New Orleans for Christmas | Syracusefan.com

New Orleans for Christmas

gbo

Resident Clemson Fan
Does anyone live in the area and/or familiar with restaurants for Christmas eve dinner? We are striking out with many places being closed or booked.

Does anyone live in the area and/or familiar with restaurants for Christmas eve dinner? We are striking out with many places being closed or booked.
I've been there for Christmas before and will be heading down on New Years Eve this year. If I recall, I think the majority of the main touristy places were all open on XMas eve but most of the city was closed on XMas day.

Reactions: gbo
I've been there for Christmas before and will be heading down on New Years Eve this year. If I recall, I think the majority of the main touristy places were all open on XMas eve but most of the city was closed on XMas day.
My wife told me that a good bit of the restaurants are closed xmas eve due to covid. She just found a place for us so we're good to go there...

Did you enjoy New Orleans during Christmas time?

My wife told me that a good bit of the restaurants are closed xmas eve due to covid. She just found a place for us so we're good to go there...

Did you enjoy New Orleans during Christmas time?
It's my favorite city in the country so I always enjoy it. It's colder and non-tourist time so it's a way different vibe than the majority of the year. That is a big positive for me. Being able to walk around the Quarter and Frenchman without mobs of people is ideal to me.

My highest recommendation for Christmas Eve would be to do dinner wherever you are going and then head to Bacchanal. It's my wife's favorite place in the world. Buy a bottle of wine, pick out some meats/cheeses for them to put together a charcuterie board for you and watch live jazz in the backyard. I checked their website and they are only closed on Christmas Day. Depending on the time of your dinner reservation, may actually want to start at Bacchanal and then move to dinner but I prefer it as a night cap.

Going to NO right after Kelly goes to LSU? I smell something fishy going on here.

It's my favorite city in the country so I always enjoy it. It's colder and non-tourist time so it's a way different vibe than the majority of the year. That is a big positive for me. Being able to walk around the Quarter and Frenchman without mobs of people is ideal to me.

My highest recommendation for Christmas Eve would be to do dinner wherever you are going and then head to Bacchanal. It's my wife's favorite place in the world. Buy a bottle of wine, pick out some meats/cheeses for them to put together a charcuterie board for you and watch live jazz in the backyard. I checked their website and they are only closed on Christmas Day. Depending on the time of your dinner reservation, may actually want to start at Bacchanal and then move to dinner but I prefer it as a night cap.
Thanks for the recommendation. We have an earlier dinner so the night cap would be the way to go.

Thanks for the recommendation. We have an earlier dinner so the night cap would be the way to go.
It'll be perfect. They have space heaters but it's still open air and could be chilly so may need to bundle up. Not a lot of places I'd rather be though.

Agreed Bacchanal is fantastic was in New Orleans over Thanksgiving, Bills/ Saints and a Pels game etc. City is coming back to life for sure.

Lunch spots I try to hit up when I am there: Liuzzas by the Track ( get gumbo) Parkway Bakery, and Elizabeth's.

Surf and Turf or James Brown Po Boy at Parkway, I hit it every time I am there

head over the bridge across the street from Elizabeth's. Walk in the park on the Mississippi towards the quarter. Nice walk after big brunch/ lunch

Another great spot is compere lapin, no more brunch which was great but dinner great too. Nina Compton chef.

Kind of classic NOLA restaurants that I like: Bayona, Pelican Club

chugg 21- if you are there new years eve, check out the Sugar Bowl parade, over by the quarter, ton of fun and fans from both teams and a lot of locals, lot of fun. I dream of su one day going back!!

Last edited:
Grabrielle is a great spot too. Sunday if you are looking for low key more family spot Rosedale is solid too. It's an old jail that was renovated. ( susan spicer)

Just have your Vax card ready as you will need to show it when you enter any restaurant or bar.

AND STAY OFF OF BOURBON ST, absolutely no reason to hang out there, Too many great spots to waste your time there, day or night!

Last edited:
Agreed Bacchanal is fantastic was in New Orleans over Thanksgiving, Bills/ Saints and a Pels game etc. City is coming back to life for sure.

Lunch spots I try to hit up when I am there: Liuzzas by the Track ( get gumbo) Parkway Bakery, and Elizabeth's.

Surf and Turf or James Brown Po Boy at Parkway, I hit it every time I am there

head over the bridge across the street from Elizabeth's. Walk in the park on the Mississippi towards the quarter. Nice walk after big brunch/ lunch

Another great spot is compere lapin, no more brunch which was great but dinner great too. Nina Compton chef.

Kind of classic NOLA restaurants that I like: Bayona, Pelican Club

chugg 21- if you are there new years eve, check out the Sugar Bowl parade, over by the quarter, ton of fun and fans from both teams and a lot of locals, lot of fun. I dream of su one day going back!!
I was there a couple years ago. Think it was Georgia/Texas. It's a great time to be there. My wife and I were praying A&M(she's a grad) would beat Ole Miss because it likely would have landed them there while we were in town but didn't happen. Looking like it might be Bama vs Oklahoma or Baylor which would be pretty interesting.

So how was your trip? I ended up stuck for an extra 2 days because of canceled flights back to DC due to the snowstorm.

So how was your trip? I ended up stuck for an extra 2 days because of canceled flights back to DC due to the snowstorm.
I meant to write something up but got busy with work so apologies there. Did you end up go down?

New Orleans is easily one of my favorite places I've ever visited. We spent 5 days in NO and were sad to leave. The food there is excellent. I'm not sure if I've ever been anywhere that the food is all great regardless of where you go to eat.

We went to Brennan's for an exceptional Christmas Eve dinner. I originally wrote that my wife had struck out on multiple places and this was one of them. The restaurant called us two days before we left for NO to let us know they had an opening after we were previously told no. This was after being on a several hundred person wait list since early November. We went to Luke's on Christmas Day which was also great. Another place, Tujague's, had an excellent brunch that I would highly recommend.

We had a plan in place to go to Bacchanal after dinner on your recommendation but they ended up having to close due to multiple employees contracting Covid. We were looking forward to that so we were pretty disappointed it didn't work out but safety first.

Overall excellent trip and would recommend to anyone.

I meant to write something up but got busy with work so apologies there. Did you end up go down?

New Orleans is easily one of my favorite places I've ever visited. We spent 5 days in NO and were sad to leave. The food there is excellent. I'm not sure if I've ever been anywhere that the food is all great regardless of where you go to eat.

We went to Brennan's for an exceptional Christmas Eve dinner. I originally wrote that my wife had struck out on multiple places and this was one of them. The restaurant called us two days before we left for NO to let us know they had an opening after we were previously told no. This was after being on a several hundred person wait list since early November. We went to Luke's on Christmas Day which was also great. Another place, Tujague's, had an excellent brunch that I would highly recommend.

We had a plan in place to go to Bacchanal after dinner on your recommendation but they ended up having to close due to multiple employees contracting Covid. We were looking forward to that so we were pretty disappointed it didn't work out but safety first.

Great to hear. I've been to multiple different places within the Brennan's empire. Luke is always one of my go to spots for Oyster happy hour. That stinks about Bacchanal, we spent a few hours their on NYE and had a great time. Our friends had to cancel their wedding twice and ended up giving up and just doing it at a courthouse so once we got to Bacchanal we told them it was our wedding present and let them pick out a few bottles of wine and a giant charcuterie board. Had a bit too much fun and my memory is pretty fuzzy from leaving there at 10 until the fireworks over the river.

I hope you had a nice dinner. I like this song and given the subject, needed to post a link…

New Orleans is a great place to visit. I've done it 3 times.

Couldn't live there, though. I'd be dead inside of 6 months. :oops:

We constantly talk about moving there as it's our favorite city in the country by a mile but I'm also ready to get home after 3 days. Probably be different if it was full time, don't need to gorge yourself the entire time like on a quick vacation.

Lived in New Orleans for 6 years. Your 6 month estimate is pretty accurate. Had many a friend who lasted right around the 6 month mark before they had to leave the city.

Did you get to do any dancing with Brian Kelly when you were down in the Big Easy?

We constantly talk about moving there as it's our favorite city in the country by a mile but I'm also ready to get home after 3 days. Probably be different if it was full time, don't need to gorge yourself the entire time like on a quick vacation.
I talk about moving there but my wife is not in agreement...

I talk about moving there but my wife is not in agreement...
You could take a lot more trips to NO if Tulane were in the ACC.

Heading down tonight for a long weekend. Going to try a few new restaurants and some old stand bys.

Going to hit a Bills bar down there for the game Saturday night and of course a couple days at the racetrack

Last edited:
Heading down tonight for a long weekend. Going to try a few new restaurants and some old stand bys.

Going to hit a Bills bar down there for the game Saturday night and of course a couple days at the racetrack
Fat Harry's is a solid Bills Backers bar. Smaller than most (around 30 people usually) but they block off the whole back room. Solid wings, Blue Lights and play the Shout song after scores. So that's all you can ask for.

Fat Harry's is a solid Bills Backers bar. Smaller than most (around 30 people usually) but they block off the whole back room. Solid wings, Blue Lights and play the Shout song after scores. So that's all you can ask for.

‘yeah that’s where I’m going to go

I've been there twice.

The two worst hangovers of my entire life are a direct result of those two trips.

I love it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom