Class of 2021 - New Commit: Blake Borges (NY/CT) Mid | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 New Commit: Blake Borges (NY/CT) Mid

Like this addition. Pretty uncommon that a Yorktown kid isn't good for us... they have a great program. Based on his highlights I think he could maybe run some attack too hes slippery and a good passer.

Impressive looking player, has good size and is pretty physical. Seems bigger than 6'1. It appears as though, at least when it comes to midfielders that March might have a type, as they are all over 6 foot. Even the guys SU has missed out on were pretty tall. Interested to see how this class comes together, nine total commitments, only one true defenseman and one LSM. To recap -

Attack (1) - Corsi
Midfield (3) - Kelly, Kelly and Borges
Defensive Midfield (1) - LeVine
LSM (1) - Gonsiorek
Close Defense (1) - McCarthy
FOGO (1) - Fine
Goalie (1) - Rolley

Impressive looking player, has good size and is pretty physical. Seems bigger than 6'1. It appears as though, at least when it comes to midfielders that March might have a type, as they are all over 6 foot. Even the guys SU has missed out on were pretty tall. Interested to see how this class comes together, nine total commitments, only one true defenseman and one LSM. To recap -

Attack (1) - Corsi
Midfield (3) - Kelly, Kelly and Borges
Defensive Midfield (1) - LeVine
LSM (1) - Gonsiorek
Close Defense (1) - McCarthy
FOGO (1) - Fine
Goalie (1) - Rolley

A few weeks ago I think you or maybe Ohmilax noted that we really needed to get a few middies in the fold, cue two commits including a top 100 guy who looks impressive. This class may lack the top 100 firepower but I like what we have done here. 2 attackmen and 2 middies plus getting a guy at pretty much every position ie FOGO, Goalie, LSM etc. Like the way we identified that middie was an issue with the guys we have lost to the transfer portal and lack of middies in the fold just a few weeks ago. At this point I think we need to bring in at least 1 more offensive player, preferably an attackmen if both Kelly's are going to play middie. Would also like to see another pole be it an LSM or Close guy, losing Tornado hurts for sure but think we recovered nicely and the LeVine pickup is a big one.

Is it weird that this kid is transferring from Yorktown? It makes me think he might be trying to get his grades up. Maybe to try to upgrade the colleges he can get in to?

I like the video.

Is it weird that this kid is transferring from Yorktown? It makes me think he might be trying to get his grades up. Maybe to try to upgrade the colleges he can get in to?

I like the video.

He will be facing overall better competition at Brunswick I imagine. Lot's of tough teams across the board in the New England prep school scene, where as NY can be a little hit or miss. No idea if that is the type of decision made for grade improvement specifically. Probably smaller classes and more potential one on one time with teachers at Brunswick. Don't worry he will flip in two weeks and we won't need to speculate anymore.

He will be facing overall better competition at Brunswick I imagine. Lot's of tough teams across the board in the New England prep school scene, where as NY can be a little hit or miss. No idea if that is the type of decision made for grade improvement specifically. Probably smaller classes and more potential one on one time with teachers at Brunswick. Don't worry he will flip in two weeks and we won't need to speculate anymore.

Syracuse kids don’t tend to come out of ‘wick. Factory for Duke and the Ivys...and the head coach is a UVA guy.

Syracuse kids don’t tend to come out of ‘wick. Factory for Duke and the Ivys...and the head coach is a UVA guy.

Could it be a Pat March thing?

According to a Ty Xanders tweet yesterday, Brunswick is a pipeline for Princeton, so the March connection makes sense. SU still has a good amount of kids they pull from New England Prep schools.
This makes sense. While I think we are all partial to some traditional recruiting pipelines (CNY, Hudson Valley, New Jersey) and some emerging pipelines (Portland, Florida, Texas), opening new ones with March makes sense. SOOO many kids are reclassing and transferring to private schools now, so having an additional pipeline to more NE preps makes sense.

This makes sense. While I think we are all partial to some traditional recruiting pipelines (CNY, Hudson Valley, New Jersey) and some emerging pipelines (Portland, Florida, Texas), opening new ones with March makes sense. SOOO many kids are reclassing and transferring to private schools now, so having an additional pipeline to more NE preps makes sense.

I'm not sure if we've discussed it, but as things stand neither the 2020 or 2021 recruiting class will have a player from CNY. It's really pretty incredible, I don't think any program was as linked to one geographical area as much as Syracuse and central New York. Anyways, things change but credit to Desko et all for being able to look all over the country for good players. Its not that there are no good players in CNY anymore, but the decline has been pretty steep regardless.

I'm not sure if we've discussed it, but as things stand neither the 2020 or 2021 recruiting class will have a player from CNY. It's really pretty incredible, I don't think any program was as linked to one geographical area as much as Syracuse and central New York. Anyways, things change but credit to Desko et all for being able to look all over the country for good players. Its not that there are no good players in CNY anymore, but the decline has been pretty steep regardless.

Not to say there weren't a couple of higher end players but 2020 and 2021 were pretty low for CNY standards as far as elite D1 players. Certainly they were a couple who went elsewhere so I dont mean to disparage them but normally there is at least 3 times the amount of D1 players. Slim pickings.

6. BRUNSWICK (CONN.)
LAST SEASON: 16-3
The Bruins are loaded, especially with a junior class featuring defenseman Colin Mulshine (Princeton), midfielder Blake Borges (Syracuse), LSM Blake Burchill (Bucknell) and midfielder Lucas Delgado (Michigan). Brunswick’s schedule includes games with Deerfield (Mass.), Darien, Haverford School (Pa.) and Hill Academy (Ontario, Canada).

I believe this kid stands out from the rest of the group for his leg and hip strength which help him accelerate out of cuts and for his very quick change of direction. He can run through checks without losing his line very well. Look forward to watching him.

You can see Blake and the freewheeling Bruins on ESPNU 04/23

DC33CB9E-8087-4E63-BAEE-7173B358D25D.jpeg

Saw this game of Brunswick vs Lawrenceville featuring a nice display from Blake Borges. He has the typical vibe of a Cuse recruit in the middle of the field. Big strong athlete who has a high ceiling. There were more central stars to the impressive Brunswick offense than him, but his strength and athleticism stood out. Not really a Curry flat out speed dodger but had some nice shake and deception on his moves. Believe he ended the day 0,1 while occasionally drawing the pole. He drew plenty of slides and could have easily had more assists if guys finished. Completely broke a D poles ankles at one point. The level of competition was high as well with Brunswick being a consistent powerhouse and Lawrenceville another big name, now under the coaching of John Posner from Culver. He could be the most intriguing player in the 2021 class along with Carter Rice who has a similar game to his. Will be interesting to see if we try to keep the Posner to Pat March connection going in the upcoming years, now that he is coaching closer to Cuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom