New Coaching Staff | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Coaching Staff

Say what you want to justify about credibility but the way this program is going, its losing it fast and you can start by seeing the recruits that we would or should get ,turn their nose up at the coaches and that goes for the university also. Hopkins can't coach (we saw that when HCJB was suspended) and he sure can't recruit. And for his assistants, great players for SU but can't teach or recruit, Maybe other than A. Autry. If you watched the last game (last night) at BC, that game tells it all. And it is going to get much worse. We will see how long before you start asking for change. I have been a SU fan for 30 years and I bet you are going to see the next two years in recruiting is going to be a disaster. Oh Lord

This is flat out an uneducated statement.

This is flat out an uneducated statement.
How can you call it a uneducated statement when this 2017 class is a disaster and nothing is so far promising for 2018. JB has milked out his retirement and leaving the team in the hands of a unproven assistant that been with him for umteen years and is not a recruiter and if so who did he get. Its not to hard to say it its was a educated statement. SERIOUSLY, have you watched this team this year, Have you follow the recruiting this past year and nothing really lined up for next year. The poster is right when he said what players want to play for a new coach "unproven coach" and a losing team. I know being a fan you stick behind your team no matter what, but to be ignorant when the reality is hitting you in the face what wrong with this team. SU, you live with this staff and it will die with it because of what someone said, "loyalty. If SU doesn't pull a top recruiting out of their butt next year, it will be 5-7 years before they see daylight again. How much leash will they give Hopkins? Hopefully not much. Don't forget that we lose Coleman,Robertson, White, and Gillon and Lydon is a guarantee gone. That leaves you Battle,Howard Thompson, Moyer, and the 2 newbie, one forward and one center. No pgs, no sg, no real wings. Ya uneducated statement. SU has to stop putting all their eggs in one basket. Just like what JB and staff did when they spent over a year on Q.Green, when they could have gotten a I. Washington or maybe Coleman commitment early and the both of them were in many peoples opinion as good as Green. Now you end up with empty nest and not one true pg. (Please no one say Howard is.) choke!

How can you call it a uneducated statement when this 2017 class is a disaster and nothing is so far promising for 2018. JB has milked out his retirement and leaving the team in the hands of a unproven assistant that been with him for umteen years and is not a recruiter and if so who did he get. Its not to hard to say it its was a educated statement. SERIOUSLY, have you watched this team this year, Have you follow the recruiting this past year and nothing really lined up for next year. The poster is right when he said what players want to play for a new coach "unproven coach" and a losing team. I know being a fan you stick behind your team no matter what, but to be ignorant when the reality is hitting you in the face what wrong with this team. SU, you live with this staff and it will die with it because of what someone said, "loyalty. If SU doesn't pull a top recruiting out of their butt next year, it will be 5-7 years before they see daylight again. How much leash will they give Hopkins? Hopefully not much. Don't forget that we lose Coleman,Robertson, White, and Gillon and Lydon is a guarantee gone. That leaves you Battle,Howard Thompson, Moyer, and the 2 newbie, one forward and one center. No pgs, no sg, no real wings. Ya uneducated statement. SU has to stop putting all their eggs in one basket. Just like what JB and staff did when they spent over a year on Q.Green, when they could have gotten a I. Washington or maybe Coleman commitment early and the both of them were in many peoples opinion as good as Green. Now you end up with empty nest and not one true pg. (Please no one say Howard is.) choke!
So you are going to judge Hop's ability to recruit based off of one terrible recruiting cycle? His ability as a coach is a huge question, since we have a very small sample(and not a good one), but his ability to recruit (based off his many years of recruiting for us) is on par with many other recruiters, outside of the big names(and we all know who they are).

Warrick
McNamara
Kris Joseph
MCW
Ennis
etc...
I'm sure JB was the one who actually recruited them and he closed the deal. Once he's gone it will be different.and some of these are years ago.

I'm sure JB was the one who actually recruited them and he closed the deal. Once he's gone it will be different.and some of these are years ago.
You're sure? Don't fall into the trap of believing what you want to believe, just to support an unfounded theory.

Wasn't there an article in the past 2 years or so that rated Hopkins one of the top 10 assistant coach recruiters? I mean people are just throwing garbage out there right now because we are losing and it's east to criticize.

So you are going to judge Hop's ability to recruit based off of one terrible recruiting cycle? His ability as a coach is a huge question, since we have a very small sample(and not a good one), but his ability to recruit (based off his many years of recruiting for us) is on par with many other recruiters, outside of the big names(and we all know who they are).
No , not on one bad recruiting year, I'm basing it on the many years hes been under HCJB and how many top recruits did he get and close the deal on. I will eat every word I wrote if I'm wrong, but I see this team going down a dark dark road and they won't get back to where we were for quite awhile.

Wasn't there an article in the past 2 years or so that rated Hopkins one of the top 10 assistant coach recruiters? I mean people are just throwing garbage out there right now because we are losing and it's east to criticize.
No Im not throwing it out there now, I have felt that Hopkins wasn't the one from day they announced him being the coach. I felt they should find the best available coach to replace JB prior to his retirement. I figured this was the best time to vent with losing and our recruiting stinks and this is how I feel. Remember ,we all have our opinions its not to blast anyone one here but to make your point.

No , not on one bad recruiting year, I'm basing it on the many years hes been under HCJB and how many top recruits did he get and close the deal on. I will eat every word I wrote if I'm wrong, but I see this team going down a dark dark road and they won't get back to where we were for quite awhile.

Don't think you wanted to publicly disclose your lack of knowledge, even basic research. Sad.

Beat Coach Hop If You Can, Survive If He Lets You

Mike Hopkins ranked second in "most-feared'' college recruiters

No Im not throwing it out there now, I have felt that Hopkins wasn't the one from day they announced him being the coach. I felt they should find the best available coach to replace JB prior to his retirement. I figured this was the best time to vent with losing and our recruiting stinks and this is how I feel. Remember ,we all have our opinions its not to blast anyone one here but to make your point.
I would guess most of us are frustrated, as we have been afforded the luxury of 40 great seasons in a row (some better than others), but to say that Hop was never responsible for the recruitment of our great players would be false, based upon the considerable knowledge that our insiders have passed along. Hop has been a great recruiter in the past. We will see how he does as the closer in the future. Recruiting is a dirty business, and I am sure we have lost our top recruits for a great number of reasons. Hopefully, once this is Hops's program, he makes the necessary changes for this program to excel.

I think Hop is a fine recruiter, but the last three years have been pretty subpar and that coincides with two things: Hop taking on a more HC role and GMac handling more recruiting duties, and NCAA sanctions. But sanctions aren't preventing SU from filling out its roster just from having 13 scholarships. Having three open slots on an already limited roster (four if Lydon leaves) is not good at all.

I'll give you that the short term future does not look good, actually very scary, but just look at this years team. Our problem is not recruiting! Next year after the dud cycle we have had so far, might be. Of course, I hope we are all wrong!
Hop has missed out on some big time names, as every recruiter has, but when it comes to recruiting he's just fine. Hopefully his ability to mold a "team" is better, because this mess of jumbled parts we have now, is simply embarrassing!

over the last 10 seasons, SU has been ranked outside the top 25 recruiting classes just once, in 2009. In 5 of those 10 seasons, we have had a class ranked in the top 10.

this recruiting season may find us out of the top 25 again, but recent history has shown that we can recover from down recruiting cycles. 2017 is not over yet, btw.

the problem is not that recruiting has been poor, but that we've misjudged the talent on consecutive point guards (Joseph & Howard) and missed out so far on a replacement this cycle. Three cycles without a PG is tough to overcome.

Hopkins can't coach (we saw that when HCJB was suspended)
we saw a sample of 9 games with a team that was not that good & didn't gel until the very end of the year. Not nearly enough for a rational person to make such a sweeping judgement.

This isn't directed against you specifically, Cherie -- but I hope "SU ties" is far down the list of evaluative criteria when it comes to the next coach selecting his staff. If lots of other boxes are checked AND the guy happens to have SU ties -- great. But we should be looking to bring in the best ACs / recruiters we can, and not delimiting ourselves to only those with SU ties.
and when you look at our history, our highest highs have featured an outside guy prominently on the staff:
  • Pitino when Boeheim was getting things rolling with Louis & Bouie
  • Wayne Morgan with the great teams of the 80s to mid 90s
  • Troy Weaver with the 2003 title team
  • Rob Murphy in the Shut It Down years

over the last 10 seasons, SU has been ranked outside the top 25 recruiting classes just once, in 2009. In 5 of those 10 seasons, we have had a class ranked in the top 10.

this recruiting season may find us out of the top 25 again, but recent history has shown that we can recover from down recruiting cycles. 2017 is not over yet, btw.

the problem is not that recruiting has been poor, but that we've misjudged the talent on consecutive point guards (Joseph & Howard) and missed out so far on a replacement this cycle. Three cycles without a PG is tough to overcome.

we saw a sample of 9 games with a team that was not that good & didn't gel until the very end of the year. Not nearly enough for a rational person to make such a sweeping judgement.

We may be outside of the top 100 with recruiting this year.

We may be outside of the top 100 with recruiting this year.
Two-Four-Seven has us ranked #59 right now, with just Brishet & Sidibe. I have faith that we'll add at least one quality player in the spring which will bring us into the top 50 or better.
There are issues with the program, but the perception that recruiting has fallen off a cliff isn't supported by the facts

Two-Four-Seven has us ranked #59 right now, with just Brishet & Sidibe. I have faith that we'll add at least one quality player in the spring which will bring us into the top 50 or better.
There are issues with the program, but the perception that recruiting has fallen off a cliff isn't supported by the facts

Agree 100%.

A much bigger issue is whether holes / team needs have been fulfilled by the most recent class, but when it is all said and done I'd expect the class of 2017 to be rated much higher than it currently is. I'm a big fan of both bigs we landed in the fall -- I just wish that we'd also landed more perimeter talent / depth to go along with them.

We are certainly good at recruiting power forwards. Can't say much about the rest of the positions.

We are certainly good at recruiting power forwards. Can't say much about the rest of the positions.
we've had 5 guards drafted in the first round of the last 8 NBA drafts, three of them in the lottery, one of whom won Rookie of the Year.

yeah, we suck at identifying, signing & developing backcourt players.

That is friggin sad. unreal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom