2021 Laura Salmeron (Spain) Decommitted / Flipped to Loyola | Syracusefan.com

2021 Laura Salmeron (Spain) Decommitted / Flipped to Loyola

Spectacular inside the track and spectacular out of it
After 8 ⃣ seasons defending the LILA , the 5-time Champion of Spain, Laura Salmeron ( @Frank19645 ) will close its stage after this season to continue training in the USA
Proud to be part of your path!

I watched her highlights. 5'8 PG out of Spain.

Quick, has the ability to get into the paint whenever she wants. Finishes well, excellent at penetrating and kicking it out to a teammate for an open 3. She will get a lot of points and assists in her career.

Looks active and good on defense too. Will get a lot of steals. Not a lot of outside shots taken but her form looks good there too.

She is going to get compared to Tiana a lot. I think the comparisons are apt ones. She has a lot of potential and her playing style is perfect for Q.

Does this mean we definitely aren’t getting one of the two 5 stars that we’re after due to available roster spots?

Does this mean we definitely aren’t getting one of the two 5 stars that we’re after due to available roster spots?
Looking at the roster, there are only 14 players listed, which means there is one scholarship available already. There are 3 grad transfers on the team all of whom will be gone, as will Gabby. Last I heard, Tiana is a senior but is expected to redshirt and return.

We have verbals from 5'7 PG Keira Fisher out of Elmira, 6'0 combo guard Faith Blackstone, out of North Carolina, and Priscilla Williams, a 6'2 wing out of Missouri.

There should be room to take 5 in this class. Space should not be a problem. But the timing does not auger well for us.

Laura, Welcome to the Syracuse family!

ojuicegiphy.gif

Looking at the roster, there are only 14 players listed, which means there is one scholarship available already. There are 3 grad transfers on the team all of whom will be gone, as will Gabby. Last I heard, Tiana is a senior but is expected to redshirt and return.

We have verbals from 5'7 PG Keira Fisher out of Elmira, 6'0 combo guard Faith Blackstone, out of North Carolina, and Priscilla Williams, a 6'2 wing out of Missouri.

There should be room to take 5 in this class. Space should not be a problem. But the timing does not auger well for us.
We actually have another verbal commit in Khamya McNeal out of Milwaukee, WI. And I thought women's basketball gets 13 full tuition scholarships instead of 15 like the men's? With Laura's commitment, that puts us at 5 commits already for the 2020 class. Not sure how the scholarship thing is going to work out but with Angel Reese set to announce her commitment tonight at 9, I think this lets us know she will be heading to Maryland, and not us. :(

For men, the number is 13. For women, it is 15.

Thanks for the info on Khamya. Hadn't heard about her.

So as things stand right now, it looks like we have room for 1 more. Unless there is another recruit out there I am unaware of. We are really loading up with guards...

For men, the number is 13. For women, it is 15.

Thanks for the info on Khamya. Hadn't heard about her.

So as things stand right now, it looks like we have room for 1 more. Unless there is another recruit out there I am unaware of. We are really loading up with guards...
Thanks for the info re: scholarships. I always get confused when it comes to those lol. If we are not getting Angel, I'm hoping we can somehow snag Cardoso!

Angel Reese just verbaled to Maryland. Looks like we got word and had a solid backup plan.

Roster balance? I must be missing something.
We are taking a lot of guards but Q, like many these days, likes to use a 3 guard offense. Given that, it makes sense.

A 3 guard offense or a 4 guard offense?- not sure that Q's teams can compete with the elite programs because of a crushing size differential.

We are taking a lot of guards but Q, like many these days, likes to use a 3 guard offense. Given that, it makes sense.

What are we down to at this point? They certainly did not play this whole thing the right way. It would have made more sense to bring in an interim coach not already associated with the program. I am not even sure that would have helped. We know that Q was a great recruiter, and these freshman girls were sold something by Q and now it is not that same thing. But leaving Vonn sent the wrong message. He was in the room...And he seems to be short on personality also. Not someone who can win the girls over. Just sayin...

What are we down to at this point? They certainly did not play this whole thing the right way. It would have made more sense to bring in an interim coach not already associated with the program. I am not even sure that would have helped. We know that Q was a great recruiter, and these freshman girls were sold something by Q and now it is not that same thing. But leaving Vonn sent the wrong message. He was in the room...And he seems to be short on personality also. Not someone who can win the girls over. Just sayin...
It's now to late to save the season, they would be better to clean house. Keep whoever of the remaining players that might want to stay on scholarship, and start over next year with a new coach.

Laughingstock. You can always count on SU's administration to make the school an object of national derision...Another "success"! And it is not over!