Start of the season

JG
Buddy
Benny
Cole
Sid

by ACC time

swap Benny and Jimmy

I think your start of the season lineup is our every game lineup.

If there are changes, it's because Torrence beats out Girard or someone gets injured.

I think your start of the season lineup is our every game lineup.

If there are changes, it's because Torrence beats out Girard or someone gets injured.
Injuries are my biggest concern. Hopefully we get a couple more players from the portal. I suspect we will.

Of course he has. It isn't his job anymore. Jess should start.
What has he done other than get hurt? I’ll have to check SWC75’s thread, but I don’t see JB benching Sidibe for that reason alone.

Your basketball reasoning fails to account for JB's loyalty.

If Sidibe can go, he will be the starter, even if it's a token starter. If fate gives us the guy from the last 6 games of 19-20, Edwards and Anselem can wait a year and enjoy celebrating an ACC title while doing it.

Loyalty means nothing if he's unable to physically perform.

He's been injured three of the four years he suited up. If he can't deliver, then JB's loyalty will end swiftly.

On top of that, Jesse seems to be better defensively. So between those two factors, I strongly believe that Sidibe starting is a longshot. At best.

What has he done other than get hurt? I’ll have to check SWC75’s thread, but I don’t see JB benching Sidibe for that reason alone.
To start with, he isn't as good as Jess. Then, we move on to the injury situation that you can't depend on him. If we want to be very good, Jess has to be the starter and he has to play big minutes.

To start with, he isn't as good as Jess. Then, we move on to the injury situation that you can't depend on him. If we want to be very good, Jess has to be the starter and he has to play big minutes.
Edwards can still play big minutes without being the starter. And while he’s better defensively, I haven’t seen enough to say he’s the better all-around player.

Ultimately, this boils down to what JB will do, and his history suggests he’ll start Sidibe. Maybe he’ll make an exception in this case.

Edwards can still play big minutes without being the starter. And while he’s better defensively, I haven’t seen enough to say he’s the better all-around player.

Ultimately, this boils down to what JB will do, and his history suggests he’ll start Sidibe. Maybe he’ll make an exception in this case.
And when JB starts Edwards you will fall in line with how great the decision is.

Sid has played about 8-9 games during his entire career well. Other than that he has either been foul prone or injured. Unless he is 100% healthy and showing out in practice he shouldn't start over anyone.

Sid has played about 8-9 games during his entire career well. Other than that he has either been foul prone or injured. Unless he is 100% healthy and showing out in practice he shouldn't start over anyone.
JB had no problem benching Tyler Roberson who was a great kid and never had issues in practice.
The spin people take is what literally drives me nuts. JB does what he wants and is smart enough to know how to defend it if asked publicly.

Loyalty means nothing if he's unable to physically perform.

He's been injured three of the four years he suited up. If he can't deliver, then JB's loyalty will end swiftly.

On top of that, Jesse seems to be better defensively. So between those two factors, I strongly believe that Sidibe starting is a longshot. At best.

Oh, I agree with you entirely. I think Sidibe is cooked and just getting a sixth year in college because it's free and a masters is valuable. Plus college is really fun! It's just like when those walk-ons get scholarships as seniors from time to time.

My point is JB will give him every chance if he has anything left because he is loyal to those who are loyal to the program.

JB had no problem benching Tyler Roberson who was a great kid and never had issues in practice.
The spin people take is what literally drives me nuts. JB does what he wants and is smart enough to know how to defend it if asked publicly.
JB was at his worst with his Tyler comments. He was out of bounds even for him.

Hope this team can "gun" cuz it sure as hell won't run.
If JB doesn't give Torrence a fair shot/PT at PG, this team doesn't reach its potential.

My point is JB will give him every chance if he has anything left because he is loyal to those who are loyal to the program.
Loyalty to the program might be a small part. But to me, JB trusts those players he thinks give him the best chance to win the next game on the schedule. He rarely plays the players he doesn't trust to win unless he has to. And once you have his trust, you continue to play - see Joe G.

That circle of trust doesn't often go beyond 7 players deep. We've seen that for 40+ years.

Loyalty to the program might be a small part. But to me, JB trusts those players he thinks give him the best chance to win the next game on the schedule. He rarely plays the players he doesn't trust to win unless he has to. And once you have his trust, you continue to play - see Joe G.

That circle of trust doesn't often go beyond 7 players deep. We've seen that for 40+ years.
What coach doesn’t play the players that give them the best chance to win?

JB said Edwards wasn’t ready.
The guy was a difference maker at the end of the season. He wasn’t even getting a chance to play.
We are lead to believe that he is so bad at practice he could only play 8 minutes between the Miami game he made a difference and the Georgia Tecu game he had to play when Marek got foul trouble.

Sorry I believe not playing Edwards wasn’t because he didn’t give us a chance to win when we struggled defensively.
JB has broken us as a fanbase to the degree people believe he is always right or he is a mean old man.

I don’t care about anything but being good again. When we were winning 30 games and only losing 1 game in 2012 I would fight the morons who complain about how we won.

I think JB does whatever he wants and he knows he is smart enough to defend it even if their is debate as to whether he is right.

This is exactly everything you need to know about Syracuse basketball right here.

This is exactly everything you need to know about Syracuse basketball right here.

« IfTyler Roberson is going to play he has to give us points and rebounds," Boeheim said. "They aren't guarding him. He's dribbling sideways. He can go at the basket. He's getting the same opportunities Tyler Lydon is getting. He can't get a point? You can't have a junior be in the program and play all the time, and when you get to your junior year, he can't score. You can't win. You can't win that way."

But Jim Boeheim doesn’t bench starters.
The kid wasn’t even mailing it in. He was trying with good effort.

I think JB does whatever he wants and he knows he is smart enough to defend it even if their is debate as to whether he is right.
JB should play whoever he wants and longs as he wants. Period. This has nothing to do with illusions of infallibility (I am not a JB loyalist or apologist) or whether anyone on this board thinks he should do otherwise. JB then must accept full responsibility for the outcome of those choices, good and bad. It really has nothing to do with being "smart enough" to defend his choices.

And when JB starts Edwards you will fall in line with how great the decision is.
Oh, you have no idea. My response when that happens will drive you absolutely bonkers.

I 100% expect Sidibe to start. JB will give him every opportunity to show if he’s healthy. I do think the actual PT will be closer to 50/50 but Sidibe has always started when healthy and now he’s a 5th year senior.

I 100% expect Sidibe to start. JB will give him every opportunity to show if he’s healthy. I do think the actual PT will be closer to 50/50 but Sidibe has always started when healthy and now he’s a 5th year senior.

What if he doesn't bounce back physically?

I mean -- I understand your logic, but there is no guarantee that his mobility won't be impaired -- let alone that he'll be back anywhere close to 100%. He's been injured for major sections of three of his four seasons. Last year, he missed all but 2 games.

At minimum, that means that the likelihood of him being available and unimpaired is far less than 100%. Him bouncing back and being able to perform like he did as a junior [the lone year he was healthy] would be best case scenario, and shouldn't be the expected outcome.

We can cross our fingers and hope, but his track record of being healthy is unfavorable.

I mean -- I understand your logic, but there is no guarantee that his mobility won't be impaired -- let alone that he'll be back anywhere close to 100%. He's been injured for major sections of three of his four seasons. Last year, he missed all but 2 games.

At minimum, that means that the likelihood of him being available and unimpaired is far less than 100%. Him bouncing back and being able to perform like he did as a junior [the lone year he was healthy] would be best case scenario, and shouldn't be the expected outcome.

We can cross our fingers and hope, but his track record of being healthy is unfavorable.

I agree with all of this.

That said -
I also find it funny how many are anointing Jesse the starter and being 'more talented' and 'better defensively' and deserving of All The Minutes at Center, based on a small sample size of say 6 games at the end of this last season.

While also completely dismissing Sidibe as being a viable starter and having talent, since he 'only played great for 6 games at the end of the season' the year prior.

I guess that's recency bias in effect.

I hope somebody has been in Frank's ear saying that same things

I didn't want to give this a like.

I agree with all of this.

That said -
I also find it funny how many are anointing Jesse the starter and being 'more talented' and 'better defensively' and deserving of All The Minutes at Center, based on a small sample size of say 6 games at the end of this last season.

While also completely dismissing Sidibe as being a viable starter and having talent, since he 'only played great for 6 games at the end of the season' the year prior.

I guess that's recency bias in effect.
The way I rationalize it is that Jesse's impact happened on a higher performing team.

Not saying that's bullet proof logic or anything. That's just how my thinking goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom