Class of 2018 - New Commit: Jacob Walthour (NJ) LSM Signed | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 New Commit: Jacob Walthour (NJ) LSM Signed

WoodyUK

Lax Maven
10552616_635316316594428_6705197871014207334_n.jpg

New 2018 commit Jacob Walthour LSM, Columbia HS NJ. Plays for Sweetlax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8mF1w_-lqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDd4hNdPvkc

10211.jpg http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/maverik-showtime-15-all-stars-who-impressed-class-notes/29153

Jacob Walthour, LSM, Salisbury (Conn.) - I really liked watching Walthour over the course of the four-day camp, as he continued to get better and more comfortable. An athletic pole with a lot of potential, he was often disruptive and around the ball all of the time making things happening, getting the ball upfield to his offense. Once he polishes up his game a tad off-ball, he’ll be a premier player who would be great for a school like a Patriot or Ivy League institution.

Once he polishes up his game a tad off-ball, he’ll be a premier player who would be great for a school like a Patriot or Ivy League institution.
Hey - HEY! Did we switch leagues???

;)

Casey Vock ‏@cvock
Jacob Walthour, LSM/D, Salisbury School (Conn.)/@Sweetlax_Lax 2018 has committed to Syracuse. Agile, fast defender had a great fall/winter.

Ty Xanders @tyxanders ·
A transfer to Columbia (N.J.) from Salisbury (Conn.), @Sweetlax_Lax 2018 longstick middie Jacob Walthour has decided on 'Cuse. Stud athlete. Walthour decided on the Orange over Carolina, JHU and others. Had a great fall after making July's Maverik Showtime ASG before re-classing.

SweetLax @Sweetlax_Lax ·
Sweetlax 2018 LSM Jacob Walthour Columbia HS NJ committed to Syracuse Jacob he is the 8th D1 commit in the 2018 class

Great pickup, always good to get great athletes and this kid seems like one of them.

http://recruitingrundown.com/2014/11/24/standouts-from-nxts-philly-freshman-showcase/

Jacob Walthour, LSM, Salisbury (Conn.) / SweetLaxA re-class after standing out in the 2017 All-Star Game at Maverik Showtime this summer, Walthour is without a doubt one of the top longstick midfield products in this class. He’s an excellent athlete who roams the field and hunts down his man before putting the ball on the ground, pushing transition when the opportunity arises. Game is mistake-free for the most part, also doing a good job 1-on-1 from all spots on the field.

He's pretty close to where I live in NJ... our current HS coach used to be the head coach at Columbia.

http://recruitingrundown.com/2015/01/15/recapping-the-last-six-weeks-2018-verbals/

SweetLax’s Jacob Walthour (LSM – Columbia, N.J.) to Syracuse

Making and impressing at Maverik Showtime’s 2017 All-Star Game, transferring from Salisbury School (Conn.) to his local high school and re-classing, Walthour completed a busy few months when he committed to the Syracuse Orange on January 7th. His connections to SU are plentiful, as he trains extensively with former ‘Cuse All-American defenseman John Lade (Rochester Rattlers) in addition to the fact that Jacob’s older sister is a student there. He also looked hard at schools like North Carolina and Johns Hopkins, but ultimately felt that John Desko’s program was where he wanted to be.

“When I started playing lacrosse five years ago, I had a dream of playing for Syracuse,” Walthour, who has also played with LI Sting this past summer, says of his decision. “I like to win and they have had a really strong winning tradition – every year they seem to have a chance to win another title.”

A member of SweetLax who took a giant step forward this fall, especially at the Philly Freshman Showcase, Walthour throws awesome takeaway checks and is an athlete capable of making things happen in transition. It’s more than clear that through working with Lade, he’s drastically improved his cover skills, somewhat of a weak point when I watched him in July. If he continues his upward trajectory, Walthour can certainly become a Top 50 player in the class, though the work begins now.

“My parents have reminded me that this [commitment] is a blessing, but it can be a curse, like the cover of Sports Illustrated,” Walthour said in an e-mail interview this month. “I can already see friends and players treating me differently, I wish this were not the case but I have to be mature and deal with it. On the field, I want coaches and kids to challenge me! It makes me better.”

Since its inception a handful of years ago, Maverik Showtime – set at Western Connecticut State in Danbury (CT) – has acted as the nation’s premier individual showcase for rising lacrosse prospects in the rising sophomore and junior classes . Players work through three games a day in hopes of making the All-Star Game, which can be considered as one of the biggest honors of the summer.

This year’s event has been off the charts, featuring close to 100 Division I commits between the two age groups. Coaches and evaluators spent close to an hour coming up with this list, coming up with painstaking decisions. Without further ado, here are the four rosters:

http://recruitingrundown.com/2015/07/08/2017-and-2018-rosters-for-maverik-showtime-all-star-games/

Jacob Walthour ’18, D, Columbia (N.J.)
Walthour is a big, athletic pole that handles very well and always makes the smart play in transition. From what I’ve seen, he never pushed to the goal for a low percentage play in the clearing game, but used his legs and athleticism to beat attackmen and find found an open teammate. On defense, he is constantly on the opposition’s hands, slides hard and looks to double the ball to cause turnovers. Even when the offense was man-up, the Cuse’ commit pressed out and flustered his opponent. Despite having great athleticism and potential, I think once he polishes his footwork and plays more defense with positioning and his body then he will be elite.

Maverik Showtime’s Most Impressive Players In The Classes Of 2018 And 2019, Part 1

Jacob Walthour, LSM, Columbia H.S., Syracuse
The athletic pole has stick skills that fall more on the fundamentally sound rather than flashy end of the spectrum, but don't let that fool you. Defenses would be wise to respect Walthour as an offensive threat as much as they would most shortsticks or he will end up with a pair of goals, like he had Friday evening.

IL Epoch Committed Academy: Future College Stars Who Stood Out

The ACC and B1G defensive talent is top-notch

The ACC and the B1G teams came into the Committed Academy as favorites, largely due to the upside of their offensive players, but top to bottom, the quality of those teams’ defensive players compared to others was hard to top. Both conferences were littered with longpoles whose athleticism, knowledge, and skillset were nearly unparalleled.

The only other conference to come close was perhaps the Ivy League.

It showed in the results. Neither ACC team gave up double-digit goals, and both B1G teams gave up just 6.8 goals per game. Paul Steel (Johns Hopkins), Jack Kielty (Notre Dame), Carson Cochran (Rutgers), Jacob Walthour (Syracuse), and Arden Cohen (Notre Dame) had notable tournaments.

Notre Dame’s, Syracuse’s 2017 groups are impressive

Notre Dame had the most commits of any school on the ACC 2017 roster with eight, and players like Arden Cohen, Michael Drake, Connor Morin, John Ryan Hallenbeck, Jake Frane, and Matthew Schmidt were key contributors on a squad that won every game at the ILCA before falling in the championship.

Syracuse’s group also impressed. Owen Seebold had a fantastic tournament, finishing with seven goals. Jacob Walthour was a dangerous LSM in transition, finishing with two goals, while Lucas Quinn saved his best performance for the championship game, where he scored two goals and two assists in a loss to the Big East.

IL Epoch Committed Academy: Takeaways, Surprises and More