NFL overtime rules suck | Syracusefan.com

NFL overtime rules suck

RF2044

Living Legend
Obligatory qualification: the Pats had an epic comeback, can't take anything away from their victory last night. They earned it.

But last night's game outcome just cements for me how much the NFL overtime rules blow. In an incredible game that went to overtime, it seems unsatisfying to have one team not even get the ball.

And I say that acknowledging that the Pats / Brady had all of the momentum and deserved to win in OT, and that the Falcons collapsed and folded like a pup tent. It just feels like the NFL needs to figure something else out. The old system of sudden death was a lousy approach, and so is the current set of rules.

Seems dumb that the winner or loser of the Super Bowl could come down to winning a coin toss.

Obligatory qualification: the Pats had an epic comeback, can't take anything away from their victory last night. They earned it.

But last night's game outcome just cements for me how much the NFL overtime rules blow. In an incredible game that went to overtime, it seems unsatisfying to have one team not even get the ball.

And I say that acknowledging that the Pats / Brady had all of the momentum and deserved to win in OT, and that the Falcons collapsed and folded like a pup tent. It just feels like the NFL needs to figure something else out. The old system of sudden death was a lousy approach, and so is the current set of rules.

Seems dumb that the winner or loser of the Super Bowl could come down to winning a coin toss.
Better than it used to be where you win the toss - kick a FG and it's over. I'd like a modified version of college. Maybe start at the 40 yard line instead of the 25.

I have no problem with the NFL ot rules, much better than the old one.

I'm not a huge fan of the college rules, OT resembles the regulation play much less in college than in the NFL, if that makes sense.

They fixed half of it by not letting a FG end it.. now fix the whole thing. especially in a playoff game where there is no tomorrow.

I have no problem with the NFL ot rules, much better than the old one.

I'm not a huge fan of the college rules, OT resembles the regulation play much less in college than in the NFL, if that makes sense.

I do--especially in the playoffs / Super Bowl.

Here's a thought. Put both teams (11 guys each) on their own 25 yard line. Send Gaga back to the roof with the ball. Drop the ball. Let the teams fight it out to recover the ball. Whoever recovers gets the ball first.

I do--especially in the playoffs / Super Bowl.

Do you want college rules? or do you say New England has to kick off and Atlanta gets a chance to tie it? i could be talked into the second one

Do you want college rules? or do you say New England has to kick off and Atlanta gets a chance to tie it? i could be talked into the second one

No, I agree with you that the college rules are asinine.

I think I'd lean toward having a fixed amount of time. 5 minutes might be too short [especially with a running clock], each team might barely get one possession, so maybe 8 or 10 minutes to play it out and come what may.

I just don't like a coin toss giving one team a chance to win and another team not getting a chance to touch the ball, in a situation where teams battle it out and end up tied at the end of regulation.

I wholeheartedly agree RF. I have been annoyed with this rule for quite some time and knew eventually it would mar a superbowl. I am not a fan for against either of these teams. I do think that since the Pats had such a great comeback, nobody cares that much about the OT flaws in this case because it "seems right" that they won after the comeback. Nevermind that is completely flawed logic, I get it drives how people react.

Just know - if Brady was left helpless on the sideline as Ryan marched the Falcons down for the win last night, this rule would probably already be overturned by now.

Option 2 that you give seems like a no brainer to me.

The college rule would suck for a big game, I think its fair the way it is now, don't let them drive the length of the field and put it in the end zone.

The current NFL OT rules are fine IMO. Don't give up a first possession TD and you get a possession. If you can't stop a team from scoring a TD the other team has earned it.
The Pats have been on both sides of the fence with these rules. They lost to Jets last year without getting the ball as the Jets scored a first possession TD. The Jets earned that win.
The Packers lost at Seattle 2 years ago in OT in the NFC title game and Seattle scored a first possession TD.
Same thing for GB in Arizona last year. The cardinals scored a TD after the Rodgers Hail Mary forced OT.

Your D should stop a TD.

Not a fan of the college system. The NFL changed the rules so a first possession FG didn't end games.

I mean who forgets the Tim Tebow to Demarius thomas OT TD.

The current NFL OT rules are fine IMO. Don't give up a first possession TD and you get a possession. If you can't stop a team from scoring a TD the other team has earned it.
The Pats have been on both sides of the fence with these rules. They lost to Jets last year without getting the ball as the Jets scored a first possession TD. The Jets earned that win.
The Packers lost at Seattle 2 years ago in OT in the NFC title game and Seattle scored a first possession TD.
Same thing for GB in Arizona last year. The cardinals scored a TD after the Rodgers Hail Mary forced OT.

Your D should stop a TD.

Not a fan of the college system. The NFL changed the rules so a first possession FG didn't end games.

I mean who forgets the Tim Tebow to Demarius thomas OT TD.

The problem I have with this is that in football, the offense and the defense are completely different teams. Different players and even different coaches. So not stopping a team from scoring is only half of the game and only puts half of the team in the game. Your logic could apply to regulation time: if the team that wins the toss scores a TD on their first possession, game over. Nobody would support that, why would anyone support it for OT?

Bottom line: when your sport's championship is determined by a system where I personally had the exact same amount of influence on the outcome as the league MVP did, something is broken.

The problem I have with this is that in football, the offense and the defense are completely different teams. Different players and even different coaches. So not stopping a team from scoring is only half of the game and only puts half of the team in the game. Your logic could apply to regulation time: if the team that wins the toss scores a TD on their first possession, game over. Nobody would support that, why would anyone support it for OT?
We are talking about Overtime though not regulation.
The new OT rules in the NFL have made it that all your defense has to do is not give up a touchdown.
If you keep them out of the end zone you get a possession.
I think the rule is fine.
The old rule was sudden death. This modified rule is good IMO.
I respect other sides though as I don't see anyone's opinion is more right than anyone else's.

We are talking about Overtime though not regulation.
The new OT rules in the NFL have made it that all your defense has to do is not give up a touchdown.
If you keep them out of the end zone you get a possession.
I think the rule is fine.
The old rule was sudden death. This modified rule is good IMO.
I respect other sides though as I don't see anyone's opinion is more right than anyone else's.

I agree it is better than before but it is still a limited sudden death. On top of the inherent unevenness about the way it is now, imagine how awesome the alternative could have been: the two best QB's and two best teams going punch for punch until somebody wins. It could have been epic. Just from a marketing point of view, what a lost opportunity for the NFL.

They should just kick, turn-by-turn, with each subsequent kick being 10 yards further out until someone misses. It's like penalty kicks. And everyone loves kickers deciding games, right?

;):confused::)

If Ryan didn't get sacked, and /or there was no penalty, Atlanta may have scored a FG and OT may never have happened. They didn't execute when they had a chance.

This philosophy is true throughout the game. NE executed down the stretch and gave themselves an opportunity to win.

Here's a thought. Put both teams (11 guys each) on their own 25 yard line. Send Gaga back to the roof with the ball. Drop the ball. Let the teams fight it out to recover the ball. Whoever recovers gets the ball first.
What would happen if they drop Lady Gaga instead? Ends up in a tie?