Never get your hopes up. Never give up on being mediocre either (Est. 2015) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Never get your hopes up. Never give up on being mediocre either (Est. 2015)

Losing to St. John's in 2015 and BC in 2016 was far worse than those two games, rival or not.

I guess the positives with those years is we had accumulated some positive wins before those losses.. which we have yet to accomplish this year.
I disagree. I’d rather lose 10 times in a row to St. John’s than lose once to Colgate. Nobody knows or cares if we lose to St. John’s. Colgate becomes a “laugh stock” type story, regardless of how good they are. Same with St. Bonnie’s. These scrubby little chip on their shoulder Upstate NY boonies schools can’t be beating us.

I disagree. I’d rather lose 10 times in a row to St. John’s than lose once to Colgate. Nobody knows or cares if we lose to St. John’s. Colgate becomes a “laugh stock” type story, regardless of how good they are. Same with St. Bonnie’s. These scrubby little chip on their shoulder Upstate NY boonies schools can’t be beating us.

I was not looking at it from an emotional level, purely quantitatively, so I see your point.
Add Buffalo to the list as well.

Losing to St. John's in 2015 and BC in 2016 was far worse than those two games, rival or not.

I guess the positives with those years is we had accumulated some positive wins before those losses.. which we have yet to accomplish this year.
Agree to disagree. Conference games are always tougher that a similarly rated non league opponent. Colgate isn't good and they won going away. VCU was blocking our jumpshots. I care more about what I see with my eyes than what Kenpom's numbers say.

I was not looking at it from an emotional level, purely quantitatively, so I see your point.
Add Buffalo to the list as well.
Yup. Losing to Buffalo, Bonnies, and Colgate in recent years is flat out embarrassing. We made all their decades.

Does UNC lose to UNC-Greensboro, Davidson, and Charlotte?

We haven’t played a conference game as a ranked team in 2,818 days. March 9th 2014.

That is amazing. To be fair we have been to a final four and 2 sweet sixteens in that time but we again we have been the plucky overachievers.

We are not a dominant program or program to be feared.

2818 days since we played an ACC regular conference game ranked.

Agree to disagree. Conference games are always tougher that a similarly rated non league opponent. Colgate isn't good and they won going away. VCU was blocking our jumpshots. I care more about what I see with my eyes than what Kenpom's numbers say.

1. None of those games with the exception of BC were conference games. They were all non tournament teams that were big out of conference rivalry games for those schools early in the year. Are you saying this is not a big rivalry game for Colgate especially this year when they are much better equipped to give us a game than in recent years )?

2.. If your argument is that we stink based on your eyes, that we are a very poorly constructed team compared to prior years, and we are going nowhere because of that that is certainly fine. It is hard to disagree based on the sample we have seen especially since we have yet to even have a decent win and the fit for the system seems bad.

3. However, if you are going to argue that Colgate / VCU are worse than the teams we have had losses to in recent years, you are clearly wrong. You are letting your emotions impact the validity of the comments you are making.

4. If you want to argue that emotionally these losses suck much more as fans like Orange DW has (Colgate especially) that is fine as well.

Last edited:
1. None of those games with the exception of BC were conference games. They were all non tournament teams that were big out of conference rivalry games for those schools early in the year. Are you saying this is not a big rivalry game for Colgate especially this year when they are much better equipped to give us a game than in recent years )?

2.. If your argument is that we stink based on your eyes, that we are a very poorly constructed team compared to prior years, and we are going nowhere because of that that is certainly fine. It is hard to disagree based on the sample we have seen especially since we have yet to even have a decent win and the fit for the system seems bad.

3. However, if you are going to argue that Colgate / VCU are worse than the teams we have had losses to in recent years, you are clearly wrong. You are letting your emotions impact the validity of the comments you are making.

4. If you want to argue that emotionally these losses suck much more as fans like Orange DW has (Colgate especially) that is fine as well.
You're right. I lost track of the timing of conference changes. Primarily, I am number 2 on the list you made.

I would say the following was a pretty bad period for us, especially that last loss to BC which was horrendous. Despite that we still somehow got back on the bubble line (but fell short). My point is we have bounced back to mediocre levels before.

I'm not trying to stop the current despair / give up either. They have earned that.

View attachment 211097

UConn ended #96 in KP (.500 team)
Georgetown finished 14-18, yet beat us at home.
St. John's finished 14-19, KP #99
Boston College finished 9-23, KP #173, and prompted the infamous "0-18 in the ACC" Thread.

As a comparison VCU is currently #98 in KP and Colgate is #111

From a year earlier. Georgetown was a 15-18 team that year. St John's went 8-24, and was #211 in KP. (#211!!). I guess at least we handled Colgate but they were #256 back then.

View attachment 211098

Once again, I am merely defending the possibility of us being at that mediocre level again.
Which I still find totally unacceptable given the history of our program.
Yea, this reminds me of all those losses and terrible basketball in Dec and early Jan 2016 when we had thought that team could be a Final Four contender.

Yea, this reminds me of all those losses and terrible basketball in Dec and early Jan 2016 when we had thought that team could be a Final Four contender.
Maybe we just need someone to predict 0-36 and threaten to walk to Syracuse or something to turn things around.

Maybe we just need someone to predict 0-36 and threaten to walk to Syracuse or something to turn things around.
From New Jersey, right. That must have been a long walk. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom