New York's College Team | Syracusefan.com

New York's College Team

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
<rant>

This really grinds my gears. Nowhere in this slogan does it say New York City's college team. Syracuse is the flagship football/basketball program in the STATE of New York. And that is undeniable fact.

I just cannot stand when people (opposing fans, articles, etc) downplay this slogan and point to the notion that NYC cannot be owned by just one collegiate team. This has no baring on the truth of the statement that Syracuse is New York's College Team.

After all, if the State of NY could choose 1 representative in a basketball tournament against other states, it would choose Syracuse.

If the State of NY could choose 1 representative in a football tournament against other states, it would choose Syracuse.

Thus, New York's College Team.

</rant>

sarcasm20meter.jpg

<rant>

This really grinds my gears. Nowhere in this slogan does it say New York City's college team. Syracuse is the flagship football/basketball program in the STATE of New York. And that is undeniable fact.

I just cannot stand when people (opposing fans, articles, etc) downplay this slogan and point to the notion that NYC cannot be owned by just one collegiate team. This has no baring on the truth of the statement that Syracuse is New York's College Team.

After all, if the State of NY could choose 1 representative in a basketball tournament against other states, it would choose Syracuse.

If the State of NY could choose 1 representative in a football tournament against other states, it would choose Syracuse.

</rant>
Here's all the proof you need. Disclaimer: Despite the map, BC cannot lay claim to Massachussets (UMass), Vermont (UV), New Hampshire (Dartmouth), Rhode Island (URI) or Maine (UM) because I say so . . . and nobody cares.

map.jpg

People from NY understand this...but after being the military 20+ years and living in different parts of the world and working with people from all over the US and world, I have to be specific when they ask where I am from. If I just say NY, then they automatically assume NYC...so I always say Syracuse, NY. Same goes when living in other parts of the country...when you say NY then NYC automatically comes to mind...

People from NY understand this...but after being the military 20+ years and living in different parts of the world and working with people from all over the US and world, I have to be specific when they ask where I am from. If I just say NY, then they automatically assume NYC...so I always say Syracuse, NY. Same goes when living in other parts of the country...when you say NY then NYC automatically comes to mind...

7ed40e1042c30788e1de36e4b1727d6a_original.jpg

I've seen the adds in NYC for New York's College Team but have not been to other parts of the state recently. Do we advertise this througout the state?

I've seen the adds in NYC for New York's College Team but have not been to other parts of the state recently. Do we advertise this througout the state?

I've seen posters in Albany and Rochester.

Maybe billboards would be a good idea. I've suggested signs in Ralph Wilson Stadium and the First Niagara Center similar to the left field line at Yankee Stadium.

Here's all the proof you need. Disclaimer: Despite the map, BC cannot lay claim to Massachussets (UMass), Vermont (UV), New Hampshire (Dartmouth), Rhode Island (URI) or Maine (UM) because I say so . . . and nobody cares.

map.jpg

What color is Long Island? Maybe we need to put some more billboards up down there! ;)

<rant>

</rant>

Agree 100%. I think it's because people hear New York and they think of city first. State is an afterthought to most people. I wonder if people in the state of Washington get upset that people think of DC first.

Agree 100%. I think it's because people hear New York and they think of city first. State is an afterthought to most people. I wonder if people in the state of Washington get upset that people think of DC first.

It has been this way for decades, probably since the dawn of the colonies. No one outside of the Northeast realizes that there is an entire State of New York. In my business travels I have been told "you don't sound like you're from New York" countless times. It happens less now, but it kills me that no one realizes NYC is just a small part of NY. I still remember Tennessee fans coming to Syracuse in 1998 and being absolutely stunned at how beautiful CNY was. They couldn't believe that it looked a lot like their home state, with rolling hills, creeks, rivers and lakes. That says a lot about the tunnel vision that exists out there. It's just like when people say Buffalo down South and the response is usually "blizzard".

Are you back to being Syracuse fan?...thought you switched to Duke for your girlfriend?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Are you back to being Syracuse fan?...thought you switched to Duke for your girlfriend?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sitting at my desk, this statement just made my head explode.

Sitting at my desk, this statement just made my head explode.
Yeah, the deal I made was Duke was only for a year. It would be nice to have my original handle back.

I still get the "You don't sound like you're from New York.". Here in Houston I politely explain that NYC is about one sizt the land mass of HTown while more than doubling the population. I the assure them that the entire state is NOT paved over with skyscrapers and slums.

<rant>

</rant>

You just have to laugh at them. I love it when opposing fans talk about it. Since its about marketing and branding, the mere fact that opposing fans talk about the slogan, good or bad, means the slogan is doing its job.

It's pretty recognizable now that Syracuse is new Yorks college team.