NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill becomes law | Syracusefan.com

NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill becomes law

I hate this bill. I personally want the players paid, but in a way that is controlled. In this setup, the kids at the biggest schools will get bigger promo deals, making them even bigger, and its going to spiral out of control, further marginalizing the already marginalized.

I hate this bill. I personally want the players paid, but in a way that is controlled. In this setup, the kids at the biggest schools will get bigger promo deals, making them even bigger, and its going to spiral out of control, further marginalizing the already marginalized.

The kids at the biggest schools already get the most.

The NCAA vs California?

Wow. That will end well.

1568223715284.png

We may see a new association called CCAA for the California Collegiate Athletic Association.

The NCAA's arguments against signing the bill are ridiculous. Really hope Newsom signs it or the legislature overrides his veto. Also note that the bill doesn't go into effect until 1/1/23. That would give the NCAA a nice cushion to come up with rules that allow athletes to make money off of their celebrity.

NCAA warns California bill that would allow college athletes to be paid is 'unconstitional'

The National Collegiate Athletic Assn. warned Gov. Gavin Newsom in a letter Wednesday that state legislation allowing college athletes to be paid for the use of their name, image and likeness would be “unconstitutional” and “harmful.”

“If the bill becomes law and California’s 58 NCAA schools are compelled to allow an unrestricted name, image and likeness scheme, it would erase the critical distinction between college and professional athletics and, because it gives those schools an unfair recruiting advantage, would result in them eventually being unable to compete in NCAA competitions,” the letter said.

We may see a new association called CCAA for the California Collegiate Athletic Association.
This really isnt too far off. As far as NJCAA wrestling is concerned California already does their own state and national tourney. They only school to go to the normal NJCAA national tourney used to be Lassen. Last I knew they were strong armed into only wreslting in California again and dont compete nationally anymore.

The NCAA's arguments against signing the bill are ridiculous. Really hope Newsom signs it or the legislature overrides his veto. Also note that the bill doesn't go into effect until 1/1/23. That would give the NCAA a nice cushion to come up with rules that allow athletes to make money off of their celebrity.

NCAA warns California bill that would allow college athletes to be paid is 'unconstitional'

The National Collegiate Athletic Assn. warned Gov. Gavin Newsom in a letter Wednesday that state legislation allowing college athletes to be paid for the use of their name, image and likeness would be “unconstitutional” and “harmful.”

“If the bill becomes law and California’s 58 NCAA schools are compelled to allow an unrestricted name, image and likeness scheme, it would erase the critical distinction between college and professional athletics and, because it gives those schools an unfair recruiting advantage, would result in them eventually being unable to compete in NCAA competitions,” the letter said.

The real problem for California would be the schools in the remaining 49 states. 49 states v. California. Unless California can convince a few other key states to do likewise, they will have less bargaining power. Non-California teams can refuse to play California schools based on the perceived or real advantage. The four key California schools (let's be honest, the other 54 really do not matter) do well enough without the law. Besides, the remaining PAC12 schools may not like the California schools having an advantage.

Not sure what will happen, but it will be amusing to watch.

Here’s why the NCAA is really against it and I’m okay with them being against it for now...

California isn’t doing it to help the kids. This is a move to try to being recruits to the California schools that have been missing out on big time recruits. It’s just a giant ploy to help those schools make more money because they are missing out on Nattys recently and want a leg up on the recruits.

Until it’s ALL colleges, I’m against it and I believe that’s a large part of why the NCAA is against it