New rivalry question | Syracusefan.com

New rivalry question

Cuse#1

Starter
I'm wondering who do y'all think are our rivals now and who do u think in the ACC or anywhere else has the chance to become a rival with the cuse. I think getting outta the big East to the ACC and over time it will happen. We have the obvious choices of Pitt and BC but to be honest I don't think either one of them have materialised in too much of a rivalry which is why BC or either one of them on the last game of the year for us anymore & I don't think they should be. like I said before I think Clemson have the opportunity to become a rivalry and if you keep playing games like we have the past two years I think it's inevitable and for many reasons that would be the best-case scenario but I said in a message earlier that I think maybe we should consider Rutgers as a always end-of-the-year rivalry possibly at a neutral field I don't know where but or maybe just alternating HomeAway but like I was saying I like how Florida and Georgia do it but I'm not sure if we have the fan base for that but I know there's a lot of hatred between these two teams. I know I hate them. I know we still have that 300 some odd page rutgers dumpster sucks something thread and i must say I get a kick outta it when I read it lol. Also were bordering states, fighting over alot of the same recruits in the same area so has the opportunity to turn into something I would think at least better than Boston College and pit could or are now. would like to hear other people's thoughts on that and what teams do they think. I mean you can't forget about West Virginia of course either but right now I don't look at them much of a rival anymore

I’d like to see Clemson as the new rival, but that depends on beating them and then being on par with them. Pittsburgh is more natural, but N.C. or N.C. state would be good also. Out of all I want Miami, hate them...

I hope we continue our upward trend and BC, Pitt, and Louisville become less "rivals" and more "formalities".

UNC/Duke/GaTech - not much history, won't play them enough
NC State - possible
VT/Miami - possible with our history, but don't see them enough
Wake - Should become a formality, like above
FSU - they care a lot more about Miami, but could be a medium rival of ours

Good question. Clemson is a legit choice, but do they care about us enough when they're taking down Oklahoma and Alabama in the playoff every year?

I like Pitt and BC as rivals. If we could all be 8-9 win teams at the same time it could be something.

I honestly think Clemson will get there. When we knock them out of playoff contention this year and pull to 2-2 in the last 4 years we'll feel the disdain.

I stopped reading at Clemson. You are sounding like the Rutgers fans back in the mid 00's who claimed a rivalry with us. Clemson has a rival, it's the Coots, known as Gamecocks to us Yankees. The hatred runs so deep that they wouldn't look at us like that in a million years. Our current ACC record against them is 1-5? 1-6? You want a rival? It's BC, always has been. Flames died out after they left the BE but it's coming back. Read some of the players regarding treatment by BC players at the bottoms of pile's, etc. You can forget Pitt too, decades of history and no rivalry has developed. I suppose it's because they don't have any fans but that's on them. Regardless they have WV, and the backyard brawl and all of that.

Don't forget that 2 years ago we stood at one end of the BC stadium chanting Who's House? Our House! on their home field. I can't imagine that sits well over there.

Clemson isn’t our rival.

Rutgers isn’t our rival (and that thread is embarrassing)

Boston College and Pitt are our conference rivals. WVU and PSU are our OOC rivals, but that heat has cooled due to conference schedules.

Virginia Tech was almost a rivalry, and in it would have been one in a perfect world.

Miami was a one way rivalry, but they lost their swagger, and we never play, so those games are confined to YouTube and dusty VHS takes in ESPN’s basement.

Maryland would have been our “new” ACC rival, but PSU screwed that up for us.

I personally consider Pitt/BC rivals but that’s just me. I think Clemson is a fun team to play but I don’t see it ever becoming a rivalry. If I had to pick another atlantic team I’d say NCST. I just can’t muster and positive opinions about them

Pitt and/or BC. Yawn.

WVFU had some juice.

Back in the day, we looked at PSU as a rival, but they didn't see us that way. They looked at us like we look at Rutgers. (Of course, the way everyone looks at Rutgers is justified.)

Until1987 when we b!tch-slapped them in the Dome and they took their ball and went home.

Wake? Nope.
NC State? They're nice to make fun of, but nah.
Louisville? Has possibilities.
FSU? We'll never be considered their "rivals".
Clemson? See FSU.

Rest of the ACC? I guess we'll have to play them more that 4 times every 12 years to say.
1549664673008.gif

I'm wondering who do y'all think are our rivals now and who do u think in the ACC or anywhere else has the chance to become a rival with the cuse. I think getting outta the big East to the ACC and over time it will happen. We have the obvious choices of Pitt and BC but to be honest I don't think either one of them have materialised in too much of a rivalry which is why BC or either one of them on the last game of the year for us anymore & I don't think they should be. like I said before I think Clemson have the opportunity to become a rivalry and if you keep playing games like we have the past two years I think it's inevitable and for many reasons that would be the best-case scenario but I said in a message earlier that I think maybe we should consider Rutgers as a always end-of-the-year rivalry possibly at a neutral field I don't know where but or maybe just alternating HomeAway but like I was saying I like how Florida and Georgia do it but I'm not sure if we have the fan base for that but I know there's a lot of hatred between these two teams. I know I hate them. I know we still have that 300 some odd page rutgers dumpster sucks something thread and i must say I get a kick outta it when I read it lol. Also were bordering states, fighting over alot of the same recruits in the same area so has the opportunity to turn into something I would think at least better than Boston College and pit could or are now. would like to hear other people's thoughts on that and what teams do they think. I mean you can't forget about West Virginia of course either but right now I don't look at them much of a rival anymore

Paragraphs are your friend.

If we beat Clemson, this year, we become a royal PITA, but that may be about it. It's going to take longer than that.

BC does not like us. There is a sign in their locker room, counting the days/hours 'til Syracuse. No one else. For all I know, they put it up for coach P.

Pitts a dog fight... But it does seem a little lacking for true ACC rivals.

I think it's going to take a few more years . Some huge meaningful wins, and some heartbreaking , meaningful losses.

Paragraphs are your friend.
Too much typing on the phone so I use the Mic. This is not a test. Come on bud u can do it. Read it or dont read it, my goodness lol

I stopped reading at Clemson. You are sounding like the Rutgers fans back in the mid 00's who claimed a rivalry with us. Clemson has a rival, it's the Coots, known as Gamecocks to us Yankees. The hatred runs so deep that they wouldn't look at us like that in a million years. Our current ACC record against them is 1-5? 1-6? You want a rival? It's BC, always has been. Flames died out after they left the BE but it's coming back. Read some of the players regarding treatment by BC players at the bottoms of pile's, etc. You can forget Pitt too, decades of history and no rivalry has developed. I suppose it's because they don't have any fans but that's on them. Regardless they have WV, and the backyard brawl and all of that.

Don't forget that 2 years ago we stood at one end of the BC stadium chanting Who's House? Our House! on their home field. I can't imagine that sits well over there.
Right now we have no real good rivals and im not even BC anymore than PITT. I mean this past season we were both having very good season for us and a good one for them with alot at stake for both teams and they could barely get 35,000 if that for a rivalry game as u call it.
I'm not saying or ever said clemson is our rival, said thats our best case scenario and IDC if we're Yankees or not to them if we beat them and when some ACC championships which in turn will probably stop them from getting to a BCS Bowl and/or playoff you damn well better believe that they're going to be considering us their rival. Just an example cause it will be so tough to get to that point at least until Trevor Lawrence is gone!
for the record I despise Rutgers University and that's usually how one team feels about another in most rivalries, that's the only why i mentioned them. They need a dino babers type and its really all it takes or a Marrone to create a winner.
Who knows what new rival will materialize in the future but I hope 1 does cause does alot for fan interest and excitement. anything to take this program to the next level I would like to get done, thank you

The only rivals Syracuse will ever have are Pitt & BC.

Hopefully, Cuse is the Rock and they alternate trying to knock us off our pedestal.

After that, the Orange will have ‘big’ games v Clemson, FSU & the team du jour.

Period. STOP.

Right now we have no real good rivals and im not even BC anymore than PITT. I mean this past season we were both having very good season for us and a good one for them with alot at stake for both teams and they could barely get 35,000 if that for a rivalry game as u call it.
I'm not saying or ever said clemson is our rival, said thats our best case scenario and IDC if we're Yankees or not to them if we beat them and when some ACC championships which in turn will probably stop them from getting to a BCS Bowl and/or playoff you damn well better believe that they're going to be considering us their rival. Just an example cause it will be so tough to get to that point at least until Trevor Lawrence is gone!
for the record I despise Rutgers University and that's usually how one team feels about another in most rivalries, that's the only why i mentioned them. They need a dino babers type and its really all it takes or a Marrone to create a winner.
Who knows what new rival will materialize in the future but I hope 1 does cause does alot for fan interest and excitement. anything to take this program to the next level I would like to get done, thank you
Agreed. BC is always going to pull poor #'s at home. They are completely irrelevant, in their own town.

BC or Pitt should be our natural rivals, but something is still missing.

We'd have to piss off Clemson for years, to make a rivalry worth having, but that reeks of homerisim. Love it to happen, but I like and respect them, and their fans... Where's an Ahole when you need one?

Potential rival #1 VIRGINIA TECH ...but...
Somebody just reminded me about us beating Virginia Tech in 2016 and Dino babers all over the radio and TV for a good week talking about it LOL. I'm sure that was a great week for Virginia Tech. we had a nice thing going with them before they left the Big East and if they ever get rid of these stupid divisions in the ACC they would be my pick number one!!!! After that games that was the perfect opportunity to start a rivalry but one game every 6 years! Impossible

I don’t see how Clemson can ever become a rival of Syracuse. The two schools are about 850 miles and five states apart. Most rivalries are intra-state or between teams in states that boarder each other. Notre Dame - Southern Cal is the only long distance rivaly that comes to mind.

Syracuse - Clemson might become a big game like Clemson - Florida State a few years ago or Florida - Tennessee before that. Boston College and Pitt appear to be rivalry candidates for Syracuse.

{snip}

Virginia Tech was almost a rivalry, and in it would have been one in a perfect world.

{snip}
No, in a perfect world there'd be an annual Blue-Orange/Orange-Blue Game and VPI would be playing UConn in the AAC.

Who are we kidding, its pitt.

This is not a question. Its pitt. They took advantage and ruined what couldve been an orange bowl top 10 year. They screw with us at least bi annually. We cant win at pitt.

Its pitt

Let's all hope it's not Buffalo in 20 years...
Although, Bulls program feels like it's on the rise; and would be the "natural" in terms of proximity/geography that everyone else seems to have.

Potential rival #1 VIRGINIA TECH ...but...
Somebody just reminded me about us beating Virginia Tech in 2016 and Dino babers all over the radio and TV for a good week talking about it LOL. I'm sure that was a great week for Virginia Tech. we had a nice thing going with them before they left the Big East and if they ever get rid of these stupid divisions in the ACC they would be my pick number one!!!! After that games that was the perfect opportunity to start a rivalry but one game every 6 years! Impossible

Maybe you have some inside information that the format is about to change. Failing that, Virginia Tech is not a viable candidate for a rivalry.

I do look forward to beating them every six years. And every 12 years in the Dome.

Last edited:
VT and Miami can pick up if we get to play them more often. We need to beat Vlemson this year and that one is on. NC st could get there.

Not sure PSU or WVU will have any interest in a series if we are good and there is a good chance they lose.

We are all sick of seeing so much of Pitt and BC. Maryland VT and Miami were the rivals we joined the conference to play.

Maybe you have some inside information that the format is about to change. Failing that, Virginia Tech is not a viable candidate for a rivalry.

I do look forward to beating them every six years. And every 12 years in the Dome.
No not at all they the big 10 was talking about getting rid of the divisions and hopefully we (the ACC)would follow suite. Saw it talked about on some sites but somewhat doubtful anything will come of it unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom