Class of 2020 - New Commit: Marshall McGuire (OR) Mid | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 New Commit: Marshall McGuire (OR) Mid

Standouts From The Inaugural Maverik Showtime For Rising Freshmen

Marshall McGuire, M, Lake Oswego (Ore.)
McGuire snagged Midfield MVP honors to represent the West Coast, building more and more confidence and consistency as the week went on. There are aspects of his game like his shot mechanics that are definitely raw, but his 6’2, 175-pound frame is impressive and his athleticism is intriguing. The Oregon product kept chugging along through the week and when everybody else was tired, McGuire was still posting points during the final two sessions.

Same hometown as Eric Dungey.

Thank you for pointing that out. I spent about 10 agonizing second as I scrolled this thread trying to figure out the connection between Lake Oswego and Syracuse. Knew there was one somewhere.

Would love to see this kid grow about another 4 inches, could be a Myles Jones type player. I know competition isn't great, but his skill level looks to be very good, good speed, and a hard shot.

From July...

Maverik Showtime 2020: Standouts, Photos, More | 3d Rising

Marshall McGuire, Midfield, Lake Oswego (Ore.)/Rhino Lacrosse

McGuire stood out immediately for his big, tall frame with long legs and apparent athleticism. The 6-foot-2, 175 pounder walked right over to the sideline wearing some of the shortest shorts at the camp and stared at the college coaches sizing him up from just a few away with sort of bizarre and sassy attitude that was a prelude of what was to come – a breakout performance. Running up the field in his first game, it was clear he was one of the more developed midfielders and we watched him go from a different maker in the middle of the field in the first game, to a downright dominant athletic presence from back to front. This right-handed horse showed incredible stamina in blitzing up and down the field all day each day of the camp and still looking limber and nimble at the end, still hammering shots on the run with increasing accuracy. Able to sweep and dodge hard down hill using his long arms and strong frame to his advantage, he showed more powerful and assertive takes to the cage. Still raw with the stick, McGuire was still able to put together a few excellent dodges from the midfield that would be impressive for a midfielder hailing from anywhere, let alone Oregon. That’s how he was starting to put it all together in the end of the camp. He scored three or four times in the second to last game, which was when we gave the first vote for him to be the event’s most outstanding midfielder (he got it). McGuire scored on a roll back, going to his left to hammer the ball on the run. He took the ball away on the ride and barreled down the gut to score overhand. He scored on an acrobatic spinning jump shot, stinging the top shelf. And he looked like he barely broke a sweat. His height and his legs made him an instant threat in transition and he showed a willingness to move the ball, and he put mustard on it. This exciting prospect also shot somewhere around 95 miles an hour in the shoot around during one of the breaks. He screams out multi-sport athlete and came to the came by way of the guy Ryan Powell.

From July...

Maverik Showtime 2020: Standouts, Photos, More | 3d Rising

Marshall McGuire, Midfield, Lake Oswego (Ore.)/Rhino Lacrosse

McGuire stood out immediately for his big, tall frame with long legs and apparent athleticism. The 6-foot-2, 175 pounder walked right over to the sideline wearing some of the shortest shorts at the camp and stared at the college coaches sizing him up from just a few away with sort of bizarre and sassy attitude that was a prelude of what was to come – a breakout performance. Running up the field in his first game, it was clear he was one of the more developed midfielders and we watched him go from a different maker in the middle of the field in the first game, to a downright dominant athletic presence from back to front. This right-handed horse showed incredible stamina in blitzing up and down the field all day each day of the camp and still looking limber and nimble at the end, still hammering shots on the run with increasing accuracy. Able to sweep and dodge hard down hill using his long arms and strong frame to his advantage, he showed more powerful and assertive takes to the cage. Still raw with the stick, McGuire was still able to put together a few excellent dodges from the midfield that would be impressive for a midfielder hailing from anywhere, let alone Oregon. That’s how he was starting to put it all together in the end of the camp. He scored three or four times in the second to last game, which was when we gave the first vote for him to be the event’s most outstanding midfielder (he got it). McGuire scored on a roll back, going to his left to hammer the ball on the run. He took the ball away on the ride and barreled down the gut to score overhand. He scored on an acrobatic spinning jump shot, stinging the top shelf. And he looked like he barely broke a sweat. His height and his legs made him an instant threat in transition and he showed a willingness to move the ball, and he put mustard on it. This exciting prospect also shot somewhere around 95 miles an hour in the shoot around during one of the breaks. He screams out multi-sport athlete and came to the came by way of the guy Ryan Powell.
Sassy!

mcguire football.jpg

Oregon State Champ in football

Let's hope they stay on the Orange path and dont have wandering eyes within the next four months. McGuire I think could be a very good M/SSDM for us at some point. Watched some of his HS games on youtube and he's huge--like a tree trunk. Rarely gets beat, really good ball control/stick skills, very physical and isn't afraid to bulldoze people over. I would keep an eye out for the the talent being produced in Oregon right now. There are some incredible players going unnoticed.

View attachment 167772

Let's hope they stay on the Orange path and dont have wandering eyes within the next four months. McGuire I think could be a very good M/SSDM for us at some point. Watched some of his HS games on youtube and he's huge--like a tree trunk. Rarely gets beat, really good ball control/stick skills, very physical and isn't afraid to bulldoze people over. I would keep an eye out for the the talent being produced in Oregon right now. There are some incredible players going unnoticed.

Think these guys are solid of course now that I just said that.... McGuire has been flying under the radar a bit, the last of the early recruiting guys. Heard good things around his original commitment but not a ton since then.

Think these guys are solid of course now that I just said that... McGuire has been flying under the radar a bit, the last of the early recruiting guys. Heard good things around his original commitment but not a ton since then.
Yeah I figured as much. I feel like when he originally first committed the talent he was facing wasn't all that great, but over the last few years the talent has caught up with him and his numbers dropped offensively. Still a solid player imho. :p

Oregon state champion football and lacrosse his year junior. Could be a solid two way guy.

"The Lakers won their first-ever Oregon High School Lacrosse Association state championship in the 2019 spring season... Lake Oswego, junior midfielder Marshall McGuire (49 goals, 37 assists, 46 ground balls) was named first-team all-league, first-team all-state and an All-American. "Marshall had to do everything for his team this year — he played defense, offense and took wings on faceoffs," said Lake Oswego assistant coach Michael Marcott. "At the tail end of the season, Marshall never came off the field and made an impact on every facet of the game. Marshall is a fearless competitor and showed a tremendous amount of grit"
  • Pamplin media 6.17.2019

Oregon state champion football and lacrosse his year junior. Could be a solid two way guy.

"The Lakers won their first-ever Oregon High School Lacrosse Association state championship in the 2019 spring season... Lake Oswego, junior midfielder Marshall McGuire (49 goals, 37 assists, 46 ground balls) was named first-team all-league, first-team all-state and an All-American. "Marshall had to do everything for his team this year — he played defense, offense and took wings on faceoffs," said Lake Oswego assistant coach Michael Marcott. "At the tail end of the season, Marshall never came off the field and made an impact on every facet of the game. Marshall is a fearless competitor and showed a tremendous amount of grit"
  • Pamplin media 6.17.2019
Thanks for that. Looked, but couldn't find his stats for this past season. I didn't realize he had that many goals/assists. I only watched his last two games of his season. I'm obviously no lacrosse guru but judging from the couple games I've seen he played well off the wing and in the midfield. If I can remember correctly, the game against Lakeridge was insane. They were down by like 8 goals and managed to comeback and win it in OT. His only goal in that game was the OT winner and I believe he had an assist as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom