Good
  • #1 in turnovers per game
  • #4 goalie in save percentage
  • #7 in shot %
  • #8 in man-up O and goals per game

Ouch
  • #61 in faceoffs
  • #63 in ground balls
The ouches are really, really hurting a lot more good things I didn’t realize were that good (thank you Holy Cross and Bonnies for boosting, of course.)

Good
  • #1 in turnovers per game
  • #4 goalie in save percentage
  • #7 in shot %
  • #8 in man-up O and goals per game

Ouch
  • #61 in faceoffs
  • #63 in ground balls
The ouches are really, really hurting a lot more good things I didn’t realize were that good (thank you Holy Cross and Bonnies for boosting, of course.)
We’re just lacking those dogs in the middle.

Overall stats will look a bit different after the next 5 games. This last stretch is brutal - Princeton and UNC seem to be getting stronger and UVA, Duke and ND are the class of the league.

Gotta focus on the positives for building into next year. Offense is good, defense has improved and goalie is very solid. Mark and the offense will have to play out of their minds for us to have a chance to win one of the remaining games.

I am not a analytics guru, but I think advanced statistics, compiled by Lacrosse Reference are more helpful than the standard categories like Goals Per Game or Turnovers Per Game.

You can see all the rankings here: Syracuse MLAX: Stats, Ratings & Rankings – Lacrosse Reference

SU's offense is clearly very good this season, ranked 6th in efficency, 7th in shooting percetange, 3rd in Turnover Rate. What is perhaps most surprising is the defense has been pretty good this season, ranked 10th in efficiency (most due to Will Mark's heroics this season). Last year I beleive they were ranked 65th. That's a pretty darn good turnaround for Petro and his crew.

You'd think how could a team ranked in the top 10 in both Offensive and Defensive efficiency be unranked? Well as you might have guessed the face-off unit is really hurting the team this year. They rank 72nd in the country this year according to the website. That certainly ranks among the worst in DI if not the worst. Extremely frustrating to think how good this team could be if only they were winning more possessions.

You can see in the below matrix that SU ranks among the best teams in the country when it comes to offensive and defensive efficiency (it was compiled before last week's games).

The thing is we all said before the season if the face unit doesnt come close to 45 - 50% it won't matter how good the team is. Sure enough it's what has happened so far this season. As I have said last week I'm sure the Fogos are working hard but how much more can they improve? What can improve is wing play but they need to try some new guys out. It's a shame Bolea got hurt even tho he was playing D 3 the kid had a high motor and some good speed. He might have been a dog at the wing. Gotta be someone who has a knack for Gbs on the team. Heck wouldn't mind throwing Cohen out there. U know he's hungry and with his speed and athletic ability maybe he could be a difference maker. Not ideal he would have to get right off but who cares if he can get extra possessions then so be it. Heck if he gets the GB let him stay on he earned it and he needs more PT anyway. He's gonna draw short sticks so he could really be a threat. I don't care that he played weaker comp u can tell he has elite speed and athletic ability so it will translate to whoever he's playing against.

Crazy.

At its core this team is so much better than last year. And with alll the problems with face offs only 9 more defensive possessions than offense.

Team needs how to win now.
Face offs are a problem, but clearly do not deserve all the blame. Stats show that the D has shown up pretty well in a lot of our games, but completely blew it against UNC. Offense has shown up in nearly all our games, but completely blew it against Hop. Both of those games were around 50% on face offs. Face off x could take some of the blame for MD and Duke games, but essentially the problem is not getting a complete performance from both offense and defense in these games against top opponents. Looking at the stats gives a ray of hope we can steal one against a top team if we put it all together. This team at its best is clearly a good one.

Face offs are a problem, but clearly do not deserve all the blame. Stats show that the D has shown up pretty well in a lot of our games, but completely blew it against UNC. Offense has shown up in nearly all our games, but completely blew it against Hop. Both of those games were around 50% on face offs. Face off x could take some of the blame for MD and Duke games, but essentially the problem is not getting a complete performance from both offense and defense in these games against top opponents. Looking at the stats gives a ray of hope we can steal one against a top team if we put it all together. This team at its best is clearly a good one.
This.

They are better than last year but their margin for error is still too slim. Against UNC We win FO’s at a decent clip and score, but Defense and Mark was off big time.

Against Hop, we hang tough at FO and then offense is getting stuff by Marcille.

Duke is the game we will look back on with a big time sour taste. They were up 4 or 5 at times and then Naso went on a roll at the X and got them back in the game 2nd half.

There’s just no room for error. If one unit plays poorly it’s a loss.

Those are my thoughts as well. One of the hallmarks of a mediocre or in this case young/inexperienced team as that rarely are all sides on at once. UNC and Hop games are perfect examples as you noted. Faceoffs are even or better but in one the Defense can't stop a cold and in the other the offense was a complete mess in the 2nd half and couldn't stop turning it over or making bad decisions. In the Maryland and Duke games the O and D play fairly well but faceoffs are a disaster.

Feels like one of those years where you can't get the team on the same page. It's no coincidence that in the 2 games all three were really on against halfway decent opponents in in Albany and Hobart SU won in blowouts because the talent is there. Last 5 game are going to tell a lot.

Those are my thoughts as well. One of the hallmarks of a mediocre or in this case young/inexperienced team as that rarely are all sides on at once. UNC and Hop games are perfect examples as you noted. Faceoffs are even or better but in one the Defense can't stop a cold and in the other the offense was a complete mess in the 2nd half and couldn't stop turning it over or making bad decisions. In the Maryland and Duke games the O and D play fairly well but faceoffs are a disaster.

Feels like one of those years where you can't get the team on the same page. It's no coincidence that in the 2 games all three were really on against halfway decent opponents in in Albany and Hobart SU won in blowouts because the talent is there. Last 5 game are going to tell a lot.
The core of the team is young with the exception of Mark who will be back next year. Duke, UVA and ND have no weaknesses and UNC seems to be getting better each week. It is unrealistic to expect Cuse to be a tournament team when offense and goalie are ACC level but fogo and defense are not. I think the D is showing real improvement over last year and the young talent is there. Next year is when the expectations should be higher.

The core of the team is young with the exception of Mark who will be back next year. Duke, UVA and ND have no weaknesses and UNC seems to be getting better each week. It is unrealistic to expect Cuse to be a tournament team when offense and goalie are ACC level but fogo and defense are not. I think the D is showing real improvement over last year and the young talent is there. Next year is when the expectations should be higher.

Always negative idk I like to think positive. The defense is good enough if they can just get GBs and keep the possessions close. Marcele don't have a career game they beat Hopkins and who knows if the ref don't award Duke that possession they clearly shouldn't have had then maybe they win that game too. No reason to not think they can't win any of these games. They can def beat Princeton and UNC. They should be a better team now then then early in the season. U don't get ur hopes up but u can feel they have a shot to win a few of these games. Idk I think more positive just how I am.

I am not sure its unrealistic to expect Syracuse to challenge to be a tournament team year in and year out especially coming off last years debacle. The close performances actually show the overall talent is there as unlike last year when they nearly lost to Hobart and lost to a really bad Albany team they blasted both this year and could have easily beaten both Duke and Hop. I think most people have the ceiling of this team as a tournament birth but I think it's actually higher than that, however, major issues at the X, inexperience and sloppy play have held them back. You would also have to acknowledge that this staff hasn't exactly shined in late game situations in close games, even dating back to last year with the Cornell and UNC endings. This team desperately needs a win against top 20 team where they actually close it out. Would go along way for the players and staff.

Realistic or not if they beat Princeton and win one of the power four they’re in, if they beat Princeton and win two of the power four they are a lock. Some big ifs for sure but they are capable

I am not sure its unrealistic to expect Syracuse to challenge to be a tournament team year in and year out especially coming off last years debacle. The close performances actually show the overall talent is there as unlike last year when they nearly lost to Hobart and lost to a really bad Albany team they blasted both this year and could have easily beaten both Duke and Hop. I think most people have the ceiling of this team as a tournament birth but I think it's actually higher than that, however, major issues at the X, inexperience and sloppy play have held them back. You would also have to acknowledge that this staff hasn't exactly shined in late game situations in close games, even dating back to last year with the Cornell and UNC endings. This team desperately needs a win against top 20 team where they actually close it out. Would go along way for the players and staff.

I am finding it really hard to asses this team in terms of how much progress they've made since last year. Yes, they have two more wins already than they did last season. But if the 2023 team fails to win another game this year (I really hope not, but it is a possibility), they'll have basically only improved by beating Albany (at home), switching out a loss against Army for a win over Vermont, and throwing in an extra win over St Bonaventure (which last years team would have won easily as well). Plus last year's team did actually beat Duke.

Dig a little deeper and last year's team lost by four to a much better Maryland team (this year it was three but the score was a lot closer than the actual game). Last years Duke team was not as good as this years so give this years team some credit for that. Last year's team came close to beating Hopkins (on the road) and lost by the same margin. Yes, bigger wins over Hobart and Albany, but it's all in all a little underwhelming. SU still isn't in the Top 20 and their RPI is in the 30s, far away from tournament contention and the same spot it was in last year.

Watching this team with my own eyes its clear they have improved. This team is much more fun to watch than last years. The offense has gone from a two man show to a full blown modern offense, with everyone sharing the ball. The freshmen have exceeded expectations. The defense clearly has some issues but it's also clear they've made improvements and Will Mark has been outstanding. But right now the results are not matching up which is disappointing. Part of me wants to give the staff a mulligan for last year, mostly because this team is almost completely brand new from this year to last. So maybe judging this year to last isn't entirely fair. I really want this team to do well. I guess I can't help feeling frustrated that they have some really good pieces, but they still seem so far away from a Final Four.

I do think no matter what, expectations for next season should be the playoffs and I would even say a first round win. I know it's silly to prognosticate about next year when this year isn't over, but there really can't be any more excuses. Players like Mark don't come around often, it's really time to capitalize. Figure out the face-offs and groundballs and lets win some games.

My comments clearly got some of you riled up. I'm not negative in my view of the team. In fact, I'm much more positive now than I was at the beginning of the season and I think the program can be a competitive top 10 team next year. My point is simple - to go from the outhouse to the penthouse in one season would be a great story but doesn't often happen. To do it in the toughest conference in lacrosse would be miraculous. All we have to do is remember the 2020 and 2021 teams. Those teams were good but when matched up with other ACC teams that loaded up on covid transfers, defensive weaknesses (coaching and talent) were exposed and we appeared to be outcoached.

The biggest positives for the team are the big time talent infusion of the freshmen, Mark, Kirst etc. As good as all that is, it simply raises our offensive talent level to be similar to and not better than Duke, ND and UNC (but still not as good as UVA). On D, we cannot match the current talent/experience of the ACC but that may change as some of the other ACC teams lose their seniors etc. Mark appears to be the real deal - this last stretch will be his biggest test. That means we have a goalie that can match up with Entenmann and Krieg and probably better than Nunes and Helm for sure. As for fogo, let's not go there!

The last area of the team which on paper does not match up with the ACC is coaching. Let me think - Tiffany is a proven elite coach, Joe Breschi an experienced winner, Danowski getting old but still effective and Corrigan is one of the best. Gait has yet to show what he can do as a men's coach regardless of his incredible player career.

If we continue to improve on D, get a good fogo and Gait ups his game as a coach, then we may well have something special.

My comments clearly got some of you riled up. I'm not negative in my view of the team. In fact, I'm much more positive now than I was at the beginning of the season and I think the program can be a competitive top 10 team next year. My point is simple - to go from the outhouse to the penthouse in one season would be a great story but doesn't often happen. To do it in the toughest conference in lacrosse would be miraculous. All we have to do is remember the 2020 and 2021 teams. Those teams were good but when matched up with other ACC teams that loaded up on covid transfers, defensive weaknesses (coaching and talent) were exposed and we appeared to be outcoached.

The biggest positives for the team are the big time talent infusion of the freshmen, Mark, Kirst etc. As good as all that is, it simply raises our offensive talent level to be similar to and not better than Duke, ND and UNC (but still not as good as UVA). On D, we cannot match the current talent/experience of the ACC but that may change as some of the other ACC teams lose their seniors etc. Mark appears to be the real deal - this last stretch will be his biggest test. That means we have a goalie that can match up with Entenmann and Krieg and probably better than Nunes and Helm for sure. As for fogo, let's not go there!

The last area of the team which on paper does not match up with the ACC is coaching. Let me think - Tiffany is a proven elite coach, Joe Breschi an experienced winner, Danowski getting old but still effective and Corrigan is one of the best. Gait has yet to show what he can do as a men's coach regardless of his incredible player career.

If we continue to improve on D, get a good fogo and Gait ups his game as a coach, then we may well have something special.

I don't think your view is negative at all and while I can only speak for myself your prior post definitely did not get me riled up. My only point was that the expectation for every SU lax team every year is going to be that they make the NCAA tourney. Clearly this team has some fatal flaws that would make them highly unlikely to make any sort of deep run but I don't think just making the tourney is outlandish when you look at SU's history and what we have seen from the team at least to date.

I do agree that the ACC is clearly the toughest conference and SU has had some struggles the last few years (just check out the last 4 ND scores, yikes). However, I think your downplaying a bit where SU is coming from, remember that in 2020 the team was 5-0 and ranked #1 when Covid hit. In 2021 SU not only beat UVA (the eventual national champion) they beat them twice. Clearly last years team had major major issues and I think your points about Gait are spot on but I am also not prepared to give them a pass just because the team already has won 2 more games then all of last year. I need to see some wins over the next 5 games, the talent there despite the fatal flaw at the X.

I don't think your view is negative at all and while I can only speak for myself your prior post definitely did not get me riled up. My only point was that the expectation for every SU lax team every year is going to be that they make the NCAA tourney. Clearly this team has some fatal flaws that would make them highly unlikely to make any sort of deep run but I don't think just making the tourney is outlandish when you look at SU's history and what we have seen from the team at least to date.

I do agree that the ACC is clearly the toughest conference and SU has had some struggles the last few years (just check out the last 4 ND scores, yikes). However, I think your downplaying a bit where SU is coming from, remember that in 2020 the team was 5-0 and ranked #1 when Covid hit. In 2021 SU not only beat UVA (the eventual national champion) they beat them twice. Clearly last years team had major major issues and I think your points about Gait are spot on but I am also not prepared to give them a pass just because the team already has won 2 more games then all of last year. I need to see some wins over the next 5 games, the talent there despite the fatal flaw at the X.
You make some very good points as usual. I disagree with your last comment about needing to see some wins. I would put it another way - I want to see some very competitive games in the next 5 which demonstrate we can keep up athletically with the best teams in the country for a full 60 minutes and not lose our poise and discipline. I would also like to see some intelligent in-game coaching decisions including use of timeouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom