Nebraska fan asking about tony white | Syracusefan.com

Nebraska fan asking about tony white

huskerfan33

Walk On
First off, congratulations on a good season. I have several questions in regards to Tony white:

1. It seems your fanbase likes him. I was looking at the box scores and noticed his defenses have given up some points this year. Were there injuries? What were the reasons for that?

2. Does he run some 335 bear to stop the run? I know the 335 is susceptible to the run. Not sure how he does against the run?

3. Recruiting wise, he seems to be a great recruiter. What are your thoughts on his Recruiting ability?

Thanks for your input! Wish yall luck in your bowl game and for the upcoming years.

Great guy but I think he will have trouble with stopping the BIG OL consistently. With Nebraska recruits? Who knows? It'll be interesting.

1. All defenses give up points, that's just the nature of college football today. Our defense not only faced a pile of starters going down with injury this season, we lost a lot of our NFL guys and other starters. All said, they did well, and White gets a lot of credit for that. The defense is fairly opportunistic too. When it's on it gets stops and turnovers at good times.

2. You'll be better against the run than you might think, but it'll be interesting to see how he does in the "cloud of dust" conference.

3. I don't know how he is as a recruiter per SE, but he definitely has a good way of identifying the kind of player he can succeed with, and he plays a lot of guys. We've had lightly recruited players come in and make early contributions. Tells me he puts players in position to succeed, and has a system that allows guys to shine.

You got a good one. We're gonna miss him.

First off, congratulations on a good season. I have several questions in regards to Tony white:

1. It seems your fanbase likes him. I was looking at the box scores and noticed his defenses have given up some points this year. Were there injuries? What were the reasons for that?

2. Does he run some 335 bear to stop the run? I know the 335 is susceptible to the run. Not sure how he does against the run?

3. Recruiting wise, he seems to be a great recruiter. What are your thoughts on his Recruiting ability?

Thanks for your input! Wish yall luck in your bowl game and for the upcoming years.

Our defense was riddled with injuries.

Many times playing with 3rd and 4th string guys yet they still were competitive every game.

Biggest struggle is stopping the run. He prefers a speedy smallish front line. Could be trouble in the run heavy B10.

Y’all got a good one in Tony White. Really hurts to lose him.

He will be a HC in no time

Great guy but I think he will have trouble with stopping the BIG OL consistently. With Nebraska recruits? Who knows? It'll be interesting.
Most of our fanbase is worried about this. Luckily Wisconsin is going to the spread. Ferentz won't fire his son which means they'll be bad offensively. But I feel like we'll struggle with everyone else.

White will have everyone playing hard, and he will rotate in lots of guys. Your young players will benefit from early PT, which will pay dividends late in the season.

Good guy. Good coach. And as some have said on here, you will lose him to a HC position very soon.

Good luck.

He is a good coach and his 3-3-5 is a good scheme but expect it to take 2 or 3 years to be fully implemented.

There is a lot of complexity and it takes time to get fully in place.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Tony White is a rising star in the profession. Will be a HC soon. He is smart, has a good scheme and gets the most out of his players. Puts them in position to make plays. He's a very genuine guy and his players love playing for him. He is starting from scratch so it might take a couple years to fully see what he's capable of. We wish you well in the Big10. Just dont ever lose to rutgers.

He is a good coach and his 3-3-5 is a good scheme but expect it to take 2 or 3 years to be fully implemented.

There is a lot of complexity and he won’t be able to fully implement it for a long time.

Good luck.
It looks like his def3ns
Tony White is a rising star in the profession. Will be a HC soon. He is smart, has a good scheme and gets the most out of his players. Puts them in position to make plays. He's a very genuine guy and his players love playing for him. He is starting from scratch so it might take a couple years to fully see what he's capable of. We wish you well in the Big10. Just dont ever lose to rutgers.
We'll be pretty awful this year so luckily we don't play them.

There is a lot of complexity and he won’t be able to fully implement it for a long time.

Good luck.
It looks like his defense improved dramatically in year 2.

He runs multiple fronts including the bear. People freak out when they see smaller D lineman. or OLB's on the LOS. lol. Teams can run at his front at times but it balances out. He's able to create TFL's because of his pressures. He likes faster and explosive D lineman. He needs them to move because of the various stunts and blitzes he does. What's really important that most people will leave out is that he does a great job of adding defenders in the box. He disquises it so it makes it hard for offenses to determine when to run or pass.

It looks like his defense improved dramatically in year 2.
Its the Jimmys and Joes not the coaches…We have sent a number of players to the league on defense the last few years….The defense is best suited to stop passing offenses. Living in Omaha fans of NU tend to think the coaches can make tackles, make players work harder, make them faster, etc… NU has not had many NFL draft picks in recent years and sub par QB play. Could be a long road in the growing BIG despite all the money.

Last edited:
Its the Jimmys and Joes not the coaches…We have sent a number of players to the league on defense the last few years….The defense is best suited to stop passing offenses. Living in Omaha fans of NU tend to think the coaches can make tackles, make players work harder, make them faster, etc… NU has not had many NFL draft picks in recent years and sub par QB play. Could be a long road in the growing BIG despite all the money.
Well, frost never had guys tackle in practice lol.

Not an Xs and Os guy for football, so all I can tell you is that I had a lot of fun watching his defenses and his players clearly like to play for him. Your roster is likely to be deeper than what he had to work with here. Hate to lose him.

Wait, you dont think the coaches had anything to do with that? Trill was the only player that had a high ranking. They didnt come in as studs
IDing talent and finding kids who are smart and willing to work hard. Most coaches teach the same technique. Regardless of the rankings we all knew Trill, Cisco and Iffy were freaks. Think they all end of NFL wherever they went to college ala Sean Tucker.

IDing talent and finding kids who are smart and willing to work hard. Most coaches teach the same technique. Regardless of the rankings we all knew Trill, Cisco and Iffy were freaks. Think they all end of NFL wherever they went to college ala Sean Tucker.
What? The defense was better the last two years without those guys. They were good with guys like Roscoe Stef GW Caleb Chesnut Wax Jones and Carter. Coaches helped developed them. None of them are athletic freaks. Kingsley Jonathan is on a NFL roster. Not a freak.

Last edited:
I disagree with a lot of the thoughts that you will struggle to stop the run in the b1g. Our biggest challenge as a program is getting depth at the nose guard position. It is so key in the 3 3 5 defense. If you can recruit the d line well, you guys will love him. Syracuse has struggled at getting both offensive and defensive lineman the last 20 years. I think we played undersized because it's what we had, and he made the most of the talent he had to work with. I think he's a great coach.

Most teams dont tackle in practice anymore just thud stuff. It worked for Frost at CFU?

The problem for the Huskers, from what I saw, was they continued that into the games and didn't tackle then either.

This year IMO he was bend but don't break 1st half and then 2nd half was more aggressive.

The D will show a 4 man front quite often. That didn't work as well this year due to injuries, including our LB who was good up front.

Personally, I'd listen to money3189 for what you are asking for in terms of details.

My personal opinion as someone who is wholly unqualified to give it is that Tony White is actually ahead of where defenses are going with the way he runs the 3-3-5 and if you give him just a bit more depth and some more pure talent on the DL, especially, his D will be giving everyone in the B1G fits in the near future (but you do need to give him some runway to get the right pieces). That includes the run. I mean, UM broke OSU eventually and OSU has a roster of four and five star guys playing a "traditional" defense. I don't think trying an unique defense is going to set you back (and, again, I think it's ahead of the curve, personally).

His players love playing for him, the community will love him and you will have faith that your DC is making the right calls most of the time.

To me, this isn't just a good hire, it's a great hire. The biggest threat you'll have is that if he gets early success, he may get poached for an HC job, but that's life.

PS - Love the Omaha airport.