Class of 2020 - New Transfer: Mitch Wykoff (Gettysburg) Defense | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 New Transfer: Mitch Wykoff (Gettysburg) Defense

2. Mitch Wykoff, Sr., D, GettysburgMitch is a plug-in defenseman in any spot at any level. His skillset is incredibly versatile and coach Hank Jancyk’s staff loves to empower him to play instinctually. He’s great on the wings of face-offs, takes on the task of guarding the other teams best dodger, is sure handed with his stick skills in the clear, and if you don’t pick him up in transition he will make you pay. In 2019, Wykoff picked up 92 groundballs, had 23 caused turnovers and logged nine goals as a close defenseman guarding the other teams strongest offensive threat. At 6-2 205 and extremely athletic, Wykoff will make a great addition to any defensive unit.

Just to reiterate from my post on the transfer thread, this is exactly what we needed. Kudos to the staff for making it happen. Check out the IL blurb on him, ranked as the #2 D2/D3 transfer and they raved about him. This is exactly the type of player we needed. Now grab Sundown and call it an off-season.

Sounds very similar to Kennedy, makes me wonder which will play close and which will play LSM. Maybe they both play close? Good size which is always a plus. Big step up in competition but all the adjectives sound like exactly what SU needs.

Sounds very similar to Kennedy, makes me wonder which will play close and which will play LSM. Maybe they both play close? Good size which is always a plus. Big step up in competition but all the adjectives sound like exactly what SU needs.

Think Kennedy is still destined to play close, to valuable there. That said Wykoff sounds like a guy who could play where he is needed game to game. If I had to guess I would say he fills Mellens role and SU uses the two as a great 1-2 punch at close to take on elite attack units. Murphy can play LSM to if needed.

Intriguing but be forewarned before any ordaining any spot that some of this comp is not as good as some good high school squads. There was much optimism with Staats last year .I wouldn't be shifting Murphy anywhere and Page, Clary, younger Kennedy, Kol and others will be in mix.

Intriguing but be forewarned before any ordaining any spot that some of this comp is not as good as some good high school squads. There was much optimism with Staats last year .I wouldn't be shifting Murphy anywhere and Page, Clary, younger Kennedy, Kol and others will be in mix.

Agreed to an extent, D3 is D3 but as a 3 time AA and those kind of stats I think SU seems him as a guy who will definitely see the field. Seems like he has the ability to play lsm or close and will slid in perfectly for Fernandez on-the wings. Personally I love this pickup.

Like it as well but Ill wait till September before projecting. Page ,Clary n others didnt suddenly get slower

Like it as well but Ill wait till September before projecting. Page ,Clary n others didnt suddenly get slower

For sure, Page and Clary are the future and I know the staff is high on both. That said to bring in a 5th year guy like Wykoff with his accolades (keeping the D3 comp in mind) is enormous for this team. Gives them a veteran presence who can play close or lsm and could be a veteran presence to slowly bring Page and Clary and the younger guys along. The fact this is the one player SU has brought in so far speaks volumes to me. When SU brings ina D transfer they usually hit on them big time.

Good to know . Lets hope that is the case. Just aware n wary of lower level comp . Know of some offensive d3 players on top IL list with crazy stats who wouldnt get a whiff here.. Staats was 1st team All American in njcaa n excelled at Hill. Look at Lee's crazy hs stats or Clary's. Page Clary n others would be standouts in d3. They are not inexperienced vs top comp n we have played younger players on d Mellen, Kennedy n Fernandez all in 1st yr because talent abundant. Im all for this addition given atheleticsm n size, potential obviously there but also think premature to be penciling anyone in anywhere until we see fall ball.

Good to know . Lets hope that is the case. Just aware n wary of lower level comp . Know of some offensive d3 players on top IL list with crazy stats who wouldnt get a whiff here.. Staats was 1st team All American in njcaa n excelled at Hill. Look at Lee's crazy hs stats or Clary's. Page Clary n others would be standouts in d3. They are not inexperienced vs top comp n we have played younger players on d Mellen, Kennedy n Fernandez all in 1st yr because talent abundant. Im all for this addition given atheleticsm n size, potential obviously there but also think premature to be penciling anyone in anywhere until we see fall ball.

I think with Fernandez leaving, and the way SU utilizes their long sticks, Clary/Page and Wykoff could all see plenty of time. Totally correct in wanting to wait till fall ball to see how things shake out, but by the sounds of it, he really fits a need. I have high hopes for Clary and Page, but this season is going to be really tough with teams loading up on transfers. I’d rather have a more veteran presence available while still giving runs to the younger guys. I could see them both filling in as the Helmer role and he got a lot of time last year.

And I know his stats won’t come anywhere near what he put up at Gettysburg, but I feel like if you are good on ground balls those things can translate to any level. Also lots of DIII players have gone on to have really successful pro careers. I think this could work. Is it better to take the best DIII player available, or a regular DI starter, but who has never made all American?

Is there a huge disparity in skill/speed/athleticism between D1 and D3? I‘m sure the top tier D3 programs can go toe to toe with the lower end of D1 or am I off? Differences shouldn’t be that huge.

While there is a big difference between D1 and D3 in talent, athleticism and practice hours/intensity, there are definitely some D3 studs out there who can compete at a D1 level. Not only that, we know how the talent levels among D1 conferences (MAAC etc.) drops off, let alone moving down to D3. What makes this a big roll of the dice is that Wykoff will be asked to defend against the most elite attackmen and middies in D1 (ACC, Hopkins, Cornell) during the regular season and potentially the other elite BIG10 and maybe Ivy guys during the playoffs. Making the move as a close D is big-time pressure and then there's the stage and expectations of playing for Cuse, the Dome, local media...

It's a huge opportunity for him to go from Gettysburg to Cuse - like a pitcher going from the minors to pitch against the Yankees and Red Sox. If he proves himself to the coaches, is mentally tough and plays like a guy with 4 years experience, he will be a great pickup with little to no downside - coaches will need to make sure younger guys get playing time and development.

I really hope he can deliver!

Reading the write-up by Inside Lacrosse, it seems that if he can indeed play at this level he'd be a natural on the wings and pushing transition when available. I still think when Phaup/Varello etc aren't winning draws cleanly, as a team we struggle to get the ball off the ground so it sounds like this guy is a bit of a vacuum. Is anyone aware if Clary/Page have experience playing close?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom