new rules on faking injuries | Syracusefan.com

new rules on faking injuries

upperdeck

Living Legend
The AFCA wants something done.. what are the options.. Clearly the out 1 snap rule isnt doing anything.

My take is if you are hurt enough you cant or shouldnt leave the field, then 1 snap is also not enough..

the rest of the quarter seems harsh.

the rest of the series is kinda arbitrary could mean 1 play or 20 and ignores where on the field you fake it.

maybe it becomes a time thing. from the time you leave the field you are out for 10 min real time or 5 min of game time or something.

maybe you make the teams use the timeouts instead of only at the end of halfs but all the time.

Maybe its your choice of a penalty or a 10 min owie break or 5 min or real game time or the rest of the series since it could be an issue on offense too?

the fact the losing your helmet for 1 play is the same as getting hurt and stopping the flow of the game and triggering a TV TO is dumb and rewards a team while the other penalizes a team for something they didnt really cause most of the time.

You can't penalize timeouts because what is the recourse if the team is out of timeouts? A time limit seems like it might work. The only issue I see there is how to keep track of it, particularly if there are multiple players that get hurt - it does happen occasionally.
It's just a difficult issue to tackle.

While "the rest of the series" is highly variable, it should also be THE MINIMUM.

IF you are "hurt" enough to cause a stoppage in play, you then need to sit out the remainder of that series.
Period.

I'd also like to see a game-time based (since "real time" is so ridiculous, depending on what else may be going on, a quarter end or halftime, kickoff or other change of possessions, etc) minimum bench time.

So, maybe call it the rest of the series, OR 5 minutes of game time, whichever is GREATER.

(I could easily be talked into making that 10 minutes of game time)

You can't penalize timeouts because what is the recourse if the team is out of timeouts? A time limit seems like it might work. The only issue I see there is how to keep track of it, particularly if there are multiple players that get hurt - it does happen occasionally.

While "the rest of the series" is highly variable, it should also be THE MINIMUM.

IF you are "hurt" enough to cause a stoppage in play, you then need to sit out the remainder of that series.
Period.

I'd also like to see a game-time based (since "real time" is so ridiculous, depending on what else may be going on, a quarter end or halftime, kickoff or other change of possessions, etc) minimum bench time.

So, maybe call it the rest of the series, OR 5 minutes of game time, whichever is GREATER.

Rest of series and only if approved by Dr

In the 1991 Florida game in the Dome, two SU linemen literally carry Marvin Graves off the field from a foot injury because they didn't seem to want the game to drag on.

So if you stay down, and you don't appear hurt, someone comes and twists your ankle and we all get our money's worth.

(rule doesn't apply to Syracuse, we don't fake injuries and we suffer enough being the only school with denials of instant transfer eligibility applications).

Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with Brasky, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, Brasky throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Brasky decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name Turkish Delight. And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human.

well thats already the rule if you are out of timeouts. it becomes a penalty.

Period.

Rest of that series AND the following series including any special teams plays they'd be involved with in between. Have to account for end of half and end of game shenanigans. Additionally in a players best interest of they are injured vs hurt

Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with Brasky, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, Brasky throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Brasky decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name Turkish Delight. And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human.

Is there going to an official nickname thread? The reason I ask is because Jakob Bradford = Bill Brasky. 10 foot 2 ton mountain that once punched a hole in a cow just to see what was coming up the road.

Is there going to an official nickname thread? The reason I ask is because Jakob Bradford = Bill Brasky. 10 foot 2 ton mountain that once punched a hole in a cow just to see what was coming up the road.
Would like them to sit out the next 2 series, after the injury. That would limit fake injuries fairly well. You might be down 2 touchdowns by the time a player gets back.

If it serious then they shouldnt be jumping right back in anyway. If you cant get off the field, fine you go sit on the timeout bench

Would like them to sit out the next 2 series, after the injury. That would limit fake injuries fairly well. You might be down 2 touchdowns by the time a player gets back.
Agree. Faking injuries is an awful practice that needs to be cracked down on hard and eradicated.

Besides the dishonesty and fans having to see terrible acting by players who do not want to act, the fake injuries serve to slow games down and kill crowd energy and excitement.

The game of college football is struggling. Let's get the dishonesty out of the game, speed the games up and allow energy and excitement to be sustained as much as possible. It was bad enough for many fans to deal with 3 hour games. Some games are dragging towards 4 hours, without overtime. That is insane.

Why would anyone who cares about the game want to support this practice?

Last edited:
I totally agree that something needs to be done. Maybe forcing the injured player to sit out a series (or two) is a start, but shady coaches will get around this by putting a sub in the game for 1 play, with instructions to fake an injury.
Syracuse got away from their tempo offense this past season, so the fake injuries were the least of our problems.

Hockey has a penalty box. Have an official on each sideline track 10 minutes of game clock for each injured player. Those with real injuries are not coming back immediately, no big deal. Louisville will have half their team in the box at all times, no big deal.

Injury times carry over to next game, including bowl games, playoff games and the next season.

Obvious flopping is a 15 yard personal foul with. The player, the HC, and the applicable coordinator each get one warning, after that they are booted for a full game (60 minutes of clock time, carried into the next game. (I can be talked into the remainder of the present game and the next game, too)

Also, any player penalized for flopping must wear the name "PANSY" on his jersey. This will assist the next game refs to identify and keep a sharp eye on the floppers. Three flopping penalties in a career is a disqualification for life - players and coaches. May seem harsh, but let's be real, who wants to watch a bunch of pansies in full pads whining like two-year-olds while watching football.

how about if you stop the game for injury you need to go to the locker room to be checked out.. no trainers tent for you. the serious ones still get looked at anyway but the cramps become a bigger issue.. and how much will coaches put a fake injury sub guy out there,, one place can mean a score if you put the wrong person on the field..

go back to the old rule.. you sub out you are done for the rest of the half or the game..

well thats already the rule if you are out of timeouts. it becomes a penalty.
It's a penalty if a player gets hurt with no timeouts? I thought it was just a runoff, but only if you're on offense.

Agree. Faking injuries is an awful practice that needs to be cracked down on hard and eradicated.

Besides the dishonest and fans having to see terrible acting by players who do not want to act, the fake injuries serve to slow games down and kill crowd energy and excitement.

The game of college football is struggling. Let's get the dishonesty out of the game, speed the games up and allow energy and excitement to be sustained as much as possible. It was bad enough for many fans to deal with 3 hour games. Some games are dragging towards 4 hours, without overtime. That is insane.

Why would anyone who cares about the game want to support this practice?
The powers that be don’t want the giants being out schemed

It's certainly a slippery slope to have kids stay in a game who are hurt, so how do you police it? Just remember, it's going to be the same rule on the offensive side of the ball to I would imagine. I'd hate to lose my RB or QB or LT for an entire series. Guys hobble off all the time and then come right back in next play or two later.

thats the key.. guys get off, get checked, and then come back on.. if its serious stay down and get checked, but why should it also mean you come right back in?

bball players tweak an ankle, play stops they go out.. but if play doesnt stop again they are sitting until it does to come back in. but also guys dont stop drives faking injuries in bball.

if you get hit in the head you dont just go off and come back in.

I'd have no problem with making a player sit out 5 minutes of game time for any injury whenever the trainers have to come out on the field.

The game that needs this kind of rule more than football is futball. It always makes me laugh to see the players rolling on the field in agony, only to spring up after the foul is called and sprint to the offensive end of the field. That stuff would stop immediately if their team had to play shorthanded for 2 or 3 minutes of game time.

I'd have no problem with making a player sit out 5 minutes of game time for any injury whenever the trainers have to come out on the field.

The game that needs this kind of rule more than football is futball. It always makes me laugh to see the players rolling on the field in agony, only to spring up after the foul is called and sprint to the offensive end of the field. That stuff would stop immediately if their team had to play shorthanded for 2 or 3 minutes of game time.

Yeah, this.

Not that I watch soccer, but I've seen so many "highlights" where a dude goes down like he's been shot by a sniper with a .50 cal,
only to pop back up moments later and jaunt down the field.

the disk re-ward for fouls in soccer is crazy. you can cause guys to get sent off with a dive or get a PK.. in hockey they can too but they call the dive much more often, bball has the flop rule which they rarely use. but in soccer at least there is some contact most of the time to fake it with.. fball the most physical one you just have guys falling down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom