News Coverage of the Accident is sickening | Syracusefan.com

News Coverage of the Accident is sickening

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiseman3

2nd String
What are the local news stations thinking?? CNY Central reaching out to former players for comment, sensationalizing it and acting like its some huge controversy. They acted shocked during the report that no former players wanted to comment. No ! Its a tragic accident, what could they possibly add to the story? Also having a huge breaking news "Boeheim Accident" graphic on the evening news like its some huge scandal. So so disrespectful

Anybody have confirmation of what Dan Le Batard said about it earlier today? I heard that his take on it was pretty crappy, but the video isn't up on ESPN anymore, as far as I can tell.

If this was anyone else it wouldn’t come close to having this much coverage or traction. It would be chalked up as what it is. A horrible tragic accident, that could have happened to anyone

This. I'm sitting in our newsroom as we speak, and unfortunately, because it is Boeheim as a part of a fatal accident (which is how we worded it rather than him killing somebody), it is going to get more traction. My hope is that by Saturday this simmers down and it'll be all about the game.

I just don't like how the news stations are covering this like it was something like a mass shooting...its tragic and awful but it could have been anyone. There is no need to have a reporter at Joeys where he ate before hand or have a meteorologist detail the POSSIBLE road conditions from last night. Seems crazy and way over the top to me.

If he coaches Saturday, I assume he will also do the post game conference as usual, but assume the agreement will be no questions from the media about it. Or perhaps would an assistant do the press conf?

Anybody have confirmation of what Dan Le Batard said about it earlier today? I heard that his take on it was pretty crappy, but the video isn't up on ESPN anymore, as far as I can tell.

Ehhh. Heard something about it mentioning he was drinking or that someone implied that he was drinking and then comments that he fled the scene.

Don’t take my words for fact but it was something along those line.

Ehhh. Heard something about it mentioning he was drinking or that someone implied that he was drinking and then comments that he fled the scene.

That's what I heard as well. Just curious if anybody here actually witnessed it being said

I think that might be part of what was reported by someone associated with ESPN. My son texted me to ask me if that is what I had heard happened.

I just don't like how the news stations are covering this like it was something like a mass shooting...its tragic and awful but it could have been anyone. There is no need to have a reporter at Joeys where he ate before hand or have a meteorologist detail the POSSIBLE road conditions from last night. Seems crazy and way over the top to me.

It’s their super bowl. I get it. They spend 99% of their days sending live crews to non events to make them seem important.

It’s all overkill. So when they get an actual news story in this town, the producers freak out and go breaking news team coverage.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) there’s not much to this story- it’s pretty simple.

Car Spins out in bad weather.
Passengers get out of car.
Passing car doesn’t see them, and hits one of them and they die.

There’s no conspiracy, no crime. It’s just a freaking accident.

Local news in this town is cringeworthy.

Last edited:

He doesn't freaking drink. Stop this nonsense.

This is terrible. You have to report something since it is the most famous person in the area but this should be nowhere near the sports section and on the second page of the news when its clear he did nothing wrong and was avoiding a crashed car. How trashy are these reporters to reach out to former players for comment?

This type of is a sad reflection on our society. They know people will watch so they broadcast it.

Status
Not open for further replies.