Class of 2019 - New Commit: Brandon Aviles (NY:Ward-Melville) FO/Mid | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 New Commit: Brandon Aviles (NY:Ward-Melville) FO/Mid

OK, so I haven't watched a wrestling match in person since Gene Mills and Mike Rotunda at Manley, so this may be a silly question.

What is the referee checking for at the beginning of the match when the wrestlers hold out their arms and the ref feels around their shoulders and under their arms? The only thing I can figure out is they are looking for some sort of slippery substance that would increase their chances of escaping. Is that right?

I think any wrestling videos out there of a Brandon Aviles from Long Island are NOT the SU lacrosse commit. The wrestler is older and went to John Glenn HS.

OK, so I haven't watched a wrestling match in person since Gene Mills and Mike Rotunda at Manley, so this may be a silly question.

What is the referee checking for at the beginning of the match when the wrestlers hold out their arms and the ref feels around their shoulders and under their arms? The only thing I can figure out is they are looking for some sort of slippery substance that would increase their chances of escaping. Is that right?
maybe razor blades?

maybe razor blades?
Wow! Finally, an answer to my question of 2 1/2 years ago.
1537219955456.gif

Skin check for any cuts or lesions but that ref does a lousy job.

Let me preface my post by saying that I will always root for everyone on the Syracuse lacrosse team. I want every player on the team to succeed.

If I google brandon aviles ward melville I can find a little bit about him. His name pops up enough for us to know that he plays for Ward Melville. However, further research shows that he doesn't really take face offs for WM. A different player in the same class named Michael Giaquinto (UPenn commit) takes the face offs. Further research also shows that he scored 4 points in 2018 on 3 goals and 1 assist.

Aviles may end up being a great player, but I'm confused. Maybe he plays SSDM mostly at WM. According to the box score from the NYS final he started on midfield. http://www.nysphsaa.org/Portals/0/P.../2018/New York State Class A Championship.pdf

Let me preface my post by saying that I will always root for everyone on the Syracuse lacrosse team. I want every player on the team to succeed.

If I google brandon aviles ward melville I can find a little bit about him. His name pops up enough for us to know that he plays for Ward Melville. However, further research shows that he doesn't really take face offs for WM. A different player in the same class named Michael Giaquinto (UPenn commit) takes the face offs. Further research also shows that he scored 4 points in 2018 on 3 goals and 1 assist.

Aviles may end up being a great player, but I'm confused. Maybe he plays SSDM mostly at WM. According to the box score from the NYS final he started on midfield. http://www.nysphsaa.org/Portals/0/PDF/Sports/Lacrosse - Boys/2018/New York State Class A Championship.pdf

While it is yesterday's papers, they do have the whole Ward Melville - Niskayuna semifinal game up on News12varsity.com
Game replay: Ward Melville 18, Niskayuna 2 - NYSPHSAA 'A' boys lacrosse semifinal

They also have the LI championship against Massapequa.

WM also jacked West Genny last year 15-2 for the state title. It was a senior laden team, but I assume this kid can probably play. I'd rather take chances on these kids than some UA from timbucktoo.

WM also jacked West Genny last year 15-2 for the state title. It was a senior laden team, but I assume this kid can probably play. I'd rather take chances on these kids than some UA from timbucktoo.

Unless I read Woody's post wrong it seems like hes the starting FOGO this year and plays midfield.

Unless I read Woody's post wrong it seems like hes the starting FOGO this year and plays midfield.

I believe it. Melville had like 22 some seniors last year so I assume minutes were hard to come by even for their future underclass stars. LI is jammed packed with talent right now.

Aviles is 8-0 for 8pts through 5 games. Melville is 5-0

I was just coming here to post that Aviles is getting some twitter love. In the WM loss to Haverford, the WM coaches drew up a play for Aviles to start with the ball in his stick in the last 6 seconds. WM also has Pallonetti, a top 10 ranked recruit committed to UMD. Aviles is fast and athletic. I don't think he translates to an offensive middie, but I wouldn't be suprised now if he found time somewhere on the field.

To quote an absolutely terrible commentator for a UNC game I saw a couple years back: "WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN?!" The guy seems to be making noise out of nowhere.

WM is a program. The kid looks very fast with good vision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom