Class of 2020 - New Commit: Tommy Drago (NJ) Defense | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 New Commit: Tommy Drago (NJ) Defense

Tommy Drago ’20, LSM, West Essex Regional (N.J.) / BBL EliteDrago was a terror at the camp, a playmaking LSM for his tournament team and then playing off the face-off wing in the all-star game, where he turned heads with a vicious ‘helicopter’ yard sale check for a caused turnover. He finished with four in the all-star game, earning defensive MVP honors. He displayed athleticism in the transition game and overwhelmed an opponent more than once in the camp playing on-ball. Impressed with his hustle as well.

Recruiting Evaluations: Rising Juniors, Sophomores at Maverik Showtime

2FD5B40F-CD16-456E-9147-0C756D9DF6F4.jpeg

good pick up, i like to see it. Two very good pole commitments over the last two weeks. Now Desko needs to go out and find a replacement for Parlette.

A while ago in another thread (can't remember which one) I wrote about NJ heating up recruiting wise over the next few years in another thread... Tommy was specifically one of the kids I had in mind. My son plays for BBL also (he's younger), and there are several other kids I've watched develop over the last few years that I would expect to end up at high D1 schools in the years to come. Excellent training through BBL and they draw from all over the northern half of NJ. (Tyler Lawton is also a bbl alum.)

Listed as 5'10" typically means 5'8"

Look at the pic a few posts up... Tommy is standing next to Andrew, the founder of BBL, who is way north of 6 feet tall.

Listed as 5'10" typically means 5'8"
What is Fernandez listed at in the book? He doesn't look north of 5'8" and he showed good potential, especially on faceoffs.

What is Fernandez listed at in the book? He doesn't look north of 5'8" and he showed good potential, especially on faceoffs.

Fernandez has to be about 5'6 maybe 5'7 but man did he look good before the injury. He was a menace on the faceoff wings.

Don't forget our best defender is listed at 5'9. I like these new shorter D poles. With shorter shifty attackman you need a guy lover to the ground. Plus we have Jack Witherspoon (6'2) to partner with Drago. This class once thought to be offensive heavy now seems to be adding some nice defensive pieces.

Look at the pic a few posts up... Tommy is standing next to Andrew, the founder of BBL, who is way north of 6 feet tall.
probably 5'8"+ 2" for the jersey hair puts him at 5'10"

My kid's high school basketball team had 5'7" point guards listed at 5'11"

Don't forget our best defender is listed at 5'9. I like these new shorter D poles. With shorter shifty attackman you need a guy lover to the ground. Plus we have Jack Witherspoon (6'2) to partner with Drago. This class once thought to be offensive heavy now seems to be adding some nice defensive pieces.
You nailed it right on the head broaching Nick Mellen. His fundamentals, foot work and toughness make up for the "lack of height." I pay more attention to a defender's (regardless of stick length) lateral movement than height. I love watching Brett Kennedy and Fernandez (in his short stint); they are pests especially in open field off and on ball. In contrast, a bigger Austin Fusco hasn't jumped out to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom