New Things To Worry About.. | Syracusefan.com

New Things To Worry About..

bigmike

Connoisseur of head and legroom.
For defensive coordinators facing the Orange:
  1. TD adding the R to the RPO.
  2. TD to Tristian Jackson all over the field.
  3. Aaron Hackett and that sneaky shovel pass.
  4. The emergence if a respectable running game.

For defensive coordinators facing the Orange:
  1. TD adding the R to the RPO.
  2. TD to Tristian Jackson all over the field.
  3. Aaron Hackett and that sneaky shovel pass.
  4. The emergence if a respectable running game.
1. Is the biggest.
2. That’s not new and made tougher if no one else emerges as a legit #2.
3. Wrinkle more than threat
4. Not convinced yet.

HOlding off judgement on all of those points until we do the same to an ACC team. It was a nice win and we looked better, but frankly we should be better against that level.

It's was only a matter of time before the O started clicking on all cylinders but the D has been concerning to me. Hoping DL Williams and the DB's are ready to go for the Thursday ACC slugfest vs. NCSt. on 10/10.

Agreed. Was particularly pleased with the use of TD's legs and Aaron Hackett, but do need to see both in conference play.

It looked better, and this truly is a team that is growing by the week. By NC state we need to be at full capacity with this offense.

I hope what we saw from TD this week shows that he is getring more comfortable with deciding when and how to run. I thought we actually saw it a little bit against Clemson too, not so much with production but decision making and picking up a few yards here and there when there was nowhere to throw.

I kind of understand all of the nerves on here about him getting hurt, but I think it's overblown. We've had running qb's in the past that stayed healthy and I see qb's from other schools running every saturday. ED was an anomaly in that he ran way more physical than most. I think TD will be smarter about avoiding contact and is probably more likely to get crushed on a blind side pass rush than a downfield run.

Last edited:
If your corners can't play man vs our WR, it's trouble.

I don't know that we're really doing RPOs with Tommy yet. It's basically he either hands off to the runner or looks downfield to pass. His 2 big runs yesterday seemed like designed runs. But whatever. Defenses now have to at least consider that possibility. All I'm saying is I've yet to see him effectively keep on a true RPO.

And the shovel pass? Worked to perfection. But it's a high-risk play the way we've attempted it the last several years. I think it's the first time it actually gained more than 3 yards. Usually it's a fumble, a muffed handoff, or the guy is stopped dead in his tracks. Once a game is fine. Maybe.

I don't know that we're really doing RPOs with Tommy yet. It's basically he either hands off to the runner or looks downfield to pass. His 2 big runs yesterday seemed like designed runs. But whatever. Defenses now have to at least consider that possibility. All I'm saying is I've yet to see him effectively keep on a true RPO.

And the shovel pass? Worked to perfection. But it's a high-risk play the way we've attempted it the last several years. I think it's the first time it actually gained more than 3 yards. Usually it's a fumble, a muffed handoff, or the guy is stopped dead in his tracks. Once a game is fine. Maybe.

A shovel pass can't be a fumble or a muffed handoff. It's either an incompletion or a completion.

Everyone expecting to do more against WMU. Did you expect 75 points or something from the offense?

Everyone expecting to do more against WMU. Did you expect 75 points or something from the offense?
It's not about points. It's about looking for improvement in weak spots.