ND & the ACC... | Syracusefan.com

ND & the ACC...

Louie&Bouie

Scout Team
Listening to XM College Sports radio this morning (Mark Packer and Eddie George's show), and Packer (who like his father, Billy, is a huge ACC shill) says that if he were running the ACC, he would call up ND today and offer them membership WITH the ability for ND to keep their NBC deal.

Thoughts?

Sets a bad president and is a recipe for insability eg. Texas in the Big12

Listening to XM College Sports radio this morning (Mark Packer and Eddie George's show), and Packer (who like his father, Billy, is a huge ACC shill) says that if he were running the ACC, he would call up ND today and offer them membership WITH the ability for ND to keep their NBC deal.

Thoughts?

That would send FSU to SEC.

Thoughts?
I would be willing to take ND & let them keep the current deal with the proviso that they do not re-new that deal & from that point on they are a real 100% conference member for better or worse.

I'm with Bo. Any conference should be All in or all out.

I'm with Bo. Any conference should be All in or all out.

Agreed. They already f**ked the BE with the Independent BS. They are either fully in or fully out. No in between. It won't work and creates the guise of instability. The BE should have jettisoned ND a long time ago for the same reason.

Agreed. They already f**ked the BE with the Independent BS. They are either fully in or fully out. No in between. It won't work and creates the guise of instability. The BE should have jettisoned ND a long time ago for the same reason.

True much like Texas in the Big 12 as well. This is why the SEC and B1G are so strong. All for one and one for all the eagles fight until the job is done!

For what it is worth, FSU is not going anywhere. Jimbo Fisher is against a move to the SEC. FSU president has said the faculty would be up in arms if they move to the SEC. Once the ACC added Pitt and Cuse, FSU was happy knowing the revised TV contract would be strong. Can the SEC do better? GT is NOT better than Mizzou for SEC. They already have UGA. GT brings nothing new. Same with Clemson. The ACC schools that bring new market(s) and have strong financial positions are VT, UVA, and UNC. UNC is not going to the SEC. UVA would consider it a massive academic downgrade and they would never compete successfully in the SEC. So they are a no go. That leaves VT from the ACC. Who knows. The SEC can get OU to consider. BUt that would mean taking OSU. That is a steep price to pay. OU brings a great brand, but the SEC already commands a premium for their tremendous brand. Having to take OSU as well? Sounds less than stellar. Texas will not go to SEC. They have choices and actually value their academic standard.

I would call up ND and tell them they have until the end of the year to accept full membership no strings attached or the offer will be withdrawn forever

For what it is worth, FSU is not going anywhere.

The SEC can get OU to consider. BUt that would mean taking OSU. That is a steep price to pay. OU brings a great brand, but the SEC already commands a premium for their tremendous brand. Having to take OSU as well? Sounds less than stellar. Texas will not go to SEC. They have choices and actually value their academic standard.

I hope FSU is safe. That would be a huuuge loss. I don't get why Okie St would be a big deal for the SEC. OU is clearly the third best program left out there. Taking OU, Okie St, and Mizzou to get to 16 would be...

-adding one very good and two decent FB prorgams
-adding three good BBall programs
-adding Oklahoma City, St Louis, KC, and Dallas to the SEC.

How is that all a bad thing? I think it is more OU not wanting to go than the SEC not wanting Okie St.

ND's NBC deal easily could be rolled into the ACC. NBC could keep showing all 7 ND Home games. Then it stars showing another 7 ACC games, so that each Saturday NBC shows the ACC. The other 15 members then also get money from NBC. That extra national TV exposure would help all current ACC members. ESPN shares leagues with other networks, so I think it would share the ACC with NBC if that gets ND into the ACC.

FSU president has said the faculty would be up in arms if they move to the SEC.
I'm scratching my head.

Why on earth would faculty care?

I hope FSU is safe. That would be a huuuge loss. I don't get why Okie St would be a big deal for the SEC. OU is clearly the third best program left out there. Taking OU, Okie St, and Mizzou to get to 16 would be...

-adding one very good and two decent FB prorgams
-adding three good BBall programs
-adding Oklahoma City, St Louis, KC, and Dallas to the SEC.

How is that all a bad thing? I think it is more OU not wanting to go than the SEC not wanting Okie St.
It's not, and I think that will eventually be the SEC move. After all, not only would having OU crush Texas, but Ok St has a newly renovated 60,000 seat stadium and T. Boone Pickens' money, as well as great baseball history and good basketball history.

I'm scratching my head.

Why on earth would faculty care?
because they don't want to be instantly associated with a bunch of renegade academic schools (and vanderbilt)... from the faculty's perspective, it makes sense.

because they don't want to be instantly associated with a bunch of renegade academic schools (and vanderbilt)... from the faculty's perspective, it makes sense.
eh.

I just don't envision a whole lot of associating actually happening.

The 3 "football" schools and NCState in the ACC worry me a little regarding the SEC and until this things shakes out I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable. I think Maryland and Virginia are always a possible B1G candidate as well.

If ND wants into the ACC and enterst the ACC and FSU leaves-- BFD. who cares? With ND, it would be a gravy deal

The 3 "football" schools and NCState in the ACC worry me a little regarding the SEC and until this things shakes out I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable. I think Maryland and Virginia are always a possible B1G candidate as well.

Virginia in the Big10 is never never never going to happen... Like saying Iowa is a good fit for the ACC

Virginia in the Big10 is never never never going to happen... Like saying Iowa is a good fit for the ACC

Usually I agree with you but on this I really don't. Virginia did not want VT in the ACC and I'm pretty sure they still aren't too thrilled with them there, especially having them rammed down their proverbial throats. The B1G wants new markets and if they could get UV they fit academically in with everything the B1G wants. The B1G likes Maryland, why would UV be such a stretch?

I know most believe that money is the primary driver of the realignment bus, but tradition (and academics) also play into it to some degree.

The BE never really established much of a tradition on the football side. The Big 12 has a fairly decent tradition on the football side. The ACC has been around long enough to establish some tradition and rivalries on the football and basketball side.

But the Big 12 has a problem with Texas. I don't think Nebraska would have left if Texas and money distribution weren't a problem..same with Missouri looking around. The BE had so many problems before we left, and more now. These problems contribute to various members of those conferences looking around for more desirable affiliations.

I just don't see any charter members of the ACC seriously thinking about moving. FSU was a late arrival and they're really the only member that might think about a move in my opinion. Although I doubt that they'll move.

At this point with all the politics and intermural fighting going on in some of the BCS conferences the ACC looks to be among maybe 4 relatively stable conferences. The Pac 10 looks solid...the Big 10 no problem..SEC is solid...the ACC looks to be in a good place.

The ACC doesn't have to bend for anybody.