next year could really be special | Syracusefan.com

next year could really be special

kcsu

Living Legend
I watched the Rutgers game again last night as well as parts of the USC and Wake games and really feel as if we could be something next year. The youth on this team is better than i have seen in many years and it is only going to get better. Next year we have pretty much the entire D back. Add in Davis at LB Coleman and Brantley at DT and a kid like Eskrdige in the secondary and we are really going to be talented and deep.

Specials will improve as well with Fisher and Kraut having another year under their belt.

On the O side every position should be improved with the exception of RB which scares the heck out of me as we are talented but thin in numbers. The Oline will improve as i see Alexander stepping in and Up for Hays. Nassib will be that much better add in our young WR's Hale, Foster,West, Flemming, along with Alex and a seasoned Kobena and Grahm. Newcomers like Trudo, Parris at TE, Broyld and Smallwood and we have the makings of a team that will be able to play with anyone on the schedule. If we can just add another impact RB or if Devante is the real deal we should be set. The future is bright and young as we prepare for the ACC

Next year "could" be special but we will only go as far as our running game goes (OL and RB). The defense will be special, the passing game will be very good and even the specials should be much much better overall.

agreed bees. Do you know of anyone one that we are on Juco or prep at RB that could step up next year? Also TOS is reporting that Devante is being pushed by Pstate and others. Is he solid? Still trying to get that Hairball called Rutgers out of my throat!

When you say specials will be much improved, are you assuming that a coach is hired before next season?

Yes i dont think that this group coaching thing is going to last

When you say specials will be much improved, are you assuming that a coach is hired before next season?

Do you think a new specials coach would be able to get Krautman or Lichenstein to kick the ball down to the goaline? I don't. I think a new kicker with a better leg might be able to though.

Coverage teams have been pretty decent though so while some areas need improvement not everything is bad.

KR blocking is non-existant, we've returned like 3 punts all year, and there are a lot of huge, huge issues on our FG unit. I really think we need to invest in a ST guru...hell, go poach Rutgers' guy (not sure who it is).

At RB I'm not sold on Smith but after Prince Tyson's last game he showed me some skills I wasn't sure he had, it's too bad we won't be able to see him the rest of the season. I still think AAM is going to be good, might start out slow with real reps next year but get better as the season goes on. My AAM prediction is completely unfounded other then watching his H.S. tapes I think this kid is going to be really good and have a real solid career by the time he graduates.

No, I just think we have some young guys. Ross will be experienced but I'm think more along the lines of our freshman kicker, our freshman KOR guy, out RF PR and even our freshman long snapper (only punt snapping right now) hopefully taking over all duties. We are real young in some of these specials. And yes, the 4 headed ST coach thing has to change.

I watched the Rutgers game again last night as well as parts of the USC and Wake games and really feel as if we could be something next year. The youth on this team is better than i have seen in many years and it is only going to get better. Next year we have pretty much the entire D back. Add in Davis at LB Coleman and Brantley at DT and a kid like Eskrdige in the secondary and we are really going to be talented and deep.

Specials will improve as well with Fisher and Kraut having another year under their belt.

On the O side every position should be improved with the exception of RB which scares the heck out of me as we are talented but thin in numbers. The Oline will improve as i see Alexander stepping in and Up for Hays. Nassib will be that much better add in our young WR's Hale, Foster,West, Flemming, along with Alex and a seasoned Kobena and Grahm. Newcomers like Trudo, Parris at TE, Broyld and Smallwood and we have the makings of a team that will be able to play with anyone on the schedule. If we can just add another impact RB or if Devante is the real deal we should be set. The future is bright and young as we prepare for the ACC

F next year. Let's win now.

KR blocking is non-existant, we've returned like 3 punts all year, and there are a lot of huge, huge issues on our FG unit. I really think we need to invest in a ST guru...hell, go poach Rutgers' guy (not sure who it is).

Agree with this. And with the way we grind out wins, we need to be winning special teams.

If Kill is out at Minny I wouldn't mind grabbing Jay Sawvel from that staff. He was in charge of STs with Kill at SIU and NIU and both were good units.

If Kill is out at Minny I wouldn't mind grabbing Jay Sawvel from that staff. He was in charge of STs with Kill at SIU and NIU and both were good units.

We have to find something for Anselmo to do though. He's Marrone's Deleone. Maybe he can take over OC.

I'm less concerned with the RBs than the OL. A good OL can make any RB look good. If SU had better players, on the OL, they would be playing. That is downright scary.

Next year "could" be special but we will only go as far as our running game goes (OL and RB). The defense will be special, the passing game will be very good and even the specials should be much much better overall.
what kind of passing yardage per game do you consider to be very good?

what kind of passing yardage per game do you consider to be very good?

Approaching 300 ypg, although the perfet balance IMO would be 250/150 but I don't see us getting 150 ypg on the ground so the passing game will have to be near 300 ypg.

Approaching 300 ypg, although the perfet balance IMO would be 250/150 but I don't see us getting 150 ypg on the ground so the passing game will have to be near 300 ypg.
There is no way nassib throws for 300 ypg next year. you're saying you're expecting a top 10 passing attack. "approaching" gives you some wiggle room but I think that's crazy talk.

250 puts you in the top 35. that would be quite an improvement.

go look at passing attacks that got 300 ypg last year. hawaii, ok st, oklahoma, arkansas, houston, texas tech, arizona. that's what we should be doing

There is no way nassib throws for 300 ypg next year. you're saying you're expecting a top 10 passing attack. "approaching" gives you some wiggle room but I think that's crazy talk.

250 puts you in the top 35. that would be quite an improvement.

go look at passing attacks that got 300 ypg last year. hawaii, ok st, oklahoma, arkansas, houston, texas tech, arizona. that's what we should be doing

he's at 230 ypg this year. another 40-50 ypg isn't crazy. our opponents average 280ypg.

Im sorry but as long as we are running this scheme on offense, ain't nothing going to be special. 6 weeks ago, THIS was going to be the year the offense was going to step up, carry the team, etc etc etc. It's madness. The optimisn was based on the great bowl game, I understand but this offense still sucks and always will until Doug changes the system.

One good game does not on offense make, nor does average proudction versus MAC and 1AA programs.

I understand but this offense still sucks and always will until Doug changes the system.
s.

Or until he opens up the playbook that he has - if it's in there. It was obvious we didn't run things the last 2 years because we didn't want to make mistakes on offense. I thought we might be past that and it seems like the playcalling is still based on that same logic of don't do anything to crazy. I'm not looking for crazy but get the ball down the field sometimes. You have to run the ball to relieve defensive pressure - you have to throw the ball down the field to do that too. If your doing both then you start to open everything else up that playcalling is trying to do now.

he's at 230 ypg this year. another 40-50 ypg isn't crazy. our opponents average 280ypg.
falling for the stats against new england 1AA schools.

how many years in a row are we going to fall for this?

but let's assume he stays at 230

230 to 280 takes you from 50th to 19th.

if he could throw a deep ball at all, sure, maybe they could make that jump. but i'm not holding my breath

Im sorry but as long as we are running this scheme on offense, ain't nothing going to be special. 6 weeks ago, THIS was going to be the year the offense was going to step up, carry the team, etc etc etc. It's madness. The optimisn was based on the great bowl game, I understand but this offense still sucks and always will until Doug changes the system.

One good game does not on offense make, nor does average proudction versus MAC and 1AA programs.

I don't know that next year will be special either and I agree with the general opinion on this offensive scheme. But, while I can't speak for everyone, I know for me my thinking in the preseason was that the offense was going to HAVE to carry more of the load. Not so much that they would actually be ready for it. So far they haven't been but I'm not sure I ever bought into the "this'll be the year" for the offense talk.

falling for the stats against new england 1AA schools.

how many years in a row are we going to fall for this?

but let's assume he stays at 230

230 to 280 takes you from 50th to 19th.

if he could throw a deep ball at all, sure, maybe they could make that jump. but i'm not holding my breath

it all comes out in the wash. everyone plays against a 1aa. so the stats are apples to apples. regardless of where it would rank us in ypg, i don't see any reason why we can't have 15-20% increase. i guess the only thing that could hold it back is if we don't pass enough to get there but i think we pass a lot next year due to the rb position. but i do know soe coaches feel that a 200/200 balance is perfect.

Based on how the young defense has improved in a short amount of time, the experienced offensive line, the experienced QB, and strength at WR, this season could have been/be really special. But we may have hit a ceiling with the coaching staff, not including Shafer.

I go back and look at the Rutgers game and I see one of the worst called games I've ever watched, losing to an absolutely terrible team.

At RB I'm not sold on Smith but after Prince Tyson's last game he showed me some skills I wasn't sure he had, it's too bad we won't be able to see him the rest of the season. I still think AAM is going to be good, might start out slow with real reps next year but get better as the season goes on. My AAM prediction is completely unfounded other then watching his H.S. tapes I think this kid is going to be really good and have a real solid career by the time he graduates.

I think having PTG would've won us the game last Saturday and I think he'll win us quite a few games moving forward. Antwon Bailey is serviceable (when he can hold onto the ball) but at this point it appears that's his ceiling. Next year PTG+AAM > AB+JS. Senior Nassib, Senior Lemon + West + 1 of Hale, Foster, Kobena being at least a threat looks plausible. I love Chew and what he can do, but any 1 of West, Hale, or Foster should be able to do one thing he can't... break press coverage. West looked a very "natural" WR in the Toledo game and I'll be interested to see what he can do in a bigger role.

This season is not yet lost but we were always going to be better next year, especially on defense. If we can get the W vs Tulane and go into the bye week 4-2 with some time to get healthy we could still squeeze 8 wins out of this year. Next year I'm expecting less need to squeeze wins and more return trips from the dome where my voice returns before Tuesday. If losing like this doesn't give our coaches and players a need to go for the kill vs playing to protect a lead then it may never happen.

For all the talk about "lack of overall talent", that wasn't what lost us the game this past week. On defense you can see the talent, and on offense we haven't seen most of Marrone's guys yet but suffice to say I'm remaining optimistic until we get a full product sample. It's still better to start a good (while somewhat limited) upperclassman over someone with more potential but has yet to be proven IMO.

I'm hoping the coaches learned something as it seems they tried to get "cute" and outsmarted themselves quite a few times. As always time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom