Class of 2018 - ND QB Phil Jurkovec Enters Transfer Portal | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 ND QB Phil Jurkovec Enters Transfer Portal

Only played 2 games in 2018 and 6 in 2019.

He's almost factory fresh.

Doesn't line up right for us. Would have to sit this year and then have 2 years left, only 1 of which with a clear shot at a starting job. If he was a RS FR this year it would work.

Doesn't line up right for us. Would have to sit this year and then have 2 years left, only 1 of which with a clear shot at a starting job. If he was a RS FR this year it would work.

he has three years of eligibility left according to the ESPN article. not sure if that is correct

he has three years of eligibility left according to the ESPN article. not sure if that is correct

It is. But he will have to sit this year so there goes 1, sit behind SR year Tommy so that's 2, left with 1.

It is. But he will have to sit this year so there goes 1, sit behind SR year Tommy so that's 2, left with 1.

He's not going somewhere where he can't compete to start. So I think he would need to be promised a legit chance to win the job to even consider us. Which he's unlikely to do in any event...

He's not going somewhere where he can't compete to start. So I think he would need to be promised a legit chance to win the job to even consider us. Which he's unlikely to do in any event...

Agree, he makes a lot of sense talent and location wise for us. The fit just doesn't work eligibility wise in this case. Can't see any kid being willing to come in with that timeline. Even if promised a chance, if they didn't get a waiver to compete against Tommy this year then their 1st chance would be as a RS JR taking on a guy that will have 4 seasons in the system and 2 full years worth of starts under his belt.

Anywhere he goes will have competition. if he's really good, he has a chance to beat out Devito. Worst case scenario, he can get some seasoning that year filling in for TD and start the next year. Who knows? Maybe TD leaves and grad transfers next year, especially if this guy looks really good.

82C5E7AE-3FB6-4E02-8643-DF0741317ADE.gif

Anywhere he goes will have competition. if he's really good, he has a chance to beat out Devito. Worst case scenario, he can get some seasoning that year filling in for TD and start the next year. Who knows? Maybe TD leaves and grad transfers next year, especially if this guy looks really good.

That's the very thing that makes it unlikely

I say whichever QB gives you the best chance to win. But I don't see that happening with HCDB

Context is important. Are you suggesting that in a fair competition, Tommy would not have been the QB last year?

Guys don’t transfer to places where they have a 50/50 shot of winning the job. HCDBs comments are irrelevant. TD *played* his way into starter for the upcoming season. That’s the relevant info.

(Also, there’s not a coach alive who rides with a guy who can’t win when he has a better guy on the sideline.)

I say whichever QB gives you the best chance to win. But I don't see that happening with HCDB
Are you trying to say the kid that hasn't played a snap in college is going to come to SU and immediately give us a better chance to win?

Babers has shown over his time at SU that he'll put in whoever he needs to to win football games. We started multiple true freshmen over upperclassmen. I don't understand this perspective?

Are you trying to say the kid that hasn't played a snap in college is going to come to SU and immediately give us a better chance to win?

Babers has shown over his time at SU that he'll put in whoever he needs to to win football games. We started multiple true freshmen over upperclassmen. I don't understand this perspective?
He does it pretty rarely. I know Cisco is a good example of it, but he appears very hesitant to do so. Look how long until he made changes on the OL this year.

He does it pretty rarely. I know Cisco is a good example of it, but he appears very hesitant to do so. Look how long until he made changes on the OL this year.
Taj, Cisco, Trill, Iffy, Mikel Jones, etc.

The OL is the one position where I'd prefer we're not throwing true freshmen/first year players in there, Bergeron was an extraordinary case.

he also benched Devin Butler, Nykiem has seen his snaps reduced. Howard started getting more carries. Harper started being in the regular rotation. Scoop Bradshaw barely played this year. Benson. I think you're off a little.

The two positions I'd agree are OL - which bnoro points out why - and I'll add, OL needs continuity. And even though I named WRs, that position is maybe slow to change. But I partly believe that's because you can easily weed out who's who in practice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom