Class of 2019 - Sean Derby (NY) D | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Sean Derby (NY) D

Hey guys, I saw Sean was committed to Cuse on the Epoch Inside Lacrosse Rosters. I don't remember hearing his name previously. Apparently he used to be committed to Army

Sean Derby's Inside Lacrosse recruiting profile

Nice pick up, don't know a ton about him but based on him being previously committed to Army that says a lot. I would assume that he may have had second thoughts about going to Army prep for a year and maybe the Army itself and de-committed. Derby and Wood are two real nice late pickups for the 2019 class.

IL Committed Academy rosters. That's official enough.

image.jpeg

Nice pickup from a top notch HS program. Add another horse to our growing stable of pole commits. ;)

Nice pickup from a top notch HS program. Add another horse to our growing stable of pole commits. ;)
Derby sounds Irish. But maybe they shortened it from Derbowski or something.

yea but with the first name Sean odds on Irish get higher.

Polish all the way, Sean is short for Stanislaw. Derby is the Anglicized form of Wojciechowski.

I think Ed Warszycki, who didn't play much for SU, was the last St. Anthony's player to play at SU was back in '06. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And yes, feels like its a great sign that he was once committed to Army as well. Not much else written up about him. Defense seems good for the next few years with some talented youngsters, but remains to be seen who will take over the alpha role after Mellen graduates.

I think Ed Warszycki, who didn't play much for SU, was the last St. Anthony's player to play at SU was back in '06. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And yes, feels like its a great sign that he was once committed to Army as well. Not much else written up about him. Defense seems good for the next few years with some talented youngsters, but remains to be seen who will take over the alpha role after Mellen graduates.

I think your probably right unless there was a player who slipped in who was a back up were not recalling. Obviously based on the loss of two attackmen in the 19 and 20 class I was hoping for another offensive player but Wood was added previously and I am hopeful there are 1-2 more offensive players for the 2020 class including Dearth's brother who I wish we would lock up.

As for the next lockdown defender, I suspect Kennedy will bump down to close next year no matter what and take that mantle. Makes way to much sense.

I dont think he played for St. Anthony's this season. Looks like he went to Seaford. I know nothing about Long Island, so that's the limit of my insight.

Began at St Ants but graduated from weakest Seaford in Sect 8

59 on roster now after accounting for departs n arrivals. UVA, Duke, ND all 44- 50 , aware numbers deter some recruits n hs coaches recommending

Really really like Dearth 's tape, looks just like his talented bro. Wood is interesting, game somewhat reminiscent of Solomon with ball fakes and feistiness.

Agree that Kennedy is likely to drop to close next year, see him as a Van Raaphorst there

Mellen takes on larger role this year with two vets gone , top notch m2m but has to lead communication on back end ( which Bomberry did last two year ) and need slides from him to help the newbies.

What about Jerry Staats, will he be in the picture?

Almost definitely. I remember that the guy who was giving play by play of our fall scrimmages last year was calling his number quite a bit, even said he was playing consistently on man down. This was before his injury of course so it depends a lot on his health.

Man down has to be rebuilt since grads Fusco, Bomberry and Cunnigham were constants on it. Mellen and Helmer are the m.d. returnees and DiPietro was on the 18' man down unit.

He was committed to Army, then Dartmouth, ended up at Cuse and is now heading to Stony Brook. This has to have been tough on him. Wish him and his family the best.

He was committed to Army, then Dartmouth, ended up at Cuse and is now heading to Stony Brook. This has to have been tough on him. Wish him and his family the best.

Agreed, wish the kid the best.

20+ kids in the transfer portal after 1 and half months of school? Does that seem high? Fall Ball isn't even over for a lot of schools. If you get on campus and it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right so I doubt we keep seeing that kind of growth, but that seems like a lot of kids.

20+ kids in the transfer portal after 1 and half months of school? Does that seem high? Fall Ball isn't even over for a lot of schools. If you get on campus and it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right so I doubt we keep seeing that kind of growth, but that seems like a lot of kids.

It probably feels that high because the number is trackable now under the portal. If you look at all the D1 schools or even beyond that if it counts D2 etc that doesn't seem like a crazy number. Think of your freshmen year in college and how may people only lasted one semester for whatever reason. More then you think.

1 month in and kids get a good look at what they're up against and maybe realize playing time is going to be hard to come by. Once you're in the portal schools can contact you so you'll get a good idea of what level and where you can play.

Every kid thinks they can play D1 and then every kid thinks they can play D1 at a National Power.