed Wiseman's family an envelop of cash himself. It's maybe the most obvious violation of all-time. If Coach K held a press conference and announced that he was giving Terrence Clark money tomorrow, I'm confident that the NCAA would have a problem with it.

the nba offered $100k g-league deals beginning this year to kids like wiseman, but there were no takers

I think the number of kids that would do it if they could actually play in the NBA and make millions of dollars in the process is probably a little different than playing in East Bum, Iowa for $100,000. I imagine this will probably be lifted in the next CBA though.

it can't happen without the players association concurrence. the g-league offer is a stop gap move until the next cba

Yep totally know that, just venting, it should have been done before, hopefully will be soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom