Class of 2018 - Tanner Wood (CT) Mid Flipped to Hobart | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Tanner Wood (CT) Mid Flipped to Hobart

Thanks, Joyce!

So I just got off the phone with my brother and was able to hear about their meeting with the coaches today. This was the third time Tanner has been up there - there were two prospect camps that he and his Dad went to and then this past weekend the entire family made the trip up for the Cornell game.

First and foremost, let me just say that one of the greatest parts of being privy to all of this has been how much Tanner has "clicked" with the coaching staff. He absolutely loves the coaches and I can't stress how much that increased his desire to play for Syracuse. After the first camp, Tanner came home and basically said "I get it" in terms of the passion that alumni (such as Uncle Faegan) have for Syracuse. It confirmed what he has felt about Syracuse for a long time. He is truly a student of the game and knows and loves Syracuse Lacrosse history. He has studied all of the Syracuse greats from the past right up through the present and cannot wait to be a part of extending the tradition. His work ethic is unbelievable, and my brother has talked for years about how much he studies film when he could be doing so many other things. Bear in mind he is still a sophomore in high school.

It's so funny how the SyracuseFan.com community plays out. I remember finding it when I lived in Colorado in 1996, and first following Joyce, sutomcat, rrlbees and others that still post, and others that no longer are around. Fast forward almost 20 years later and to have this all happening and to be able to enjoy this with Joyce and everyone else that I've met over the years here is so much fun. Will look forward to sharing more as this develops!

Last edited:
Congrats Faegan, you ,must be really proud! wish him all the best from me! glad he gets it!

Thanks, Woody! Will do. Yes, everyone is very proud of how hard he has worked. Tanner has been unbelievably focused on this for the past several years, so everyone is also relieved that this has played out the way it has. We all wanted him to be Orange - me for obvious reasons - but everyone else because he wanted so badly to be apart of the tradition, to have access to the amazing facilities and, as I said, play for this staff. That being said, I think his parents were trying to encourage him to reach out to other marquis schools just in case it didn't work out for whatever reason. Tanner, however, was already bleeding Orange and kept his focus on SU from start to finish.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Also, let me know if anyone has any questions. I'll be happy to answer anything I can!

Super exciting for you Faegan Glad to have your nephew and family as Orange fans! Look forward to following his career and seeing how he develops over the next few years.

One question, is he already 6'1? Thats a big HS soph! :)

Super exciting for you Faegan Glad to have your nephew and family as Orange fans! Look forward to following his career and seeing how he develops over the next few years.

One question, is he already 6'1? Thats a big HS soph! :)

Thanks!

My brother said he's grown in the last month, so he is at least 6'1 at this point. Yes - he is tall for someone not quite 16. The tall gene is floating around my family - even if it skipped me! My brother is probably about 5'11 or so. My dad was 6'3 when he was young, and he had a brother that was 6'9 or 6'10. (Tanner does not project to be THAT tall!)

Thanks, Joyce!

So I just got off the phone with my brother and was able to hear about their meeting with the coaches today. This was the third time Tanner has been up there - there were two prospect camps that he and his Dad went to and then this past weekend the entire family made the trip up for the Cornell game.

First and foremost, let me just say that one of the greatest parts of being privy to all of this has been how much Tanner has "clicked" with the coaching staff. He absolutely loves the coaches and I can't stress how much that increased his desire to play for Syracuse. After the first camp, Tanner came home and basically said "I get it" in terms of the passion that alumni (such as Uncle Faegan) have for Syracuse. It confirmed what he has felt about Syracuse for a long time. He is truly a student of the game and knows and loves Syracuse Lacrosse history. He has studied all of the Syracuse greats from the past right up through the present and cannot wait to be a part of extending the tradition. His work ethic is unbelievable, and my brother has talked for years about how much he studies film when he could be doing so many other things. Bear in mind he is still a sophomore in high school.

It's so funny how the SyracuseFan.com community plays out. I remember finding it when I lived in Colorado in 1996, and first following Joyce, sutomcat, rrlbees and others that still post, and others that no longer are around. Fast forward almost 20 years later and to have this all happening and to be able to enjoy this with Joyce and everyone else that I've met over the years here is so much fun. Will look forward to sharing more as this develops!
How awesome is this? Congrats Faegan. I look forward to rooting for Tanner, who will undoubtedly become my favorite Orangeman on the team during the course of his career.

His highlights are really impressive.

How awesome is this? Congrats Faegan. I look forward to rooting for Tanner, who will undoubtedly become my favorite Orangeman on the team during the course of his career.

His highlights are really impressive.

Thanks, Tom! The recruiting process was a bit harrowing but once he committed it has been a ton of fun - I'm pretty sure I'm enjoying this every bit as much as Tanner is! The only hard part is waiting another 2.5 years before he'll have the opportunity to hit the field. Thanks again for your kind words!

Clips of Tanner's highlights in a Lacrosse Network/Thompson Brothers/Nike commercial at around the 1:05 mark:

Faegan, I want to be sitting near you in the stands when he suits up for SU the first time ... beers for the section, baby. ;)

Faegan, I want to be sitting near you in the stands when he suits up for SU the first time ... beers for the section, baby. ;)

Done! It seems like so long from now, but I can't wait!

I just heard about Tanner today when my wife ran into his mom and was told. I live in Westport and coached Tanner as a 6 year-old in little league. Great kid, great parents. So happy to hear this! I'll be cheering Tanner on loudly as a proud alum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom