Newly Designed Court to be Unveiled at Orange vs White Scrimmage | Syracusefan.com

Newly Designed Court to be Unveiled at Orange vs White Scrimmage

1570714944482.png

I love how different the court in the photo looks vs the design photo

I like it. Seems like the block S got bigger. Thought they would have scubbed Carrier. Also room for a few more retired numbers.

I think, though I'm not certain, that Carrier has a long-term contract to advertise on the court (separate from the building construction gift).

Would be nice if the Carrier blue matched the accent blue a little more closely.

I think, though I'm not certain, that Carrier has a long-term contract to advertise on the court (separate from the building construction gift).

Would be nice if the Carrier blue matched the accent blue a little more closely.
If Carrier doesn’t have a contract for that ad space this is how I would fulfill any obligation to them.
1570715414404.png

Carrier becomes the IF.

A couple more thoughts:

One, the marker for Pearl's shot is gone. I like that; it was a nice touch, but it was asymmetrical and made the court a little busy.

Two, remembering the Pearl marker reminds me that SU is changing the court a lot these days. IIRC, they played on that tartan surface for maybe three years, then bought a hardwood court in '83 or '84 that got shipped back and forth to Manley (for the women, who also had no hardwood court) for ten years. The Dome kept that original court (with the occasional minor paint job, replacing the tip-off circle with a medium-sized S, adding and then removing "Carrier Dome" out of bounds at the scorer's table in the mid-'90s, adding "Jim Boeheim Court" in 2002) through the 2003 season. Then they cut it up and sold it off.

Since then it seems like they've had half a dozen paint schemes: 2017-2019 was a mottled and somewhat darker shade of wood, all orange paint, and the Pearl marker; before that was light wood and all orange with the big block S and no blue accents (white "Big East" and then "ACC" at the free throw lines); there were a couple years with mostly orange but blue accents and a big "Syracuse" crowning the block S before that; then there were the traditional blue lanes and rounded "Syracuse University" typeface from maybe 2003 to 2006, give or take.

I guess this is the new normal, and -- like the uniform debate -- the constant changing will probably affect some people's impression of the SU brand.

Correct. Logos on court are a separate deal from the naming rights
The stripes on the sideline are another way to honor JB's 44th year as HC at SU BB. Just like the uniforms, this is a reference to the unis Louie and Bouie played in during the late 1970s.

The numbers on the sideline are for all the players who have had their number retired. They are listed in the order the numbers were retired.

I like the look, agree with the other comments. Clean and traditional. The colors look good. No duct tape.

So glad they didn't put a faint outline of the Hall of Languages, the Erie Canal or something like that on it.

The stripes on the sideline are another way to honor JB's 44th year as HC at SU BB. Just like the uniforms, this is a reference to the unis Louie and Bouie played in during the late 1970s.

The numbers on the sideline are for all the players who have had their number retired. They are listed in the order the numbers were retired.

I love this.

It's the little things.

I like the look, agree with the other comments. Clean and traditional. The colors look good. No duct tape.

So glad they didn't put a faint outline of the Hall of Languages, the Erie Canal or something like that on it.

I was just going to say the stripes match the uniforms - nice touch.

I like it but the orange on the court looks diff than the live shot

I like it but the orange on the court looks diff than the live shot
It does. Unfortunately, in the drawing, the orange is too red. In the picture, the orange is too yellow.

We have to do a better job picking the right shade of orange and using it consistently throughout the Dome. The chairs in the background of the picture for instance, are the right shade of orange.

Last edited:
I assume the blue three point line is for the women and the Orange is for the men. I don’t like having two three point lines on the court, but we don’t have a choice. It always drives me crazy when we play on an NBA court and the players keep jacking up NBA threes.

It does. Unfortunately, in the drawing, the orange is too red. In the picture, the orange is too yellow.

We have to do a better job picking the right shade of orange and using it consistently throughout the Dome. The chairs in the background of the picture for instance, are the right shade of orange.
It’s weird they can’t get it right. We have to have a TM color...

A couple more thoughts:

One, the marker for Pearl's shot is gone. I like that; it was a nice touch, but it was asymmetrical and made the court a little busy.

Two, remembering the Pearl marker reminds me that SU is changing the court a lot these days. IIRC, they played on that tartan surface for maybe three years, then bought a hardwood court in '83 or '84 that got shipped back and forth to Manley (for the women, who also had no hardwood court) for ten years. The Dome kept that original court (with the occasional minor paint job, replacing the tip-off circle with a medium-sized S, adding and then removing "Carrier Dome" out of bounds at the scorer's table in the mid-'90s, adding "Jim Boeheim Court" in 2002) through the 2003 season. Then they cut it up and sold it off.

Since then it seems like they've had half a dozen paint schemes: 2017-2019 was a mottled and somewhat darker shade of wood, all orange paint, and the Pearl marker; before that was light wood and all orange with the big block S and no blue accents (white "Big East" and then "ACC" at the free throw lines); there were a couple years with mostly orange but blue accents and a big "Syracuse" crowning the block S before that; then there were the traditional blue lanes and rounded "Syracuse University" typeface from maybe 2003 to 2006, give or take.

I guess this is the new normal, and -- like the uniform debate -- the constant changing will probably affect some people's impression of the SU brand.
Can we incorporate the color scheme from the glory days of SU basketball from 1987-2012?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom