Nice to see Doug Marrone | Syracusefan.com

Nice to see Doug Marrone

Said hi to Marrone at the Hardwood dinner lasts week. At the time he was sitting all alone after just walking in, so I felt sorry for him;)

Shook his hand, told him that even though I'm a Bucs fan I was rooting for him, and thanked him for what he did for the program.

Seemed very appreciative. Still like the guy, after all he brought us HCSS!

at the BB game in Buffalo. Decked out top to bottom in Orange gear. Good job, Doug!
Got to say hello to him after the game and get a picture with him. He was terrific posing for pictures and very patient. Good to see him there...Thanked him for all he did to turn the program around. He basically did a fifteen year job in roughly 1/3 of the time.

SUOrange44

Said hi to Marrone at the Hardwood dinner lasts week. At the time he was sitting all alone after just walking in, so I felt sorry for him;)

Shook his hand, told him that even though I'm a Bucs fan I was rooting for him, and thanked him for what he did for the program.
s a seven
He make a seven figure income , so you shouldn't feel too sorry for him.

Doug was at the game yesterday, in his usual game gear, including his famous SU visor. Still loves Syracuse, he is a proud alum who loves his school.

He was there to take Greg Paulus to dinner assuming Ohio State won. Since that didn't happen, he stayed at the game meeting up with friends and fans and took a lot of pictures with anyone who wanted pics also who wanted to chat.

He already had this block of time scheduled to be with Greg P and took the opportunity to enjoy himself a little with the fan base (since he is knee deep in the draft process) - saw him get lots of hugs from people too.

Doug was at the game yesterday, in his usual game gear, including his famous SU visor. Still loves Syracuse, he is a proud alum who loves his school.

I've felt all along that some of the hard feelings toward Marrone would dissolve if Shafer was successful, and that HCDM's tenure here would be remembered more fondly over time if Shafer took the program to the next step of the rebuild.

Some of the vitriol expressed at the time of his departure was too over the top for me. Especially toward an alum who'd salvaged the program.

I've felt all along that some of the hard feelings toward Marrone would dissolve if Shafer was successful, and that HCDM's tenure here would be remembered more fondly over time if Shafer took the program to the next step of the rebuild.

Some of the vitriol expressed at the time of his departure was too over the top for me. Especially toward an alum who'd salvaged the program.

Well said. Exactly right on all points.

RF2044 said:
I've felt all along that some of the hard feelings toward Marrone would dissolve if Shafer was successful, and that HCDM's tenure here would be remembered more fondly over time if Shafer took the program to the next step of the rebuild. Some of the vitriol expressed at the time of his departure was too over the top for me. Especially toward an alum who'd salvaged the program.

Exactly. In the end people were the most upset about the staff being poached (our staff now is pretty good - hope abounds) and some prized recruits getting away (not as big a deal now... Zach who?)

Some of the vitriol expressed at the time of his departure was too over the top for me.
Well... yeah, mine was intentionally over the top.

It was for comedic/board stress release purposes, but it definitely was over the top.

Well... yeah, mine was intentionally over the top.

It was for comedic/board stress release purposes, but it definitely was over the top.

I'm not pointing any fingers. And I get why people were upset--both by the nature of his departure and the subsequent poaching of the staff. I just feel like the guy deserves a TON of credit for taking us from being the worst, hands down, BCS program in college football to a program that won 2 bowls in a mere four years.

I do feel like he left before the job was complete. And I also recognize that maybe he wasn't the right guy [on the recruiting trail, specifically] to take things to the next level. Maybe Shafer is; time will tell.

I'm not pointing any fingers. And I get why people were upset--both by the nature of his departure and the subsequent poaching of the staff. I just feel like the guy deserves a TON of credit for taking us from being the worst, hands down, BCS program in college football to a program that won 2 bowls in a mere four years.

I do feel like he left before the job was complete. And I also recognize that maybe he wasn't the right guy [on the recruiting trail, specifically] to take things to the next level. Maybe Shafer is; time will tell.

Not sure whether or not it's fair to say he was not the guy to take things to the next level from a recruiting standpoint. My feeling is we just don't really know. He was starting from such a low point in the image of the program, recruiting had to be a real grind. With a few winning seasons, things may have been much different. As I said, not sure.

Not sure whether or not it's fair to say he was not the guy to take things to the next level from a recruiting standpoint. My feeling is we just don't really know. He was starting from such a low point in the image of the program, recruiting had to be a real grind. With a few winning seasons, things may have been much different. As I said, not sure.

We don't know, but maybe he did.

We don't know, but maybe he did.

Maybe. I agree with those who say he didn't enjoy recruiting. But that's not to say he couldn't have developed a staff capable of doing it.

Maybe. I agree with those who say he didn't enjoy recruiting. But that's not to say he couldn't have developed a staff capable of doing it.

That's true.

Doug wasn't meant to be a college coach. He doesn't the personality to deal with today's teenagers

I don't know I think the knock on him not being able to recruit is the most common overstatement on this board. I mean look at what he was brought into, and the state of our facilities at the time. Everything was bottom of the barrel. By the end of his 3rd year I actually thought we had a very good class, and looks like it could be the class that helps take us to the next level next year. While he maybe wasn't the most ra ra, aggressive guy like Addazio, or the charismatic personality like Franklin, he had his own way of efficiency that led to some very good under the radar home runs. A lot was made of his checklist that he had in order for a recruit to receive a scholarship offer. A lot of that stuff was very detailed, and extremely precise, so he know exactly what he was looking for that would fit best into his scheme. IMO his ability to identify talent is just as important as being able to sell the program like those guys. His last class that he was building was shaping up to be our best class in a long time. The core had some highly ranked, highly sought after recruits, as everyone saw where they all ended up after he left. I think that class was going to change a lot of peoples perception about Marrone's ability to recruit.

He make a seven figure income , so you shouldn't feel too sorry for him.

The only thing I feel sorry about is the bashing he took when he left for the Bills. I think the consensus here is that he revived a program that was ready to flat line. (And he brought us HCSS.) So he took a pay raise to try to revive another near-moribund program? Good for him--I hope he succeeds , even though I'm not a Bills fan. Any success he achieves will reflect nicely onto our program.

Thanks again, Doug!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom