Class of 2017 - ND Transfer DB Mykelti Williams (IN) Not Admitted to Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 ND Transfer DB Mykelti Williams (IN) Not Admitted to Syracuse

Hopefully their not needed at all. Cordy and Foster need to stay healthy. Williams and Ellison are quality back ups. I might not like their length/upside but they both have experience.

Cordy had an unfortunate accident - helmet to the forearm. Other than that, his health hasn't been a concern. I think we will be fine.

Good point about Whitner. My guess is that its a combination of Foster's growth and what they've might have seen from Clarke thus far. I wonder if they expect Melifonwu/Coley to contribute.
'
I would not be surprised if Melifonwu was put on the accelerated development (0-60) growth path from day 1.

'
I would not be surprised if Melifonwu was put on the accelerated development (0-60) growth path from day 1.

That just screams overtly sarcastic euphemism.

I digress...Did I mention this sucks? Like dubbayouteeeff, here we go again, suck?

'
What about Jones, I heard he did well for his spot action. I believe he did had action at nickel?

That just screams overtly sarcastic euphemism.

I digress...Did I mention this sucks? Like dubbayouteeeff, here we go again, suck?

It certainly sucks BIG TIME that Williams is not going to be with us this fall.

I think the staff clearly sees something in Clarke, I think it's absolutely a good sign (being given a 2nd chance) that Dino values this kid and either his work ethic or god given abilities.

On Melifonwu, it may not be immediately at safety, but I do think this kid will see action on the field this year. He's a specimen who can perform on O or D and I think Dino has a plan/expectations for whichever need arises.

Our DB's are not yet a strength, but we're certainly no longer taking one step forward and two steps back.

We have big numbers, and a ton of experience in the secondary. If the staff reaches out for a boat load of grad transfers & jucos (as Dino & Brian Ward did), it isn't likely to bat 100% in getting the entire group qualified. So, yes it is tough to lose a promising addition at safety, but the secondary has Butler, Martin, Clarke, developing guys like Bradshaw & Foster, promising true frosh, and a host of returning players with starting experience. The DB room is more crowded than I can ever recall. Of those who have started (Hudson, Cordy/Ellison, Williams, Dowels), only Cordy is likely to hold off the competition.

I liked what I saw from Ellison last year. It seemed like he was putting a big hit on the receivers he played last year. He isn't the ideal size of what you want at Safety, but the kid can play and hit. I think he will get a lot more reps this year. Hopefully he has put on a little bit of weight from the weight room.

Unfortunately, they're both short and relatively slow.

Unfortunately, I tend to think this is the issue with most of the returning secondary. Lack of size and recovery speed is not a good combination. Hopefully, the new faces will help address this. You need to be able to play press man coverage with CBs and have tall, rangy, ballhawk type safties in the T2

Unfortunately, they're both short and relatively slow.

Yes Ellison & Williams are undersized, but a number of our DB candidates who aren't -- Martin, Clarke, Foster, Jones, Fredrick. Will be interesting to see the competition play out. Experience vs better size.

I liked what I saw from Ellison last year. It seemed like he was putting a big hit on the receivers he played last year. He isn't the ideal size of what you want at Safety, but the kid can play and hit. I think he will get a lot more reps this year. Hopefully he has put on a little bit of weight from the weight room.
Ellison was great in run support but struggles in coverage due to lack of speed and quickness.

Nothing against Ellison or Williams but I hope they get passed by the larger/more athletic DB's that we've brought in and spend their time on specials.

If you're undersized at S, then you better be very strong for your size and have elite speed/jumping ability. Otherwise, you will always be a liability against the FSU/Clemson/Elite OOC teams we face year in, year out.

Unfortunately, I tend to think this is the issue with most of the returning secondary. Lack of size and recovery speed is not a good combination. Hopefully, the new faces will help address this. You need to be able to play press man coverage with CBs and have tall, rangy, ballhawk type safties in the T2
Yeah, and that's not the type of guy Shafer and Co. recruited. The staff will get the guys they want over time - hard to reset the roster in two years.

Yeah, and that's not the type of guy Shafer and Co. recruited. The staff will get the guys they want over time - hard to reset the roster in two years.

Right. Babers inherited the general lack of size and speed in the back 7 (including the LBs).

I really like what the Babers (and Edinger) are doing to address this issue.

Nothing against Ellison or Williams but I hope they get passed by the larger/more athletic DB's that we've brought in and spend their time on specials.

If you're undersized at S, then you better be very strong for your size and have elite speed/jumping ability. Otherwise, you will always be a liability against the FSU/Clemson/Elite OOC teams we face year in, year out.
Exactly, like Shamarko.

Exactly, like Shamarko.

I think Cordy can be that too. He's going to have an extra year of maturity with the medical redshirt. He's a great athlete with great instincts. Plays larger than he is.

Put it this way - if one of the newbies beats our Cordy for SS color me impressed. They'll have earned it and it means we have an elite SS.

I agree with everyone about Williams and Ellison. I just like that our back up backs ups have game experience.

I think Cordy can be that too. He's going to have an extra year of maturity with the medical redshirt. He's a great athlete with great instincts. Plays larger than he is.

Put it this way - if one of the newbies beats our Cordy for SS color me impressed. They'll have earned it and it means we have an elite SS.

I LOVE cordy, his effort, his tackling, his angles to ball carriers, BUT he does lack instincts to cover in space. This glaring weakness is the difference between cordy and cant miss pros, lacking size. #honeybadger

How does this kid get into ND and not into SU? And he couldn't have been at JuCo because he was failing out of school. The transfer was too early in his career for that.

Nothing in the article says academics. Maybe something off the field that prevented his admission?

They will have to earn it. Love cordy, but his instincts are lacking in pass coverage. He is a stud and run recognition, angles, and tackling. He will get beat out by someone performing better in T2 coverage with just average run support skills.

They will have to earn it. Love cordy, but his instincts are lacking in pass coverage. He is a stud and run recognition, angles, and tackling. He will get beat out by someone performing better in T2 coverage with just average run support skills.

I don't know if you're aware of it but you responded to the same post twice with literally the same post lol.

I don't know if you're aware of it but you responded to the same post twice with literally the same post lol.

Yup, totally aware. Did it twice bc twice cordy was talked about like he was the next honey badger;)

Ellison is going to be the next Honey Badger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom