Never get your hopes up. Never give up on being mediocre either (Est. 2015) | Syracusefan.com

Never get your hopes up. Never give up on being mediocre either (Est. 2015)

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
When I say mediocre I say the bubble line.

We have had some early season debacles and always find our way home. Is it what we want as Syracuse fans. Not really, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
I’d be ecstatic with this season if we manage to claw our way into the bubble discussion. We look awful against garbage teams.

You could all be right.

It's too early to say that we are a bubble team or write-it off. But I use the past as a guideline.

I also found the notion that anybody who was getting upset with us not being top 25 after being 2-0, or that was upset when Joe had us as a 9 seed, was a bit absurd.

As I said, never too high, never too low until proven otherwise.

To say we have seen this at this time of year is also inaccurate - we have found a way to bounce back from several losses of this quality all the time since 2015... if you consider getting back to the bubble line as "bouncing back", which you rightfully might not see it as.

Back to back losses to Colgate and VCU were never on the menu before.
Never is a long time. Some of us are apparently older than never.

Went with too many unathletic and slow guys in an offense that is pick and roll, driving focused. It's a bad roster composition for style of play on offense and defense.
We should continue to drive when we can. But we need to set more screens and run more actions to get guys open on the 3 pt line.

You could all be right.

It's too early to say that we are a bubble team or write-it off. But I use the past as a guideline.

I also found the notion that anybody who was getting upset with us not being top 25 after being 2-0, or that was upset when Joe had us as a 9 seed, was a bit absurd.

As I said, never too high, never too low until proven otherwise.

To say we have seen this at this time of year is also inaccurate - we have found a way to bounce back from several losses of this quality all the time since 2015... if you consider getting back to the bubble line as "bouncing back", which you rightfully might not see it as.
I’m right with you, but this board is not capable of having reasoned takes. The same things being said after last night have been said after terrible losses in the 6 previous November and Decembers, but people can’t remember anything past 2 minutes ago these days.

I am sure if we somehow win the next three games the posts will be ludicrous the other way.

Elijah Hughes last year looked the same. Think back to the OKSU loss.

Boeheim’s an all time coach and will mold this team any which way he can, within the specifications he knows, and we will contend.

That said, our recruiting is at an all time bad imo. We need to bring in an assistant that not only can recruit with the blue bloods but can challenge Red and Gerry for succession rights.

I’m right with you, but this board is not capable of having reasoned takes. The same things being said after last night have been said after terrible losses in the 6 previous November and Decembers, but people can’t remember anything past 2 minutes ago these days.

I am sure if we somehow win the next three games the posts will be ludicrous the other way.
I here and now promise you that if we win the next 3 games I will be first in line to post something ludicrous the other way.

Elijah Hughes last year looked the same. Think back to the OKSU loss.

Boeheim’s an all time coach and will mold this team any which way he can, within the specifications he knows, and we will contend.

That said, our recruiting is at an all time bad imo. We need to bring in an assistant that not only can recruit with the blue bloods but can challenge Red and Gerry for succession rights.
Recruiting is not all time bad. We have a top 15 class and brought in solid players this year. You guys aren’t helping yourselves with the absurd takes.

Recruiting is not all time bad. We have a top 15 class and brought in solid players this year. You guys aren’t helping yourselves with the absurd takes.
I think we’ve got good prospects coming in but I don’t think we’re recruiting well enough to compete at a top 25 level in today’s college basketball. I get that our class is top 15, but it’s looking like we’ll stay a weaker rebounding and more perimeter reliant team.

Imo Cuse needs top notch athletes at forward always, and fearless distributing guards. Think we may have one with Cope but im waiting to see how he performs at his new school.

My favorite recruit’s Maliq. I hope he’s of the Roberson/Guerrier mold with greater focus and minus the hanging around the perimeter (Q). We need big, athletic guys downlow banging with the opposing rebounders.

Its hard to run a zone that turns into transition when we’re constantly collapsing due to being out muscled and outpaced.

I think we’ve got good prospects coming in but I don’t think we’re recruiting well enough to compete at a top 25 level in today’s college basketball. I get that our class is top 15, but it’s looking like we’ll stay a weaker rebounding and more perimeter reliant team.

Imo Cuse needs top notch athletes at forward always, and fearless distributing guards. Think we may have one with Cope but im waiting to see how he performs at his new school.

My favorite recruit’s Maliq. I hope he’s of the Roberson/Guerrier mold with greater focus and minus the hanging around the perimeter (Q). We need big, athletic guys downlow banging with the opposing rebounders.

Its hard to run a zone that turns into transition when we’re constantly collapsing due to being out muscled and outpaced.
We have a top athlete at forward right now. The issue is he’s doing absolutely nothing.

We have a top athlete at forward right now. The issue is he’s doing absolutely nothing.
We’re moseying around the perimeter, and jacking up threes.

Our guard, who was also a good recruit, faces g5 and lower level competition and runs the offense with his back to the basket almost like he doesn’t want to attack.

I don’t think Benny’s “not what was advertised”. I think our offense is settling for bad looks and not working to get open.

We have great passers. Jimmy, Joe and Cole have to stop dribbling to nowhere and keep the ball moving. The baseline dunks and elbow jumpers are there for a guy like Benny. We just don’t have anyone interested in working for a good look or challenging the defense.

Can we not run that back pick alley-oop play for Benny once a game?

Can we not EVER get out in transition and he fills the lane and dunks it? Can we not ever break a team’s pressure defense and get him a dunk?

We play absolutely brutal basketball to watch. I hate it. If I wasn’t a lifelong Orange fan and had no connection to the program - just as a b-ball fan, I would hate this program. We used to play good and enjoyable b-ball.

Can we not run that back pick alley-oop play for Benny once a game?

Can we not EVER get out in transition and he fills the lane and dunks it? Can we not ever break a team’s pressure defense and get him a dunk?

We play absolutely brutal basketball to watch. I hate it. If I wasn’t a lifelong Orange fan and had no connection to the program - just as a b-ball fan, I would hate this program. We used to play good and enjoyable b-ball.

I think Jesse has the length and vision to catch the ball at the foul line, turn and find Benny for that dunk. Issue is Joe doesn’t work to the basket and I have only seen Jimmy look for Jesse or anyone open in the middle.

Don’t see transition happening unless Symir is in. Cole fills the outside of the weave well (did it multiple times vs Laf and Drex). I just would like to see the below lineup in more. And I get it, Symir’s been brutal in spots too.

Symir
Cole
Buddy
Benny
Jesse

Id love to see Joe work off the ball but our zone’s just too small in that situation.

We’re moseying around the perimeter, and jacking up threes.

Our guard, who was also a good recruit, faces g5 and lower level competition and runs the offense with his back to the basket almost like he doesn’t want to attack.

I don’t think Benny’s “not what was advertised”. I think our offense is settling for bad looks and not working to get open.

We have great passers. Jimmy, Joe and Cole have to stop dribbling to nowhere and keep the ball moving. The baseline dunks and elbow jumpers are there for a guy like Benny. We just don’t have anyone interested in working for a good look or challenging the defense.

Swider got wide open looks all night due to the attention on Buddy and Joe. We signed him to hit those shots. He missed them.

Back to back losses to Colgate and VCU were never on the menu before.

I would say the following was a pretty bad period for us, especially that last loss to BC which was horrendous. Despite that we still somehow got back on the bubble line (but fell short). My point is we have bounced back to mediocre levels before.

I'm not trying to stop the current despair / give up either. They have earned that.

1637855643754.png

UConn ended #96 in KP (.500 team)
Georgetown finished 14-18, yet beat us at home.
St. John's finished 14-19, KP #99
Boston College finished 9-23, KP #173, and prompted the infamous "0-18 in the ACC" Thread.

As a comparison VCU is currently #98 in KP and Colgate is #111

From a year earlier. Georgetown was a 15-18 team that year. St John's went 8-24, and was #211 in KP. (#211!!). I guess at least we handled Colgate but they were #256 back then.

1637856195186.png

Once again, I am merely defending the possibility of us being at that mediocre level again.
Which I still find totally unacceptable given the history of our program.

I would say the following was a pretty bad period for us, especially that last loss to BC which was horrendous. Despite that we still somehow got back on the bubble line (but fell short). My point is we have bounced back to mediocre levels before.

I'm not trying to stop the current despair / give up either. They have earned that.

View attachment 211097

UConn ended #96 in KP (.500 team)
Georgetown finished 14-18, yet beat us at home.
St. John's finished 14-19, KP #99
Boston College finished 9-23, KP #173, and prompted the infamous "0-18 in the ACC" Thread.

As a comparison VCU is currently #98 in KP and Colgate is #111

From a year earlier. Georgetown was a 15-18 team that year. St John's went 8-24, and was #211 in KP. (#211!!). I guess at least we handled Colgate but they were #256 back then.

View attachment 211098

Once again, I am merely defending the possibility of us being at that mediocre level again.
Which I still find totally unacceptable given the history of our program.
Losing to league rivals, even when they're bad, is not as bad as losing to mediocre to bad OOC teams. You're right though. There's always a chance we grind out a turn around.

As an aside. I may have had a chance at landing Carrie Underwood that one time she touched my hand.

Losing to league rivals, even when they're bad, is not as bad as losing to mediocre to bad OOC teams. You're right though. There's always a chance we grind out a turn around.

As an aside. I may have had a chance at landing Carrie Underwood that one time she touched my hand.

Losing to St. John's in 2015 and BC in 2016 was far worse than those two games, rival or not.

I guess the positives with those years is we had accumulated some positive wins before those losses.. which we have yet to accomplish this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom