Class of 2024 - New Commit: Brett Bucktooth Jr (NY: Lafayette / WMA), Attack | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 New Commit: Brett Bucktooth Jr (NY: Lafayette / WMA), Attack

From the LAXBucket tweet:

He is coming off a sophomore spring in which he put up 48 goals and 19 assists to help LaFayette-Onondaga (N.Y.) to a Section III title.

But the Post-Standard has him listed as a Junior last year.

And Inside Lacrosse has him as a 2023.

Beats the heck outta me.
I would bet my whole Crypto portfolio that he is a senior at Lafayette who will be doing another year somewhere. No chance he can compete with current crop of 2023s committed to Syracuse

I would bet my whole Crypto portfolio that he is a senior at Lafayette who will be doing another year somewhere. No chance he can compete with current crop of 2023s committed to Syracuse
“No chance” but a year somewhere else and suddenly he’s a viable recruit? He’s good now. That’s why they offered him.

“No chance” but a year somewhere else and suddenly he’s a viable recruit? He’s good now. That’s why they offered him.

Listen, I'm excited he's coming to Syracuse but I'm also very realistic. Lafayette does not play an even remotely difficult NYS public school schedule. He's never played for a remotely competitive club lacrosse program. Redhawks JRB program in the First Nations League is great, but its not JR A in Ontario like where Jamieson and Trey play. There is work to be done. He needs the additional year. It's pretty simple.

Listen, I'm excited he's coming to Syracuse but I'm also very realistic. Lafayette does not play an even remotely difficult NYS public school schedule. He's never played for a remotely competitive club lacrosse program. Redhawks JRB program in the First Nations League is great, but its not JR A in Ontario like where Jamieson and Trey play. There is work to be done. He needs the additional year. It's pretty simple.
It seems like you are acting like there is no such thing as bringing a recruit who is raw in certain areas. Yes the prep/travel scene is taking over but there are still guys who are recruited because their best days are ahead of them. Yes there would be benefits from the route you suggest, but wouldn't there also be benefits for him coming aboard in 2023 and getting that year of progress practicing with a D1 team? There are still guys from non- hot bed areas who get recruited based on raw potential and end up excelling. Brett certainly has a D1 ACC sized frame (lot's to like about Jameson but I would not say the same about him) and D1 genes. I would bet my 0.00$ in crypto that he has an impact here whether or not he goes to a Salisbury type place next year.

It seems like you are acting like there is no such thing as bringing a recruit who is raw in certain areas. Yes the prep/travel scene is taking over but there are still guys who are recruited because their best days are ahead of them. Yes there would be benefits from the route you suggest, but wouldn't there also be benefits for him coming aboard in 2023 and getting that year of progress practicing with a D1 team? There are still guys from non- hot bed areas who get recruited based on raw potential and end up excelling. Brett certainly has a D1 ACC sized frame (lot's to like about Jameson but I would not say the same about him) and D1 genes. I would bet my 0.00$ in crypto that he has an impact here whether or not he goes to a Salisbury type place next year.
The prep route isn't the only route, your right (although, it was for his Dad FWIW).

I would love to see him do the prep route especially for him because it's a year of high level HS lacrosse with a coach who is there, pretty much, to coach lacrosse full-time. And then, he gets the benefits of practicing with a D1 team as a 2024. He doesn't lose that year because he goes the prep route.

Gotta remember, a lot of freshmen, especially those closer the bottom of the depth chart, don't see the same level of reps or attention from coaches at the D1 level. If he goes next year and isn't with one of the first groups, he could get very easily lost in the mix.

There are plenty of examples of guys with raw talent not doing the PG route and excelling, but there are equally, if not more, examples of guys who do the PG route and thrive (i.e. Myles Jones).

The prep route isn't the only route, your right (although, it was for his Dad FWIW).

I would love to see him do the prep route especially for him because it's a year of high level HS lacrosse with a coach who is there, pretty much, to coach lacrosse full-time. And then, he gets the benefits of practicing with a D1 team as a 2024. He doesn't lose that year because he goes the prep route.

Gotta remember, a lot of freshmen, especially those closer the bottom of the depth chart, don't see the same level of reps or attention from coaches at the D1 level. If he goes next year and isn't with one of the first groups, he could get very easily lost in the mix.

There are plenty of examples of guys with raw talent not doing the PG route and excelling, but there are equally, if not more, examples of guys who do the PG route and thrive (i.e. Myles Jones).

"Class" for lacrosse isn't even a meaningful construct anymore. With the '22s, Zanders actually posted the ages of the 5-star kids. Most stepped on campus this fall as old as the average sophomore.

If some prep school will give him a ride for a PG or reclass year, he should definitely take it.

I remember playing these kids from Lafayette in high school. Kids were always built like brick house. I was a football player playing defense, I always left those matchups sore as a mofo. Excited to see how this kid progresses
Other aspects of the game would vary, but Lafayette kids could shoot 85 mph by the time they hit 7th grade. City kids who never picked up any sort of farm equipment didn't stand a chance.

Other aspects of the game would vary, but Lafayette kids could shoot 85 mph by the time they hit 7th grade. City kids who never picked up any sort of farm equipment didn't stand a chance.
Agreed, grew up in the burbs, we always had good games but they were physical.

Bucktooth Jr. does the Joey Spallina (/Miles Thompson/John Grant Jr.) at 42:40 in this. Good luck preventing him from getting to that spot!

Bucktooth Jr. does the Joey Spallina (/Miles Thompson/John Grant Jr.) at 42:40 in this. Good luck preventing him from getting to that spot!
And a really nice long distance assist at 1:08:50

Bucktooth and his family ultimately decided on Wilbraham & Monson Academy, thanks in part to familiarity the family had with head coach Mike MacDonald, a Henninger High School graduate who played at Syracuse University with Brett’s father.

Bucktooth and his family ultimately decided on Wilbraham & Monson Academy, thanks in part to familiarity the family had with head coach Mike MacDonald, a Henninger High School graduate who played at Syracuse University with Brett’s father.

Water Polo is a barbaric sport.

Making those poor horses tread water all game long.