Class of 2018 - New Commit: Jerry Staats (ON / OCC) Defense | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 New Commit: Jerry Staats (ON / OCC) Defense

One Staats down, one to go. ;)

With any luck we will be hearing about that by June/July, but I wouldn't be suprised if took unitl SU started classes again in August for him to make a decision.

Probably a stupid question here but the original thread says 2019 but the caption says next year. Will he be going to Cuse in the fall of 2018 or 2019?

Probably a stupid question here but the original thread says 2019 but the caption says next year. Will he be going to Cuse in the fall of 2018 or 2019?

2019, hes only a freshman at OCC.

I've been reading about this kid in write-ups/recaps since he was 14. Standout in summer OLA Box Lax, for the Iroquois U-19's, & at Hill Academy where he routinely shut down some of the best prep offensive players in the nation, as they play a national schedule. Going to Hill, I wouldn't be surprised if their post is correct & he has the grades to transfer after only a year at OCC. Big time pickup.

From an August 2013 event...Staats is listed as a 2015 here.

Canadian Field Championships | 3d Rising

Jerry Staats 2015

Six Nations

Position: Defense

Sub Position: Off Ball

Growing up in the box and playing defense with a short stick, and then suddenly being handed a stick twice as long to tear apart offenses, can be a difficult transition for some. Not for Jerry Staats. Jerry uses his smarts as well as his stick to make himself a terror to be reckoned with on defense. Jerry was very intelligent as when to double. Whenever a dodger was slowed down and ready to roll back, Jerry got a stick up in the passing lane and picked a number of roll back passes off. In transition Jerry was totally comfortable with the ball. Throwing fakes and drawing defenders to create odd man situations, Jerry made himself a threat and had the shooter-first mentality if no one picked him up. This is going to be a player to watch in the next year.

Have seen him play a bunch of times (box, U19s and OCC) - he's a really solid player. Great footwork and plays great team defense - always looking for the double and knows when to make the slide off ball. Would be great if he comes next year with 3 years of eligibility - backs up Bomberry and Fusco for a year then slides right in as a two year starter. I think he did a PG year at Hill so couple that with a year at OCC and it would be hard to imagine him red shirting next year - his 2016 recruiting profile has him listed as age 20 which would put him around 22 now. Plus that a lot of school for anyone not graduating with a MD degree. Great pick up for Desko.

He will probably float between pole and close not saying he is a starter right away but he will be on the field he is rangy has great hands great on ground balls and knows how to run on a break. In all honsety wouldn’t be scared to put a short stick in his hand either which is what I thought they should of done with Tyson his freshman year. I think SU’s weight program will benefit him .

He will probably float between pole and close not saying he is a starter right away but he will be on the field he is rangy has great hands great on ground balls and knows how to run on a break. In all honsety wouldn’t be scared to put a short stick in his hand either which is what I thought they should of done with Tyson his freshman year. I think SU’s weight program will benefit him .
Please, ssdm is not a position that Tyson can remotely play. 18 class has some decent poles coming in, better to walk before running ala Pinnery

Please, ssdm is not a position that Tyson can remotely play. 18 class has some decent poles coming in, better to walk before running ala Pinnery
Really he plays SSDM all summer long against some pretty amazing talent his mobility was never an issue until he got hurt against Albany

I think he primarily plays man down next year and subs in for the starters from time to time. I would love to see him play some LSM as I think his game is suited to playing in space, but seems to be a log jam there and you can't keep a healthy Fernandez off the field.

The best thing he has going for him is that even though he played against sub par competition, he practiced all year against high level D1 attackmen so the speed of the game shouldn't surprise him.

I'll also be interested to see if Barlow can get on the field next year. Kid is another really good athlete.

1AC896B5-263E-4FCB-BC7D-F1283450F5EC.jpeg

We know this team can score goals. Can they win face offs? No Jeremy Thompson. Will Vaughn Harris be their main face off guy? If they can't win face offs, they will be fighting for bronze again.

Not sure this team has any shot against the US or Canada. Per usual, defense & FOs will be their downfall. I just hope they don’t use the hickory wood sticks again like they did in 2014. I’m all for tradition & have the utmost respect for the Native American culture & the game’s roots but, IMO, the hickory sticks have absolutely no place in the modern field game & are a danger & injury risk. The way the Iroquois defenders started “hacking” opposing players with them out of frustration 4 years ago was an atrocity & put a bit of a black cloud over the games.

Their offensive personal are incredible, its crazy. Not sure there is much playing time for Brendan Bomber.

Their offensive personal are incredible, its crazy. Not sure there is much playing time for Brendan Bomber.
The middies are fairly pedestrian and beyond Lyle Thompson, I wouldn’t say anyone is incredible. Maybe Tehoka, Randy and Miles are really good. But are you concerned about Frankie Brown if they put a pole on him? He was pretty good at Hobart, but he doesn’t strike a ton of fear.

Some of those attackmen will be playing middie. Randy Staats, Tehoka and Miles Thompson won't all be playing attack at the same time.

Some of those attackmen will be playing middie. Randy Staats, Tehoka and Miles Thompson won't all be playing attack at the same time.

I could see Miles playing Middie and maybe Staats but Tehoka has little chance of playing middie against Canada or the US. He struggled with stamina at attack this year, I can't see him going up and down at middie.

Come down to the U.S.A and Canadian teams as usual.

Saw this Wiki tidbit on Australian lacrosse:
"In 1907 Australia's first international lacrosse match against Canada was played at the MCG before a crowd of 30,000"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom