New(ish) books | Syracusefan.com

New(ish) books

Pearl309

Hall of Fame
Anyone have any good book suggestions?
Need some new reading material

I have no frame of reference for what you might like, or roughly how old you are (it's relevant in this case), but if you are anywhere near my age (51), and wouldn't mind a journey steeped in 80's nostalgia, I would highly recommend Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It came out in 2011 and was recently released as a movie (from Spielberg) which was entertaining, but as per usual, nowhere near as good as the book. It has a decent story, but the numerous pop-culture references make the ride even more enjoyable than the destination. This was a little different type of book than I usually read, but I enjoyed it immensely. If you read it too, I would very much like to hear your thoughts.
Have a great day!

I have no frame of reference for what you might like, or roughly how old you are (it's relevant in this case), but if you are anywhere near my age (51), and wouldn't mind a journey steeped in 80's nostalgia, I would highly recommend Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It came out in 2011 and was recently released as a movie (from Spielberg) which was entertaining, but as per usual, nowhere near as good as the book. It has a decent story, but the numerous pop-culture references make the ride even more enjoyable than the destination. This was a little different type of book than I usually read, but I enjoyed it immensely. If you read it too, I would very much like to hear your thoughts.
Have a great day!
That’s funny you mention that, as my sister just sent me it so I will be reading it in August.
For reference I’m 35, boring and am open to pretty much anything.
I read Steve martins fiction book about the art scene in NYC recently and enjoyed it. Also just read a few war on terrorism books. So I’m open

That’s funny you mention that, as my sister just sent me it so I will be reading it in August.
For reference I’m 35, boring and am open to pretty much anything.
I read Steve martins fiction book about the art scene in NYC recently and enjoyed it. Also just read a few war on terrorism books. So I’m open

As I said, please let me know what you think. A great pick for a summer read!

This series was way, way better than it had any right to be:

Also just read a few war on terrorism books. So I’m open

Brad Thor just realeased a book this summer. I’ve been into his stuff for a few years and it’s an easy summer read. He lets his politics seep into his writing through from time to time.

I don't usually read non fiction but really enjoyed " Destiny of the Republic" by Candice Millard, about James Garfield's rise and assassination. Who knew history could be interesting? Highly recommended!

Would that be a good one for a 15 year old?
Hmm. It has some language and a little bit of, uhm, adult stuff. It's probably ok though compared to whatever he's watching on movies and TV. I'd say you may want to read it first though.

If he likes sci-fi the Red Rising series is pretty awesome and is more YA. The 5th one is coming out some time soon, so it has some mileage too.

I don't usually read non fiction but really enjoyed " Destiny of the Republic" by Candice Millard, about James Garfield's rise and assassination. Who knew history could be interesting? Highly recommended!

This sounds like something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the recommendation!

Would that be a good one for a 15 year old?
Hey just found out there's a 5th book in the series. I just downloaded it to my Kindle. I'm only a few chapters in but already it's good and holds up to the rest of the series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom