New Music find: GRETA VAN FLEET | Syracusefan.com

New Music find: GRETA VAN FLEET

Howard Stern played these guys about two weeks ago. The music is very Zepplin-esque. Somewhere, John Bonham approves.

Last edited:
You can take that approach. Here's mine: four young kids in 2017 actually MAKING music, not generating it.
Yep, step one, rock. Check. Step 2 refine and evolve. Let's see how they sound over the next couple of years.

Most blatant Zeppelin rip off band, EVER. Somehow, they do it very naturally. Interesting. This is my preferred way of listening(particularly at 2:29):

I hate to be that guy.

I am at a point where I cannot even stomach another Zeppelin song. Classic rock radio has destroyed classic rock.
I have GVF full 8 song release, and I saw them live in October. I like them better. I was never a huge zeppelin fan, and GVF songs are better, to me. Mostly I’m thrilled that 4 young men are making this kind of raw rock music, in a world full of Imagine Dragons, arctic monkeys, kinda over-produced garbage.

Besides, most zep songs are rip-offs right? Don’t they say that?

Most blatant Zeppelin rip off band, EVER. Somehow, they do it very naturally. Interesting. This is my preferred way of listening(particularly at 2:29):

I just watched this. You know this is a complete mash-up right?

If you listen to the entire album, you will hear hints of zeppelin, but a lot of songs wouldn’t be considered a rip off.

Love this cover of a Sam Cooke classic...

A Change Is Gonna Come

I just watched this. You know this is a complete mash-up right?

If you listen to the entire album, you will hear hints of zeppelin, but a lot of songs wouldn’t be considered a rip off.

Love this cover of a Sam Cooke classic...

A Change Is Gonna Come

Of course! I was shocked how they borrowed so much from Zeppelin, when I first heard them. Fully expect them to be sued, and lose. I completely disagree with the Marvin Gaye/Blurred Lines verdict, but GFV/Zep seems like a slam dunk. Here's the Gaye/Blurred:

That being said. Couldnt stand how much they stole, at first. When I started watching the Greta Van Zeppelin vids? I had sooo much fun, that I said SCREW it. They write a hell of a Zeppelin tune, and I think they're a great tribute band-that actually manages new material. For that, I respect them.

The problem isn't just that they "borrow" the sound. The vocal phrasing is nearly identical. This one steals from a few. Just looking at the first line, the phrasing/melody is nearly identical to the first line of "Hey, Hey, What can I do." And thats one of the poorer examples. If you had the master, you could easily insert Robert plant, and many of the songs wouldn't change much.

I do enjoy listening to reinterpreted Zeppelin tunes. ;-)

Last edited:
i downloaded and have been enjoying ELISE LEGROW'S covers on PLAYING CHESS

4050538337365.jpg

Definitely are a Led Zep tribute, but they’ll morph into their own style. It’s still good music. A band that actually opened for them is one to look out for. The Glorious Sons out of Kingston, ON. They are unreal live Saw them in Watertown and Cuse. Not going to wow you with extreme talent, it’s just good old fashioned rock. Here’s a good vid to start. Funny thing is that they have many different sounds and their set list varies night to night like Pearl Jam.

Definitely are a Led Zep tribute, but they’ll morph into their own style. It’s still good music. A band that actually opened for them is one to look out for. The Glorious Sons out of Kingston, ON. They are unreal live Saw them in Watertown and Cuse. Not going to wow you with extreme talent, it’s just good old fashioned rock. Here’s a good vid to start. Funny thing is that they have many different sounds and their set list varies night to night like Pearl Jam.

Gotta be the St. Lawrence, right.

They are young. They will find their own thing.
How many of us grew up copying batting stances and free throw routines?
There thing IS copping Zeppelin. Even if they get sued, and have to pay a percentage? I, for one, think they should keep doing it. They're good at it. Its why you know who they are. I normally hate when a band borrows too much. This is the one case that I welcome it.

There thing IS copping Zeppelin. Even if they get sued, and have to pay a percentage? I, for one, think they should keep doing it. They're good at it. Its why you know who they are. I normally hate when a band borrows too much. This is the one case that I welcome it.
Being influenced by, vs copying, are 2 different things.

Being influenced by, vs copying, are 2 different things.
I agree. However, there are exact phrasings, melodies etc... It goes beyond influence. It's blatant at points.
I've been a musician for 30 years, and there are definite "borrows", which is copying(the phrasing and melody). I really don't mind, because it's good. Heck. I'm glad they're doing it. I'd side with zepp in court, but I'd also want GVF to continue...

Played em for a dozen, or so, other musicians. More than half dropped their jaws, and started pointing out which song the "borrows" were from. Others shook their heads, lots of OMG's, because it was so blatant. It wasn't just that they mixed every instrument like zep, or borrowed the feel, and sound. It was for the copy's...

Folks have already lost lawsuits for copying a vibe(questionable). Copying phrasing/melody is a slam dunk.

Last edited:
Here's a columnist that heard the same thing I did:

" When Greta Van Fleet melds “Your Time Is Gonna Come” with “Ramble On” in the form of the brilliantly dippy “Flower Power,” the transfiguration of millennial boys into Led Zeppelin III is actually sort of sweet."

Flower power and Ramble on use the same 1 to 4 progression...(2 chords) Nothing wrong with that. The similar phrasing/melody is where you start hitting legal problems. And this one is less blatant than the others.

Like the author of that piece, I still like the reinterpreted zep tune. ;-)

Almost NO ONE mentions gvf without referencing zepp.

Last edited:
This is fun to listen to:

***Black Smoke Rising is 100% GVF. I'll defend them on that one. No Borrows. No copped Melodies/Phrasing. That's them, relying on influences. I'd still rather hear the Zep tributes, but it's a good place to point to, for folks that say they are nothing but a rip off band. They can go past it. The tributes are just soooo damn good. I hope they never stop those.

Last edited:
Another great young band out there is The Parlor Mob. First 2 albums were fantastic. They have a Zepplin vibe to them but not nearly as blatant as GVF.