New SNL thoughts | Syracusefan.com

New SNL thoughts

cuseattle

2022-23 Iggy Award Winner Hoops Leading RPG
  • I thought that Baldwin's Trump came across as mean spirited more than funny.
  • At this point, I just feel bad for Cecily Strong.
  • Kenan Thompson has been on for 14 years, and you still couldn't make a "best of" for him.
  • Bobby Moynihan and Pete Davidson are underused.

• Kenan Thompson has been on for 14 years, and you still couldn't make a "best of" for him.
So you were expecting a nuanced, sympathetic portrayal of Trump? :rolleyes:

I thought Alec Baldwin knocked it out of the park. I agree about Kenan Thompson. I don't think there is a keeper among this year's cast. A couple of them could be secondary players, but there is no alpha in this bunch. Why do you feel bad for Cecily Strong?

Snl hasn't been good in years, I thought it was genius to bring back Larry David into the fold, everything that man touches turns to gold. If I was snl I would do everything I could to get him involved more.

I thought Alec Baldwin knocked it out of the park. I agree about Kenan Thompson. I don't think there is a keeper among this year's cast. A couple of them could be secondary players, but there is no alpha in this bunch. Why do you feel bad for Cecily Strong?
Cecily Strong has fallen mightily since being booted from update. She is rarely featured, and rarely funny the last two years.

Update is horrific with Che and Jost. They just aren't funny. I thought Baldwin's Trump was outstanding. Moynihan is funny but I agree, underused. As far as Davidson goes, I'm surprised he's still employed. He's kind of like a less annoying Jim Breuer. I like Cecily Strong. Kenan isn't a bad supporting character, he just shouldn't be the focal point of a skit.

Sorry, Kenan's "What's up with that" skits are genius. Love those.

Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are superstars.

So, upon further review, the opening sketch was pretty funny. I still think it is one of the harshest depictions of any Presidential or VP candidates that the show has ever done.
I am all for seeing more Leslie Jones.

AZOrange said:
Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are superstars.

Bleh, I don't agree, but maybe it's just me. I think they could both be usable, but this cast is lacking a star. And some of them are downright boring.

Update is horrific with Che and Jost. They just aren't funny. I thought Baldwin's Trump was outstanding. Moynihan is funny but I agree, underused. As far as Davidson goes, I'm surprised he's still employed. He's kind of like a less annoying Jim Breuer. I like Cecily Strong. Kenan isn't a bad supporting character, he just shouldn't be the focal point of a skit.
Isn't Davidson super young?

So, upon further review, the opening sketch was pretty funny. I still think it is one of the harshest depictions of any Presidential or VP candidates that the show has ever done.
I am all for seeing more Leslie Jones.

I didn't find it harsh at all. I'd consider Chevy Chase falling down as Gerald Ford much more harsh. Even the way they've always portrayed Bill Clinton as a womanizer I'd say is tougher treatment than what they gave Trump this past weekend.

When Bobby Moynihan is the best you've got, you've got nothing. Nobody in this entire cast has any kind of presence. It's like watching a high school play or something.
People used to say the same thing during the early Will Ferrell years, and during the early Chris Farley/David Spade years, etc. Give it time.

People used to say the same thing during the early Will Ferrell years, and during the early Chris Farley/David Spade years, etc. Give it time.
Yeah, it seems like every "new" cast gets pegged like that. However, I don't think there is anyone that has the ability to step up and be the star of this cast. Will Ferrell always had a presence, so did Jimmy Fallon. Going back to the Farley/Spade/Sandler beginning, they still had Dana Carvey and Mike Meyers and that gave them time to develop. And Farley always stole the show in every skit he was in. I could be wrong, but I am underwhelmed by the whole cast. Do you see star power in any of them?

alec baldwin has nailed so many bits (tony bennet,pete scweddy, canteen boy) that i came away disappointed with his trump personna. just not that funny.

alec baldwin has nailed so many bits (tony bennet,pete scweddy, canteen boy) that i came away disappointed with his trump personna. just not that funny.
Still love him as the head elf in one of the xmas specials...ABC...Always Be Cobbling!

Hillary is tough to nail, because she's physically less unique than many, and intrinsically boring and uninteresting. McKinnon is vastly better (and improving) than any previous female SNLer who tried to do Hillary. All of them were horrible. Kate is starting to grasp what little nuances she can. And they're getting her to look a little more similar to Hillary, as well.

When Bobby Moynihan is the best you've got, you've got nothing. Nobody in this entire cast has any kind of presence. It's like watching a high school play or something.

You sir, are insane. I think last year's cast was better, but there is some serious talent on the show now. The last few years have been a nice little rebirth for SNL, which I thought had outlived it's usefulness.

Edit - they shouldn't have let Pharaoh and killam go.

Yeah, it seems like every "new" cast gets pegged like that. However, I don't think there is anyone that has the ability to step up and be the star of this cast. Will Ferrell always had a presence, so did Jimmy Fallon. Going back to the Farley/Spade/Sandler beginning, they still had Dana Carvey and Mike Meyers and that gave them time to develop. And Farley always stole the show in every skit he was in. I could be wrong, but I am underwhelmed by the whole cast. Do you see star power in any of them?
Fallon was awful last weekend. Destroyed that bit. He needs to stay away.

You sir, are insane. I think last year's cast was better, but there is some serious talent on the show now. The last few years have been a nice little rebirth for SNL, which I thought had outlived it's usefulness.

Edit - they shouldn't have let Pharaoh and killam go.
You may be right. I may be crazy. But, it just may be a lunatic you're looking for. I just don't see the kind of lunatic in this cast that is funny. One may emerge, but there area few that annoy the hell out of me and I just can't watch because their delivery is so flat of mildly amusing material, so it just doesn't work for me at this point, sorry. I know many (most) have an alternative view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom